Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683167 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #645 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »
I thought it said 8" tall? Off to check...
Nope you're right 6", not as good a deal as I thought now  lol

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #646 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »

They pulled a stealth change as it said 8" over the weekend. Overcompensating, as ever.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #647 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »
But are those 6 inches true inches or GW's heroic scale inches?  lol
But seriously, that makes it chest high to a stompa... rather sad, seing how the old epic knights and stompas compared to each others.

Right now GW is just making the Dreamforge Leviathan look like a better deal.
I mean, the Knight is € 18 per inch... The Leviathan comes out at € 11 to 14 per inch, depending on where you buy it. Plus, it can actually look a stompa in the eye, like a Knight is supposed to.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #648 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
It doesn't really matter if it is 6" or 8" it really comes down to girth and how you use it.

That is what I have been told anyways....

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #649 on: February 25, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »

I agree with you that DIFFINATELY said 8" the first time I read it! I wonder how that would stand up to people's consumer rights? Is that false advertising?

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #650 on: February 25, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »
I agree with you that DIFFINATELY said 8" the first time I read it! I wonder how that would stand up to people's consumer rights? Is that false advertising?

Nah, its called a mistake.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #651 on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »
I dunno, getting your measurements wrong by 25% is quite an error is certain circles...
I'm just glad the staffer who made the error isn't a carpenter or contractor.  ;D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #652 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
They pulled a stealth change as it said 8" over the weekend. Overcompensating, as ever.

????? WHAT?!? Were they using the wrong tape measure or was a chimp measuring it?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #653 on: February 26, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
We all know that GW prices are ridiculous (well, we mostly agree on that...) but now I am going to propose something really radical for this thread.

How about we all start to say what we DO like about GW?

I am with the majority on this subject, having been a GW gamer and now no longer, but before I stopped playing GW games (mostly, as I will still play the occasional game of Mordheim) I was a fan of their systems and miniatures.

In fact, like many, it was GW that got me into the hobby in a big way in the first place.
I remember walking into the Rye Stamp and Hobby shop in Peckham in 1985 with instructions to buy myself some stamps, as that was the hobby that I was supposed to be getting into, and instead, seeing cabinet after cabinet of metal miniatures looking back at me.

That was it for the stamps, I can tell ya!

I ended up going home with a box of ECW figures as they were on sale in the 10p box.
I had no real idea what they were, I just slapped paint on them....badly.
That did not matter, though, as I was soon back again, but this time I was eyeing up the fantasy figures.

And you all know the story from there.....fantasy figures, Warhammer, 40k and Blood Bowl (first edition) and Battlecars all followed swiftly.

Add to that the roleplaying in the worlds of Judge Dredd, Golden Heroes and Middle Earth, GW was responsible for a lot of really good times for me and my mates.

I am sure that for a lot of you it was the same.

I was fortunate enough to become involved in the hobby in what I consider the 'Golden Years' of GW, the eighties and nineties.
I may not like the direction that the company has gone in for the last decade or so, but without GW I would not be still enjoying this wonderful hobby now.

I am sure a lot of you also have many fond memories of playing their games.

So, I have to say: Thank You Games Workshop.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #654 on: February 26, 2014, 08:35:54 AM »

How about we all start to say what we DO like about GW?

I thought most people were actually saying that they liked the new Knight miniature (Maxiature?) I like it.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #655 on: February 26, 2014, 08:39:01 AM »
I thought most people were actually saying that they liked the new Knight miniature (Maxiature?) I like it.

Well, in general, this thread does tend to end up in a bit of a 'GW bash'. so I thought that I would look for some positive things to say, and ask others for their good points about the company....

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #656 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
I was 11 when I attended a hobby fair at my local folk hall. I didn't know it was on. I was at the park with some friends and I wandered in wondering what the fair was. I only had £1 on me but I ended up buying a Grey Knight Terminator. The bloke who babysat for my siblings and I was into 40k and he told me what I'f bought. He'd just grown out of the hobby (like some people do ???) and gave me a box full of metal Space Marines and Eldar. All Rogue Trader stuff. I painted them horribly.  :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #657 on: February 26, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Well, in general, this thread does tend to end up in a bit of a 'GW bash'. so I thought that I would look for some positive things to say, and ask others for their good points about the company....

You're right there.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #658 on: February 26, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
I once won a short essay contest with 'The Portal' magazine (it's a free download, available via WaMP), with something called 'The Acorn'. It was basically a wee bunch of words describing how it used to feel to go down to the local toyshop and buy a min with my sweaty 50p coin that represented my pocket money.

That feeling has never left me and nostlagia still motivates me now. I love toy soldiers. Citadel didn't start it (Arifix did) but they did fuel it. Aah, those weekends spent in the garage with my brother playing vast Warhammer (First Edition) games on a bit sheet of chipboard.

His Bugman's Rangers always shot down pretty much everything that trudged its weary way forward and then chopped up what was left. In fact I only ever won one game, because his guys took shelter inside a big fort and shut the door and I happened to have taken an Earth Elemental Wizard, who promply brought the whole thing down.

Citadel and Games Workshop have pushed the whole miniatures industry forward and forced other manufacturers to develop at a similar rate or be left behind. Their pioneers of the 80's and 90's have scattered their influence way beyond fantasy and sci-fi and we wouldn't have the same range or quality of products available today had they not been so determined to push the boundaries of making pretty toys.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #659 on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
I think, most of us have, at some point, given GW credit for the impact that it had on the world of gaming with miniatures. I know I did, for one, arguably probably a long time ago. The big problem is, that most of the good things it/they did, really also happened a long time ago.

I already collected and painted 1/72 plastics (napoleonics), but GW made me delve into the world of 28 mm gaming, for sure. I also collected quite a bunch of their miniatures and rules, but mostly before the coming of the internet, when nothing else was readily available. Even then, I think I only ever played one single game of Warhamster, and 2 (I think) games og 40K.

Thing is, the minis, fluff, and imagery appealed to me, the rules did not. Had my local games shop (which I ended op managing for a period of 5½ year) had other rulesets and minis to offer (or if the internet had appeared in full force a bit earlier), I think I might have been much more into the 28 mm hobby much earlier. As it came to happen, I had a long pause from it, going back to 1/72, until my brain fostered an urge to do something RPG-inspired/Call of Cthulhu-style/Indiana Jones flavoured gaming, and I started searching the internet and found the 'pulp'-gaming genre, and the Prof's websites showing all kinds of pulpy minis (that was even before this forum was created).

I still from time to time tried to re-evoke some interest in the 40K-univetse, but after a short burst of effort, I always turned away from a half-finished project.

I did collect almost every mini made for the LotR:SBG, and would have continued collecting stuff for the Hobbit, had the prices not sky-rocketed. I kind of like(d) the different approach of the rules, alhough they do not really contain an incentive to have individual models running around and fighting on their own, but favour ganging up.

I have now put all my 40K-stuff in a couple of big cardboard boxes in the garage (still thinking that I may use some of it for In the Emperor's Name), and only ever consider buying second-hand stuff, if I should need something for a project.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84