Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690734
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Dropzone Commander starter set  (Read 6757 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
New Dropzone Commander starter set
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
Hawk Wargames is pleased to announce the brand new Dropzone Commander 2 Player Starter Set! It is designed to be one of the most complete wargaming starter sets ever released. Containing two sizable starter forces, the full sized 1.1 DZC Core Rulebook, plenty of accessories as well as a starter battlefield with a set of card scenery, the only other things a new player will need are glue and paints! This boxed set makes a fantastic entry point into the Dropzone Commander universe as well as a great way for existing players to add to the core of their forces.

All the 10mm scale miniatures in this box set are injection moulded in plastic. These crisply moulded models feature extremely fine detail, matching our resin kits in quality. Be sure to check out the photo gallery (by clicking on the product image) for a visual tour of this amazing box set!

This product is now available for PRE-ORDER: All products currently on pre-order will start shipping for delivery coinciding with the in-store release date of September 28th 2013. Orders containing pre-ordered products will be held until this ship date. If you'd like to order regular and pre-ordered products and would like the regular products to be shipped ahead of the pre-ordered ones, please place two separate orders.

Contents:

United Colonies of Mankind Starter Force:
- 3x Sabre Main Battle Tanks
- 3x Rapier AA Tanks
- 2x Bear APC’s (+1 bonus spare!)
- 30x Colonial Legionnaires (on 6 bases)
- 3x Condor Medium Dropships (now with clear canopy!)

The Scourge Starter Force:
- 3x Hunter Main Grav-Tanks
- 3x Reaper AA Grav-Tanks
- 2x Invader APC’s (+1 bonus spare!)
- 30x Scourge Warriors (on 6 bases)
- 3x Marauder Medium Dropships

Starter Urban Battlefield:
- 2x Urban Streets Posters, will join together in 4 different ways to create a 48”x33” road layout
- Both posters feature stunning artwork on the reverse face!
- 10 x Pre-cut, pre-folded card buildings in 10 different designs

Rules and Accessories:

- Full sized Dropzone Commander 1.1 Core Rulebook
- UCM and Scourge reference sheets with stats, army composition and quick reference tables
- Starter scenario and turn sequence prompt sheet
- 10x 14mm D6 black dice
- 1m/38” Hawk Wargames tape measure keyring
- Full set of card templates and Scenario Object tokens

Box Size: Width: 29cm (approx. 11.5") x Length: 43cm (approx. 17") x Height 6.5cm (approx. 2.5")

Box Weight: 2kg (4.4lbs)

£60.00

Link:
http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/2-player-starter-set

Fantastic starter set for a good price IMO. Very tempting...
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: New Dropzone Commander starter set
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
Great looking box, a good deal.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
60£  :o :o Me and my Mate paid around 250£ for pretty much the same Content  :?  :'( That said,the Forces in this Startersets are very basic,they won't make a great Game,better get 2 Boxes if you can  8)

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
After not really giving it a second glance when it came out, I've been thinking about Dropzone Commander lately.  I like the idea of a small scale game that can really fill up a city scape.  What is the general feel of it here?  One complaint I've read is that the Dropships actually don't play as nearly a big a role as they could.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
I do like the look of the new resistance faction. I don;t think I'll like the price tho.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
Very tempted by this, have to say - although I'm not crazy on the design of the United Colonies of Mankind's tanks.

I have a lot of old GW Epic ones (Armageddon issue, so much nicer than their first ones), which are also 10mm, so should be usable. Does anyone know if GZG 1:300 stuff scales well with this, or are they too small?

Thanks

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »
Never been interested in the game.  I did buy the boxed city for $40 which seems like a decent deal...though I'll be selling it (no longer doing the 1/200 scale stuff).  I think the models are severely "meh" for this game, something which will keep me at bay.  I don't really care for any of the factions or any of the models.  The scourge look downright...awful.  Good luck to them though, and I think this is the right way to go about getting new customers.  A quality box set is always a good step, and they even include a tape measure!  Nice stuff.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
I'm envious -- I'd love to know how other small companies are affording injection moulds when they cost so much money to have made....
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »
I think a lot of it is handled by a handful of companies.  For instance, Renedra Plastics does a bunch of stuff for numerous companies (from what I can tell).  So maybe it's easier to do it through another company?  Or good contacts in China. 

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 07:54:58 AM »
It's still expensive though.  I think it's mostly done in the UK.  I had read a while back that Wargames Factory was looking for contract work on injection mould making so I wrote an e-mail inquiring about the process but never heard back from them....

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »
If more was done it plastic it might be viable, however too much of the stuff is far too expensive, lovely models, but too high a price, what they should of done with this is do all the factions in plastic starter boxes, put your templates, dice and starter rules in, and charged £30 a box

I would happily investigate this game with a £30 starting price, but not £60 and be lumbered with a force (scourge) I don't like and might not be able to sell.

Failure unfortunately

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Before this game came out I was really keen to get stuck in; the models looked beautiful and the game itself sounded quite unique. I like small scale stuff for sci-fi anyway due to it making the battlefield larger and weapon ranges more realistic. Then it hit and the prices were just obscene, even for such beautiful minis. Something like £11 for two walkers the size of 2p coins. Could not justify it to myself, especially with them being made out of resin, which always feels cheap to me (even though obviously it isn't and it's beautifully detailed). Then I noticed the infantry were really expensive despite being metal 10mm figures. Detailed but not THAT much a cut above other 10mm manufacturers whose prices were a lot better. I am tempted by this starter set, as I have been constantly tempted to get into the game anyway in spite of the price, but I shall wait and see.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
I wouldn't call the starter set a failure unless they follow the GW business model, and don't make anything else as "affordable".  No point in saving a few bucks here if everything else becomes a finecast debacle.  Now if they back this up with a full line of models (most of them at least) in reasonable similar plastic, I'd say they'd be good to go.

Aren't these the same guys with the $1,000+ resin building set in resin? :D

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
I would happily investigate this game with a £30 starting price, but not £60 and be lumbered with a force (scourge) I don't like and might not be able to sell.

Failure unfortunately

Not a failure by any means, but I also dislike the Scourge being in the box. I'm sure lots of people like them but in my area, of the people who've shown an interest, no one likes the Scourge. There are some nice pieces but most are poor (in our opinion).
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
Tempted by the box set to try this game out, like others was put off by the price before. Who else does 10/12mm sci-fi to use with it? scenery etc is easy enough with N gauge railway stuff so very tempted to replace the card buildings with a selection of non card models.