Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Metro 2033/Stalker  (Read 3349 times)

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
Metro 2033/Stalker
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:36 AM »
What are you guys using as rules/minis for this? Lead Adventure post apoc leaps out....

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Metro 2033/Stalker
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »
its too hard to play that game. I cant go anywhere without being eaten.  lol

I'm guessing you're referring to Metro ? I find that rather hectic myself.
The Stalker series on the other hand are very well playable. Finished all 3 of 'em
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
I really enjoyed Metro 2033. I haven't tried the new one yet though. I thought at the time it would make a great wargame setting.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
I really enjoyed the novel and have played both of the xBox renditions (I agree with everyone else in that the first one was quite nasty).

For figures, I'm collecting the aforementioned Lead Adventure range and augmenting it with Copplestone Castings' Future Wars neo-sovs, partisans and scavengers (as you can see in a recent post of mine). I'm also adding Pig Iron's Kolony stuff (their Ferals, Militia and Rebels). In the end I'd like each faction to have a distinctive 'look' about them.

For rules, I'm thinking of modifying 'Skirmish Sangin' (for detail) or 'Space Hulk' (for easy mayhem). But these are just concepts right now. I've heard good things about Two Hour Wargames' 'After the Horsemen' but I've not actually read the rules yet...

I hope this helps somewhat!

Curt

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
Enjoyed all 3 STALKER games much more than Metro.

For mini-rules, I understood Ganesha (Song of...) was working on a dedicated set. Otherwise 5150/After the Horsemen is pretty neat if you can wrap your head around the Rx System. Otherwise, I use simple home-brew rules fast pick-up games in a STALKER/PA setting. 

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »
TWO WORDS: WRECK-AGE. It's incredible for PA games and the theme ports well to M2033.  Or Fallout.

For a great set of campaign rules, use Wasteland 3: Total Meltdown. Not a fan of the "game rules" as much as the campaign rules. They're brilliant.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
Myself, I'm a big Stalker fan; I have played all 3 games multiple times, and when I ever get to do a post-apoc project, it will certainly be based on the Stalker series. 8)

As for minis, it looks like the Lead Adventures minis were sculpted with exactly that in mind. Add a bit of Pardulon scenery and maybe some moderns like Russians and (basically any army's) troops in NBC gear as Monolith troops and you're pretty much set.

And although some of the LA minis are a bit too weird / out there to fully match with the Stalker setting IMHO, the more normal / mainstream ones are just perfect...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »
Oh, forgot about minis.

I use Reaper's Nova Corp guys for "Brotherhood of Steel" type models. I use Mega Miniatures models for scavengers and raiders as well as LAF and others. My robots are ALL Mega Miniatures, although that's because I'm too cheap to buy Brother Vinni's stuff.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
TWO WORDS: WRECK-AGE. It's incredible for PA games and the theme ports well to M2033.  Or Fallout.
Superfly, you are constantly mining the gold it seems... Wreck-Age looks to have some solid elegance to it.

I'll admit to being drawn to the scalable opposition type of mechanic that Strange Aeons offers; allowing your evolving stalker to gather some followers and encounter different factions or random groups of nasties while trying to survive in the Zone.

But, how to handle 'Anomalies'?
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
I report for a website. Granted, it's my website, but a website nonetheless. :)

Check out the GenCon report:
http://www.superflycircus.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-gencon-2013-special-edition.html

So far, 30 hours in and 1300 downloads.

Back to "Anomalies": I think Wasteland 3 is the perfect fit for this type of genre because it has all the rules for critters and abominations, as well as killer campaign play that allows you to build city-states of a sort within the ongoing campaign setting.

If you're into that sort of thing, that is.