Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:17:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683447 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1005 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
does anyone else think that £50, whilst expensive, is actually not too bad for a nice set of books ?

Its $100 in Canada and it seems like a rather crass cash grab. Two of the three books are fluff and its one thing to charge people for art and/or fluff on its own but to make them a required part of the rules is pretty sh*tty.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #1006 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Unless there is a way to buy the rules separately its still £50 for the rule book. Splitting what would have been in one book into three but making you buy them all at once and then saying "But now you get three books for the price of one" is not providing value.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1007 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
Unless there is a way to buy the rules separately its still £50 for the rule book. Splitting what would have been in one book into three but making you buy them all at once and then saying "But now you get three books for the price of one" is not providing value.

I'm not saying it's value because it's 3 books, im saying it seems cheap given games workshops history of charging a left nut for rulebooks.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1008 on: May 18, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
I dunno. If I was dead set on the game and wanted to treat myself, I'd save up for the £50 and think of it as a naughty indulgence. It's not extortionate if you look at it like that I guess, but it would put me off giving it a try if I wasn't a 100% fan.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #1009 on: May 18, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
I'm not saying it's value because it's 3 books, im saying it seems cheap given games workshops history of charging a left nut for rulebooks.

But isn't it still more expensive than the 6th edition rule book was? by about a tenner if I am not mistaken.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1010 on: May 19, 2014, 01:10:43 AM »
Yeah but that was 2 years ago. We're talking GW inflation here  lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1011 on: May 19, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »

This.

The only advantage I can see to the three volumes over one is that you don't need to bring the other two with you when you go anywhere for a game.

Yeah but that was 2 years ago. We're talking GW inflation here  lol

I thought that 6E was £50 as well?

The only thing I noticed as "better value" was that the digital editions are finally (slightly) cheaper than the dead-tree versions.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1012 on: May 19, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »
..., I'd save up for the £50 and think of it as a naughty indulgence.
Well, if I had £50 surplus to requirements, I could think of a whole host of naughty indulgences to spend it on, before I'd consider a GW book...*  :D
And that despite having been a long time fan and a compulsive completist who owns at least the starter set/core rules of all previous editions.

*:Don't worry, almost all would involve either little toy men or support/reference material for little toy men anyway...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1013 on: May 19, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
Well, if I had £50 surplus to requirements, I could think of a whole host of naughty indulgences to spend it on, before I'd consider a GW book...*  :D
And that despite having been a long time fan and a compulsive completist who owns at least the starter set/core rules of all previous editions.

*:Don't worry, almost all would involve either little toy men or support/reference material for little toy men anyway...

I have most rulebooks up to.... 4th or 5th Ed. (not sure), after which I simply gave up, realizing that they'll never modernize the mechanics in any noteworthy fashion. Money dearly wasted. I've played the game 3 or 4 time tops in all those years.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1014 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »
[...] I simply gave up, realizing that they'll never modernize the mechanics in any noteworthy fashion.

I don't think that's the writers' fault though; I remember both Tuomas Pirinen and Alessio Cavatore wanting to change core WHFB rules quite fundamentally and were basically told "no" by GW.

Money dearly wasted. I've played the game 3 or 4 time tops in all those years.

Well, not totally wasted; as long as the people you play with are happy to play whatever edition you have the books for, the rules are still "valid". In fact, I'd say that pretty much all editions (bar 4th Edition, which was a particularly broken mess) are equally okay in this respect.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1015 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
I don't think that's the writers' fault though; I remember both Tuomas Pirinen and Alessio Cavatore wanting to change core WHFB rules quite fundamentally and were basically told "no" by GW.

The end result is the same, or have I missed something?

Well, not totally wasted; as long as the people you play with are happy to play whatever edition you have the books for, the rules are still "valid". In fact, I'd say that pretty much all editions (bar 4th Edition, which was a particularly broken mess) are equally okay in this respect.

Buying expensive rulebooks for a system you don't IS a waste of money. I don't play the game, and have only played less than a handful of games over the years. Even my regular gaming buddy who's been stubbornly holding on to a couple of armies, gave up playing the current (2-years old) edition (is it 5th? In that case I have up to 4th).

Stupid of me to keep hoping they'd up their game, but, well, especially before the interweb, not much else that GW stuff was easily available, and with AC writing... 3rd?... edition, I had my hopes up for a simpler, more fluent game (which, in fact, I think it was, until they started messing things up with all the special rules in the expansions).

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1016 on: May 19, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »
The end result is the same, or have I missed something?

You haven't missed anything. However, I mention it as buying and then complaining that editions don't change much is a given - and not just because the people who write the rules disagree with you.

Buying expensive rulebooks for a system you don't IS a waste of money. I don't play the game, and have only played less than a handful of games over the years. Even my regular gaming buddy who's been stubbornly holding on to a couple of armies, gave up playing the current (2-years old) edition (is it 5th? In that case I have up to 4th).

Stupid of me to keep hoping they'd up their game, but, well, especially before the interweb, not much else that GW stuff was easily available, and with AC writing... 3rd?... edition, I had my hopes up for a simpler, more fluent game (which, in fact, I think it was, until they started messing things up with all the special rules in the expansions).

The current (just pre-released this weekend) version is 7th. So you would have up to 5th edition I think.

If you liked 3rd edition, then stick to that. I liked the "3.5" edition, which was basically 3E with fixed CC rules. Games were fast and the rules were pretty streamlined.

Buying more editions in the hope for radical change though is not wise, as you already note. And after the negative feedback (to put it politely) that GW received when it significantly streamlined and rebalanced WHFB (6E), 40k (3E) and Epic (E:40k), I don't blame them for wanting to preserve the stupid level of pointless rules detail that their main player base seems to demand.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #1017 on: May 19, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »

If you liked 3rd edition, then stick to that. I liked the "3.5" edition, which was basically 3E with fixed CC rules.

What he said!
You dont always have to play the lastest rule set.
And as the are now so many GW rulesets, especially with all the newer supplements, just agree on a set, and use those....

I would argue any set between 3rd - 5th should still work very well for most freindly games.... Or even go back as far as RT if you want the original insane antics of a true period ruleset!
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1018 on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
So I was curious about playing with the GW technical paints, you know, the ones introduced only about 6 months ago. I know you can get the same effect using homebrewed material, but I felt like giving them a try.

The closest game store to me was out, so I was calling around looking to see who had them all in. Well, one store I rang up said they were limited edition and were now discontinued. I did eventually find a shop that had some, but that still threw me way off.

WTF?!? Who makes limited edition paint!?!?! That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Even by GW standards!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:49:09 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1019 on: May 20, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »

WTF?!? Who makes limited edition paint!?!?! That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Even by GW standards!

Everything these days has to be 'limited ed.', 'kickstarter exclusive', and what have we... All designed to force us to make rash buying decisions.

But yes, the stupidity doesn't seem to come to an end. I own only a few of the new(est) GW paints, and I'm replacing my old ones with Foundry and Vallejo, not even bothering to go to the local hobby stores to buy paint anymore, as it is cheaper for me to buy online (from Miniaturicum), including postage, per bottle/pot.