Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742799 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3165 on: June 30, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
Interesting. I may pick up the WD from an only seller. No hobby stores within 10km stock WD.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3166 on: June 30, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
Latest from BOLS (sorry gents, but sometimes these things have to be done, be brave):-

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/age-of-sigmar-world-background-more-rules.html

Sounds like Mr Mersey has been moonlighting in Nottingham!

Honestly, some of that stuff seems...not all that bad! I mean, there's still a lot of questions to answer, but I foresaw it being a lot worse than that.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3167 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
Depends what you want from a game I guess. Super sleek, fast and simple rules. Bingo, you win. If you like the older, more traditional, deeper games, sorry, you lose. Winners and losers, hence the mass debating (oo-er missus) on other forums.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3168 on: June 30, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Latest from BOLS (sorry gents, but sometimes these things have to be done, be brave):-

Hold my hand?

– Nine Mortal Realms, all based on the eight colours of magic, and Chaos makes nine.

Not sure I like that. Now, instead of being classed by race or allegiance, all the different factions are defined by colour. Suddenly I can see segments of these sigmarites - whatchamacallits, stormcast eternals? That's a mouthful - let's call them, 'chapters', based in each realm. So you can have blue sigmarines and red sigmarines and grey sigmarines and...

New names for old races are a bit goofy, but expected. The rules don't seem too bad overall, but that charge and 'battleshock' are going to cause problems, IMO

Battleshock Phase – 2d6 + Casualties. For each point the total beats the unit’s bravery, one model flees and is removed from play. Bravery is +1 for every 10 models in the unit when the test is taken.

So does that imply that that there are going to be many multiples of 10 minis in a unit? Or d'you think it'll be up to two? Anyone else think the randomness is a bit much?

– WD 74 WILL include a free Stormcast Eternal.
– WD 74 will include all four pages of AoS rules in it

Want a look even more now.

– There are no point values in Age of Sigmar.

That'll be interesting.

Age of Sigmar is shaping up to be an entirely different animal than the 8th Edition that came before it – connected only loosely by it’s background and the use of common miniatures.  I am genuinely curious about how the community will react.  I don’t think the industry has EVER seen such a large product range/license go through such a massive reboot.

GW and all of us are in completely uncharted waters here.

I think that's the closest a BoLS blogger is contractually obliged to come to 'GW's doing something that people will hate'.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3169 on: June 30, 2015, 01:28:59 PM »
Now YOU try fitting it to the tune ;D

nnnnnnggggg

Failed  lol

I bet AKB237 could do it though...

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3170 on: June 30, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »
I bet AKB237 could do it though...

Only if they take a word each  ;D

AKB48... my daughter's favourite band when she was about five  >:(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:38:42 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3171 on: June 30, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
That battleshock is awfully similar to 'Test of Courage' in God of Battles, only the casualties and minis are not counted.

Works nicely in GoB.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:32:37 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3172 on: July 01, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
Blimey, do you british need more GW stores? Seems there's another opening. Surely you've hit critical mass now!

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #3173 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:47 PM »
There have been significant leaks on the new Warhammer "Age of Sigmar" edition. I spent a while reading the reactions on Warseer and Dakka Dakka sites. Worth a look for anyone interested in outbreaks of serious nerd rage!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3174 on: July 01, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »
I spent a while reading the reactions on Warseer and Dakka Dakka sites. Worth a look for anyone interested in outbreaks of serious nerd rage!

Well, have you read the rules? (If that word is even applicable here.) They're worth a look for anyone interested in a complete train wreck.

And the concept as a whole is now basically 40k with barely half a fake moustache on for a disguise.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #3175 on: July 01, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »
Well, have you read the rules? (If that word is even applicable here.) They're worth a look for anyone interested in a complete train wreck.

And the concept as a whole is now basically 40k with barely half a fake moustache on for a disguise.

I read the rules (doesn't take long). They're weird but what is even weirder is that there's not clear hint out there yet what's the balancing mechanism for the whole game. I agree it's some minimalistic version of 40K; the codpiece's definitely gone!

I also had a look at the fluff, which I found awful and don't get me started on the writing ...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3176 on: July 02, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »
Yup, read em.  Not impressed.   It seems they really are looking for a younger less attentive audience, and to try and scoop up some of the Warmachine crowd.  

To my mind, sure GW can often make some nice models, but just as often they are plain awful.  The ONLY thing that they consistently had in their favor was the rich IP.  They just jettisoned that.  So what's left?  Halfbaked rules and overpriced, some-of-the-time-nice models.  

One foot is now firmly planted in the grave.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:58:03 AM by Too Bo Coo »
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3177 on: July 02, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »
Yup, read em.  Not impressed.   It seems they really are looking for a younger less attentive audience, and to try and scoop up some of the Warmachine crowd.  

To my mind, sure GW can often make some nice models, but just as often they are plain awful.  The ONLY thing that they consistently had in their favor was the rich IP.  They just jettisoned that.  So what's left?  Halfbaked rules and overpriced, some-of-the-time-nice models.  

One foot is now firmly planted in the grave.

Oh crap, hit the wrong button.  Admin, can you delete this one?

Offline -DE-

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3178 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »

What sane Warmachine player would abandon his game for Age of Sigmar?

It's got nothing to do with Warmachine, or any other currently popular skirmish game for that matter, other than round bases. Which are considered to not exist by the rules!  :o

At its core, AoS is a very simplified version of 8th, with glaring holes you could run a land raider through, and with no army building rules or points system in place. Simply take what you will and fill out your half of the table with any miniatures in your collection.

I don't see how it is aimed at anybody other than GW bean counters.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3179 on: July 02, 2015, 01:14:18 PM »
You just inspired me to look at GW's website for the first time in ages. It upset me.

When I was a kid I liked the Citadel mins because they looked like they were made by grown-ups. Now they look like a kid's scribbles on a piece of doodle paper. Like when you used to make up crazy monsters with guns for arms and tentacles everywhere. It's puerile.

Ah well, all things come to an end I guess.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter