Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690738
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Age of Eagles AAR with pics  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
Age of Eagles AAR with pics
« on: January 31, 2022, 07:34:15 PM »
Recently played a rousing game of Age of Eagles. Here's a link to some of the action

http://huzzahespee.blogspot.com/

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
Re: Age of Eagles AAR with pics
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 03:14:05 PM »
Wow, not even a single thumbs up.

In lieu of that. tell me why my blog post garnered no interest. How can I make it better? What do people want to see?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 04:19:49 PM »
Hi Steve, there is nothing wrong with your post, I enjoyed it.

You share the problem of all bloggers, that the internet is increasingly treated as a ‘for free’ resource, to the point that even the simple nods of appreciation don’t happen so much anymore. There is a lot to consume on the internet and we have defaulted to …. read and move on!

it is hard to put a value on blogger’s work, but I bought a wargame magazine today costing me £5.50 yet in a single evening, I can browse more content than the magazine holds that is relevant to me, on the internet.

There is of course a balance. I reply to every comment on the blog, but I get around 12 to 14,000 visitors a month, so if they all commented, I would be overwhelmed with task, but at the other end of the scale, I find that despite so many visitors, it is the same few well meaning folk who are throwing a comment in.

Blogs can be highly inspirational and perhaps we just need to learn to value them more before content providers start to give up, rather like wargame magazines themselves - use them or lose them.

i really liked your table, so I hope you crack on with your output.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 05:28:59 PM »
In lieu of that. tell me why my blog post garnered no interest.

I can't speak for anyone else but I never click blog links in forum posts when the poster has not bothered to at least show a few images.
Fora exist to promote discussion and share work or ideas or ask for help, blind links to 3rd party blogs not only fail to achieve any of that, they actively discourage it.

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 06:41:10 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but I never click blog links in forum posts when the poster has not bothered to at least show a few images.
Fora exist to promote discussion and share work or ideas or ask for help, blind links to 3rd party blogs not only fail to achieve any of that, they actively discourage it.

Agree,post some pictures up and absorb me in your world. Then i might be more inclined to follow the link.

I am easily absorbed lol

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:16:42 PM »
I looked at the link.  Well done.  Good battle with lovely figs and terrain.  Haven't played Age of Eagles in a long time, but I enjoyed them.

And I agree - a teaser pic or 2 might just draw mow folks to the link...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 12:29:54 AM »
Great looking game.

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 08:47:11 AM »
Great looking game. Not an AOE fan (prefer battalions) but I do play in club games when someone is hosting one. I have posted photos here and other forums with little to no response too.  I think there is so much on the internet that everyone is jaded. I pay more attention to the number of views.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:51:41 AM by Old Contemptable »

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 03:09:13 PM »
Great looking game! I agree a single pic would have led to more comments. I'm a bit eclectic, so I scan through a lot of topics and I don't always read every post. Something needs to catch my eye.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 04:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the input men, but I resent the 'not bothered to at least show a few images' remark. Anyone can see how few posts I have made here, that is why I asked: not to fish for compliments but to get some ideas as to why there was so little response. The whole reason I blog is to share my games with the gaming community, which in and of itself, takes some time and effort. I could have just as easily been pointed in the right direction without being accused of sloth. laziness and overall not really giving a shit. Sorry to go all TMP on you but I don't need this kind of crap from my hobby. The reason I have been gaming for over 50 years is to escape just that. Thanks to the rest of you for being more gentle and less judgmental in your encouragement.

Steve

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:38:36 PM by Dukewilliam »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 05:07:39 PM »
The replies are pretty much suggesting you be guided by the advice in the forum rules. Links without pics are an age-old irritant to many on the forum. It’s not mandatory to include pics but many consider it courteous to do so. LAF has been like that for, like forever.

See rule 2.13 at this link.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122307.0

If you’re new it’s probably a good idea to check the rules out to familiarise with how this place works.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:11:40 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Waffles_vs_Tacos

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 11:43:10 PM »
I enjoyed your post. I dont know how to thumbs up a post here, but I look at a lot of blogs and such, I usually just don't usually comment on threads if I don't have much to add.

It was a lovely looking game though!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 12:10:12 AM »
I tend to load my "see my figs" posts or battle reports with pics.  Sometimes I get several responses, sometimes none.  And so it goes. 

BUT, hoping that karma catches up to me, I ten to comment on lots of other folks "see my minis" posts and battle reports.  Having said (typed?..) that, I'm sure I miss commenting on many worthwhile posts.... 

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 02:16:55 PM »
Thanks again. As I said, I want trying to fish for compliments, I asked a serious question and was answered with the ‘rules’ of the forum. All but one of the responses were gracious and helpful. And perhaps the one that wasn’t wasn’t meant to be and just a poor choice of words. Regardless, I have learned how to post according to forum rules. All is good.

Steve

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 08:51:57 AM »
I, too, don't know how to post a thumbs up on this forum.

A few further thoughts for you, since you asked:
1. You posted on a Monday and were disappointed by the lack of response by Thursday. I imagine many members of this forum work full time, and many of those Monday to Friday. So some won't have even seen your post in that time.
2. You didn't mention your period in your post title. I imagined Napoleonic from 'Age of Eagles', but I don't know the rules and the 'Age of the Big Battalions' encompasses several centuries.
3. You didn't mention your scale in your title or post. Again, I suspect putting 15mm, 28mm or 6mm in a post title attracts people who also game in that scale.
4. 'Age of the Big Battalions' is a big board. It's easy to miss a good post.
I love Napoleonic game reports, so I would probably have clicked through and read it regardless, but putting the period and scale in your title and pictures in your post would make it even more obvious.  :)

Please don't resent the 'not bothered to at least show a few images' comment. I am sure it was a well-intentioned comment in reply to your question about why some people don't click through on posts without images. We don't all express ourselves brilliantly, and writing is much more easily misinterpreted than speech.

I think there are many people here who like this forum partly because it isn't TMP and because, like you, they find our hobby a wonderful escape from the flame wars and aggravation in some parts of social media.  :)

I should comment on more posts, and post more myself. I am trying to do that.

Thank you for sharing a glorious battle report. You have beautiful figures on good-looking terrain. Are they AB 15mm/18mm?

Thank you for posting and for starting a good debate about how we can improve both posts and responses!  :)

Lucky you to have three brothers.  :)