Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734158 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3480 on: July 20, 2015, 01:56:23 AM »
I'll save me pennies for Total War. Always wanted shadows of the horned rat though.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #3481 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
I'll save me pennies for Total War. Always wanted shadows of the horned rat though.

I really wish they'd release Dark Omen...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3482 on: July 24, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
Ok, so I have my 10 Stormcast Liberators built and have started to paint them.

One of things that went through my mind as I was applying a base coat of gold is that I think folks who think these minis were made for 12 years old's are probably off by at least a generation and maybe two.

At 40mm the miniatures, though quite intricate and filled with details, actually appear to be fairly easy to paint, even for a guy like me who needs an opti-visor to paint at all. So they are quite easy on the eyes yet challenging. We'll see how they come out, but for the moment I'm having fun with them.

As for the price point, I don't think these miniatures are aimed at 12 years old's or even their parents. I would say that most likely they are aimed at the 40K fans (who already appear to be accustomed to GW prices) and older gamers with disposable income... like me.

When you visit other forums like Dakka Dakka, you realize that there are a lot of folks out there that spend princely sums on GW products.

Take a look at this guys wonderful painting (due open the spoilers, they are definitely worth it) and try to imagine just how much money he has poured into the GW coffers:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/594683.page

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3483 on: July 24, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
Take a look at this guys wonderful painting (due open the spoilers, they are definitely worth it) and try to imagine just how much money he has poured into the GW coffers:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/594683.page
Ahh yes, I know this painter's work well. I always love the themes and striking effects he manages, and the speed of his output is truly phenomenal!

Whilst he does make a lot of very big armies for personal projects and tournaments, most of his work is as a commission painter. He has a website here with all his projects on it - I prefer this to navigating the dakka forum!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3484 on: July 24, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Latest fluff from white dwarf.human war tribes still fight for sigmar,from the writing I imagine very cultisty , remnants of the world that was.slaansh still lives and his/her armies are still fighting , reaching new depths of depravity to try and reach the levels of excess that will bring him/her back to them. Fr from being squated, hes now the absent prince. The great horned rat is sat on the throne of a chaos god and blightcity, his realm, is stuck to the realm of chaos like a leech, gnawing into the other realms.

Theres also a great pic of the war altar of sigmar and cultists on round bases fighting with eternals.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3485 on: July 26, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »
Anybody noticed the circular hole in the trinket? Any guesses as to which purpose it is there (other than save material)?

It's a tunnel vision simulator. It allows you to look at box art through it, but obscures the price tag.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3486 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
It's a tunnel vision simulator. It allows you to look at box art through it, but obscures the price tag.
lol lol lol lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3487 on: July 26, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »
lol lol lol lol

What he lol-ed.  lol Additionally, saving on material was probably necessary to finance all the HEWING(TM) involved.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3488 on: July 26, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
Wow. Bows and big arrows and crossbowstormbolters and skybolters, and heavy crossbowstormbolters... Bolts, bolters, that sounds familiar..

Sky bolts and lightning bolts

They are big. Lots of should pads, heads etc to..

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Skybolt-Hailstorm

Or

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Stormcast-Eternals-Judicators

skybolt bows, or the rapid -fire boltstorm crossbow

Bolters....oh.

Wonder if theres a SkyRaider or StormRhino transport or something similar coming out soon?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3489 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »
To be fair to them, if the called the crossbows storm arrows crossbows, people would compassion that crossbows fire bolts. ::)
I really like the crossbow guys actually, they look chunky, unwieldy and dangerous. They look like they got sick of hammers and just picked up some siege balistas and went to town.
The bows look silly tho, they're too flimsy, and I think some full chainmail stormcast rangers would have been cooler.

The big monster crossbow looks like a water balloon shooter.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3490 on: July 26, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »
The big monster crossbow looks like a water balloon shooter.
Well, the setting did get nerfed...  lol

I wonder how long before they accidentally call these warriors "Adeptus Sigmares" in one of their stories?
I don't like them for a fantasy setting, not at all, but keep thinking they would make great iron golems, or be a basis for steam-powered armour or 40K Age of Strife Thunder Warriors and/or techno-barbarians.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3491 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
Well, the setting did get nerfed...  lol

I wonder how long before they accidentally call these warriors "Adeptus Sigmares" in one of their stories?
I don't like them for a fantasy setting, not at all, but keep thinking they would make great iron golems, or be a basis for steam-powered armour or 40K Age of Strife Thunder Warriors and/or techno-barbarians.
Someone online done comparison with them and thunder warriors very similar  lol
I quite like the ones I seen painted black,
I reckon they would make good vsf automaton knights.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3492 on: July 26, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
[..] 40K Age of Strife Thunder Warriors and/or techno-barbarians.

Bingo.

That said, I still really dislike the Sigmarines - and each release I see feels sillier than the one before; for example, the water-balloon shooter. Urgh.  :-X

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3493 on: July 26, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »
Some of them are painted blue....

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3494 on: July 26, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »
Strictly it's not blue it's turquoise... clearly they don't want folk to compare them with 40K, despite the obvious 'Aquamarines' pun I'm now making.  ;)

In some respects I sort of see where I think this is going... a sort of Pre-40K, which I don't think is a bad concept when all things are considered. It's like each game represents both ends of the same spectrum. I just can't say I like the execution too much.