Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help please......looking for game table pictures  (Read 5923 times)

Offline sykoholic

• Bookworm
  • Part Evil Genius, Part Village Idiot
Re: Help please......looking for game table pictures
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
There's also the "Tokyo Techno" board from GF9

http://live.fowgf9.4thmedia.co.nz/Default.aspx?tabid=288&art_id=1971
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
<snip> If I lived in the US I would tour churches selling dog doors with the guilt trip that if there is a rapture and you dont have one then there is a good chance you will be sent back to let the dog out.  lol

My concern would having little kids/skinny kids ("volunteers" I am sure) go through the dog doors and unlock the house, though the gutter snipes I have known are deathly afraid of dogs (took the local gangs three attempts at poisoning our miniature Dachshund (insert selected invective here) before we had to put her down in the late 1950s.  And we were the only house not robbed on the block that summer.) 

Detroit, wow, the pain of seeing what is happening there (self-inflicted or not) is painful.  Hopefully (though I doubt it) the "packs of feral dogs" thing is media hype.  If you were looking for depressing terrain for a setting I suspect Detroit would be in the top 10.

Scurv,

All dogs go to heaven...  said the guy who now has a dog after decades of none.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
I am after something like modern Detroit ghettos (of which I have a bunch of google images)
Detroit's buildings, as you enter the city from the south, are all abandoned, dilapidated, and left for dead. It looks WAY more Mad Max than even Mad Max did. It's really kind of scary in a "nationalistic" sense.

https://www.google.com/search?q=detroit+abandoned+buildings

Click Images and you'll have what you want, I believe. I had a lot of photos since I travelled there often and took them for a board game I was developing, but honestly, there's so many that you can look at to give you both pause and inspiration that this shouldn't be a challenge.

Here's a great photo essay:
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/The-abandoned-buildings-of-Detroit-4674912.php#photo-4931752

Detroit slums are just houses with no windows, or windows boarded up. Bars over the windows. It's not "industrial", as much as poor, abandoned neighborhoods.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
without straying into politics what the heck happened to detroit!

Without straying into politics.......... lol

In short: Ultra capitalism and an unregulated addiction to greed driven free market economics. Predatory banking and weak (or worse) politicians.

It has been fairly depressing looking through the web for slum and ghetto images as inspiration for my Spinespur table as invariably they are attached to articles about the human cost of all this.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I read an interesting article about Detroit on the newspaper and how they arrived at current situation, but it will be clearly gointo politics.

From a hobby point of view, the google images more than Mad Max make me think on Carpenter's Escape from New York.
Another interesting fact is/was it is massively huge than most of the US cities

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Wouldn't worry too much about abandoned train stations. The small things that often get overlooked are more worrying- I could imagine malfunctioning/ not working fire hydrants in mostly abandoned areas might cause quite a bit of trouble later. Not just fires burning down decaying buildings, but spreading further into other still inhabited areas parts of the city, putting residents in danger.
sanity is for cowards

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
The money dried up. Japan's cars were made cheaper and better, so they got a foothold. Detroit (really most of the midwest) relies heavily on the military and automobile industry, so everyone went bankrupt (and Detroit JUST filed the largest bankruptcy in US history) including the auto manufacturers, who employ a lot of these people. Downsizing came, and VOILA! you have Fallout, but sans nukes and vaults.

workerBee

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
without straying into politics what the heck happened to detroit!

The why has "everything to do with politics" despite what some like to say/write.

Anything further requires a PM or even better completely separate communication.

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
Some more questions about detroit. Who owns all the houses and buildings? Have they already been stripped and salvaged? Brass Lead copper and ally. License to print money especially with the prices these days.

Funny you should ask that, there was an article in what passes as a newspaper herein Saint Louis that pointed out there are many lots owned by a corporation that are basically seriously abandoned and no one seems clear who owns the corporation...

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/mysterious-firm-bought-more-than-city-properties-then-did-nothing/article_32df225a-306d-5584-84ab-0c8313226614.html

Many in Detroit may just be abandoned.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
My concern is that there is two users signing of with:

Gracias,

Glenn

>:(

There can only be one!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
Some more questions about detroit. Who owns all the houses and buildings?

A lot of them (maybe the majority?) are bank repossessions following sub prime lending scams which is a major factor in the cities $$$ shortfall. Thanks to clever litigation/contracting the banks decline liability for any land rates, property taxes, utility charges etc on properties they foreclose so everyone else suffers. The tax default runs into millions.