Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682762 times)

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 24, 2014, 05:22:32 PM »
But to be more serious for a moment I dont really disagree with you nice-e. In terms of the quantity and the production quality of the plastics, then the question of cost isnt so clear. Like with the recent imperial knight, I think many people decided in the end that it was pretty good value.

Problem I always have with this stuff is not the price, but the design element and the corporate strategy behind it. They are designed to be as non-generic as pos, to minimise compatibility with anything else. and then there is the planned obsolescence built into everything of course. all the stuff we have discussed ad infinitum here, but I´ve said it again.

I remember reading an article by a fantasy author who freelanced for GW during the end of the Ansell era and he was saying that the highups at that time were morbidly obsessed with their intellectual property. They just took it to its logical extreme in recent years. The strange "architectural" designs of the models are so singularly odd that I suppose it defines them uniquely as Warhammer.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1051 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07:12 PM »
But to be more serious for a moment I dont really disagree with you nice-e. In terms of the quantity and the production quality of the plastics, then the question of cost isnt so clear. Like with the recent imperial knight, I think many people decided in the end that it was pretty good value.

Problem I always have with this stuff is not the price, but the design element and the corporate strategy behind it. They are designed to be as non-generic as pos, to minimise compatibility with anything else. and then there is the planned obsolescence built into everything of course. all the stuff we have discussed ad infinitum here, but I´ve said it again.

I remember reading an article by a fantasy author who freelanced for GW during the end of the Ansell era and he was saying that the highups at that time were morbidly obsessed with their intellectual property. They just took it to its logical extreme in recent years. The strange "architectural" designs of the models are so singularly odd that I suppose it defines them uniquely as Warhammer.

well for me that isn't too much of an issue since i like to game in the warhammer world, just not with the warhammer rules.

I suppose i'm looking at it as making molehills out of mountains, breaking down one rather large ungainly thing into several tactile elements that help create a nice thematic set.

Taking the dark elves again, i don't like that model, but i like BITS of it. i wouldn't buy it as "blood cauldron of khaine" but i would buy it as "dark elf cult dungeon pack" .

I think really of course the aesthetics are not going to change if you brake the model into chunks, but it does help you appreciate the many design elements that go into these kits individually, which is often hard when you have an antire grab bag of textures and shapes crammed into one chunky walking church.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1052 on: June 24, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
I quite like that medusa model. A bit too much blood on it though but a nice piece.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1053 on: June 24, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »
I quite like that medusa model. A bit too much blood on it though but a nice piece.

Paint it up as bile or venom?
i think it would be a great end boss.

"Adventurers must defeat the lillith the serpent lich and her dark cult of blood maidens before they can sacrifice the princess and summon the dark god khaines soul into his stone idol."
And right there you've spent £35 on the core of a final dungeon for a short rpg campaign, which to me is worth the price if its all good fun :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1054 on: June 29, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »
My understanding is that the Perrys have left GW. Pretty interesting.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1055 on: June 29, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
 Now that is interesting!  It's hard to think of GW and not think of the Perry's, at least for their long period of contributions to the various lines, even if it was less today.  On the other side, more time for them to expand their own business.  That cant be a bad thing.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1056 on: June 29, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
My understanding is that the Perrys have left GW. Pretty interesting.

That's probably the most interesting news this thread has generated!

Wonder what prompted it - a bad thing for GW, a great thing for historical gamers!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1057 on: June 29, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
Weren't the Perrys only working on LotR (and Hobbit) figures?

This'll surely give them more time to work on their own thing... Win Win  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1058 on: June 29, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
Weren't the Perrys only working on LotR (and Hobbit) figures?

I think that's what they were doing these later years - earlier on they sculpted a lot of minis for GW, especially Bretonnians (surprise!).

But yes, they seem to have a good thing going on with their own ranges, and that's not too shabby!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1059 on: June 29, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
i contacted them once asking if there was any chance of them releasing fantasy lines as well as historical ones, and they said that they couldn't due to their contract with games workshop.
Obviously historicals are where their hearts are , but it'd be all kinds of nice to see them release a couple of fantasy kits to spice up the war of the roses.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1060 on: June 30, 2014, 01:22:42 AM »
You know, I'd actually thought they had stopped working for GW a few years back!  ;D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #1061 on: June 30, 2014, 01:28:17 AM »
i contacted them once asking if there was any chance of them releasing fantasy lines as well as historical ones, and they said that they couldn't due to their contract with games workshop.
Obviously historicals are where their hearts are , but it'd be all kinds of nice to see them release a couple of fantasy kits to spice up the war of the roses.

Surely the non compete would only be for X amount of time, I doubt it would be permeant.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1062 on: June 30, 2014, 01:37:52 AM »
I would imagine if they aren't working for them any longer that would cease a contract holding them to this. I doubt GW would put that into a contract for fear of driving them away earlier. (I say doubt, but wouldn't be surprised if they did)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1063 on: June 30, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
You know, I'd actually thought they had stopped working for GW a few years back!  ;D

Me too.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1064 on: June 30, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
I would imagine if they aren't working for them any longer that would cease a contract holding them to this. I doubt GW would put that into a contract for fear of driving them away earlier. (I say doubt, but wouldn't be surprised if they did)

How would that even work? An employment contract not allowing you to produce a particular type of product after you stop being employed by said company?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)