Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts from Partizan  (Read 1161 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Thoughts from Partizan
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
Strange day in all.  Very mixed feelings about going again but worth the trip due to one game I did not expect  :o

Got there on time to find they have moved the entrance to the side.  Cue one crush at Tumbling Dice miniatures and the first few stands.  Interestingly later on the morning the normal front door was open to use.

Breakfast absolutely naff - bacon butty sat in a plastic bag going cold and as for the muck they called coffee - not worth it.  Butty was better than before but no idea how long it had been sat on the side.  Staff as helpful as ever int he kitchen i.e. wait till they can be bothered to answer you.  Chef more interested in doing lunch but at least you could sit down - shame no rubbish bins to put you cups / tins and butty bags away and why have an open bar with no staff?  Anyone in Nottinghamshire heard of napkins?  Semi greasy bacon and hands do not go together.

Who ever decided benches in the main corridor was OK obviously failed their H&S training...

Despite the reduced area the 38 stands seemed spread around and quiet - will be interesting to see how trade went.  I came away with some money for one (very rare for me) having found at least some traders expected to be there not present and some heavily advertised rules / figures not worth it when held in the hand.  I was going to spend £12 on a set of rules till I was told they are £8 on Amazon.  If the difference was £1/2 I would support the company concerned but 1/3 difference is too much to swallow.  It is interesting to see the diverse range of periods present (though very little fantasy / sic-fi in the games as normal) on the traders stands but I do begin to see trends to stocking the same items with little innovation or price difference (price fixing anyone?).  I think Kickstarter style processes seem to drive innovation while other companies follow trends or fall back to classic ranges that have been solid sellers for years.

Interesting to see the dominance of laser cut buildings - both pre-painted and plain over traditional resin ones.  Interesting to compare the costs of these to stalwarts such as PMC - is it worth saving £1 or so for small building to hand assemble?

Demo games looked good but the usual - "I'm playing with my mates" rather than talk to the punters ruled.  Though a big thanks to Mike Salwey and Aly Morrison for taking time to talk to me - both made the show worthwhile.

Nice to see the show supported Goblinaid - I only saw one stand with a note about this though.

All in all the best bits where:
1) No crush by the bar so it was easy to get from the main hall to the side rooms
2) Ease of moving around most of the halls (except the entrance)
3) The demo game from Aly Morrison
4) The odd few deals (e.g. Bog-a-ten for £5)

Worth the £4 entry - even without the figure I would say a qualified yes.  Not the worse show I have been to but come on folks - talk to visitors with youngsters and get them interested as they are the future - not old folk like me (even if I do have disposable cash).

Andrew

Offline Grigork

• Librarian
  • Grigork
    • The Megalomaniac (Mahaha)
Re: Thoughts from Partizan
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
I found the show much the same as yourself. Although the Nottingham Wargames Club at the WW1 table were chatty as were the SEEMS guys with their War of Spanish Succession game. The Bunker were normally chatty but were busy taking one of the Perrys through all the terrain of their Raid on Entebe game which was a good eaves drop.

Offline thebunkergames

• Mad Scientist
  • -puts the game back into wargaming-
    • The Bunker Games
Re: Thoughts from Partizan
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
Anything you wish to know about the Entebbe game just fire away Grigork!
Regards
Shaun in The Bunker
I spent alot of money on strong drink & toy soldiers - the rest I just wasted...