Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682845 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 31, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
What system should I use to game this scenario? Pulp Alley, Infinity, Combat Zone? :)

Pulp Alley. Vehicle rules are coming  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #511 on: January 31, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
I suspect that someone misspoke. They probably pulped them as is typical in the book market.

Pulped fiction?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
Pulped fiction?

You're starting to get a reputation you know  ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
Nope, they was burnt......
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #514 on: January 31, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »
You're starting to get a reputation you know  ;)

Story of my life.

I don't like the destruction of books and I don't like waste. The thought of something someone will want being willfully destroyed just angers me. What a pointless waste.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #515 on: January 31, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Nope, they was burnt......

Really? I thought you were joking. Really, burning?

Even in ass-backwards Kansas people donate books for pulping into mulch or something.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #516 on: January 31, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
Is it wrong that I'm not in the least bit surprised? :)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #517 on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »
Hmm, cutting the suit tighter and getting rid of more difficult assets. Gee, if I wasn't such an idiot I'd say that they're artificially strenghtening the share value and are readying themselves for a sale...

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #518 on: January 31, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
I think you probably find that the reason for NOT having a fire sale is they are going to sell the same products but in a different format. Metal for plastic, paper for PDF. The old classic metal minis for example were turned into finecast.  They probably don't want you getting something cheap that they can sell to you for an inflated price later!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #519 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
So a bloke at the club (not me, honest!) got copies of both new mags and I...er...happened to catch a glimpse...

WD: Pretty similar to the previous version, only thinner. New releases, basic painting guides, stats for one special character, a couple of columns or other blurb. No battle report this time. I'd say it's largely what you'd expect as a GW gamer/collector. (If you aren't either, why are you browsing bloody WD in the first place?)

Visions: Still a bit baffling. Boatloads of pictures, really. Little else. The first 50 pages were studio tyranids from a zillion angles. The last 50 were the same. First shown alone, then in totally staged action shots fighting orks, (ultra)marines, chaos and so on. Inbetween there was actually surprisingly plenty of GD and custom army showcase stuff. Forge World too, which was sort of interesting as well. You don't see those in every box cover, and they're doing better weathering etc. on them. Finally, there was some obligatory LotR and a few conversion articles, if you dare to call those four lines of text per page in three languages an article.

The smaller page size of Visions is a mixed bag. On one hand, you'd like to have larger photos in a mag which is effectively only about photos. Some larger scenes are rotated, spread over two pages, or even fold out to four. None of those are particularly convenient for viewing. On the other hand, a mini on a flat brown slottabase doesn't really look good blown up to full or even half page size. Especially studio's standard army paintjobs aren't really interesting or detailed enough for that.

If you don't like bog standard studio tyranids (or whatever is the army of the month) and can't get excited about the "battle scenes", that's about 100 pages wasted right there. Then again, there's still over 100 remaining and some of it is quite neat unless you're categorically against all things GW. (Why are you browsing a mag called "Warhammer Visions" then?) Because there's no text to speak about, no real effort is required going through the whole thing. On positive note, there are hardly any ads as in "buy this box for 40e". Surely there are 236 pages of pics of Citadel minis without price tags but shouldn't come as a surprise.

To be honest, I would have preferred keeping WD thick and monthly with all those studio promo pics of latest armies there, and a thin mag of GD/FW stuff at 3e. I just can't see myself shelling out 9e for too many photos of box cover minis with a few unseen gems buried inbetween. Nevertheless, take a look yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #520 on: January 31, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »
I'll have a shufty tomorrow if they're in WHSmiths. Not going in the GW though  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #521 on: February 01, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »
New dwarfs are in now. Didn't realise that the trollslayers are still in metal.

Anyone think the new dragon slayer looks like Obelix with a Mohawk?  lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:43:13 AM by beefcake »

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #522 on: February 01, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
I have to admit as a decision I hate it. I stopped buying white dwarf when it become £5.50 the last format change, I was reluctant enough to buy it £4.50 even, but at £7 for a visions which is just a load of photos and £2.50 for a 35 page magazine of stuff i can read on their website they must be having a laugh. i want ARTICLES ON GAMING MODELLING AND PAINTING not what new over priced models they have out and a bunch of pretty pictures. But than there are people out there who will buy it religiously which means they dont care about the loss of other custom.

This is just my opinion though...

Totally agree. Just wrote to GW asking them to cancel my subscription to White Dwarf. This change wasn't asked for nor is it wanted/needed in my opinion. They're just trying to soak around £124 a year out of readers for the slimmed down, got-to go-to the-workshop-every-Saturday-to-get-it version of WD. The Visions magazine is worthless as it's just a collection of pictures that you could only replicate if you had a lottery win to buy all the figures.

I've not always agreed with the "Evil Empire" view of GW that's around these days as I've had a lot of fun with their products over the years but, sadly, they've completely lost me as a customer over this  one.

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
« Reply #523 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »
My copies arrived in the mail today. WD is an interesting mix, though I cannot image that they'll keep printing this for long, I am sure it's just the predecessor of a purely digital format. Visions is actually quite good, finally there are some high res detail shots of Eavy Metal painting. I don't care about any text, so it's more or less what I hoped for.
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #524 on: February 01, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
It was wrapped in plastic so I didn't bother  :?

Does this effect anyone else (I would imagine that it does) that if you can't flip through then you don't buy?

cheers

James
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:35:17 PM by jimbibbly »