Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:22:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet another fallout project  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
Yet another fallout project
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
Hello everyone!

Im creating the thread with the goal of giving myself some motivation to continue with my fallout 3 project. I am trying to build a couple small warbands for use with RAFMs USX Modern Day Heros rule set.

Heres a small teaser picture

I would like some advice on basing him, what colours are popular? I predominantly use Reaper and Citadel paints. Im planning to use the larger bases to allow me to do some scenic basing.

C&C?

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
Re: Yet another fallout project
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
I'd go for a deep brown base, overbrushed with something like whatever is now GW's "Bestial brown".
Perhaps drybrush a dusty grey over patches of it afterwards.
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
For a wasteland look I use tile adhesive + some rocks or rubble, basecoated  with Valejo German Camouflage Black Brown, liberaly drybrushed with US earth and afterwards with Iraqi sand.
Sometimes I even highlight with a little offwhite.

To finish it I glue one or more clumps of static grass (the dried out variety) and/or some Silflor tufts.
You could, ofcourse, add some scenic elements like weapons, body parts, skeletons (like Lead Adventures Miniatures' Dead Stalkers) and whatnot.

For the destroyed urban look I use Fenris' Incursion bases. basecoated 'em black, then drybrushed to light grey (and when necessary I pick out the details like, spent ammo cases or a drain cover)

For pics check out my photobucket 28mm/PA album (link in my sig)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

@ Zizi666- Thanks for the colour suggestions, ill try that out on my supermutant tonight as ive got 2 of the 3 colours.

Im afraid updates may be a little sparse for the next couple of weeks, my local hobby store is closed for the next two weeks so i wont be able to order any new models :(. Im planning to order a bunch of stuff from USX and reaper to add some variety to my converted models.

In the mean time im hoping to get some terrain done. Ive already got some 'Desert' terrain which i use for Flames of War but id like to add some more Fallout ish terrain. One thing im stumped on is Cars, can anyone offer any suggestions. I know of the Marx cars but im having trouble sourcing them. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
I have also had decent luck converting the $5 1/35th scale cars that you could find easily in most grocery stores for a few years - I'll try and get some photos up.  I just noticed that I never took any pictures of them when I made them, as it was as add-ons just before the convention game I was running.  Can't have that, now can we?

And as of now, they are in my thread.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:38:12 AM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

Figured i better get another small update up before the weekend. Ive started my Raider warband and I was hoping to get some feedback on my first 3 models. I quickly snapped these pictures on my lunch break at work so pardon the quality.

My first three raiders, as you can tell they are still a work in progress! Ive tried to stick with the proper raider armour. The Raider on the left has blastmaster armour, he has since received a right arm holding a baseball bat and a left pointing arm. The middle raider has Sadist armour and he is armed with a 10mm pistol and a tire iron. The raider on the right is equipped with a hunting rifle (im hoping it will be a slightly more convincing conversion once i paint him). All of these models should be fully built by Monday.

Backside- Note: the middle raider with the Sadist armour has a severed head hanging from his belt. I chose to base this off the concept art. Plus i didn't have any severed hands...

C&C?

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »
Great raiders! I am guessing you will beef up the tire iron with some greenstuff?

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
Nice work so far.

Backside- Note: the middle raider with the Sadist armour has a severed head hanging from his belt. I chose to base this off the concept art. Plus i didn't have any severed hands...

You can get some from a GW bits seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-BIN-BITS-VAMPIRE-COUNTS-ZOMBIES-BANNERS-GUTS-AND-TOMBSTONES-/330967495278?pt=Games_US&hash=item4d0f33326e

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:57:43 AM »
Well sadly i do not have much to update as of yet, I ended up spending the weekend at my cottage which resulted in lots of reno work and minimal hobby work. I how ever manged to get the torso and legs of another Raider built, i just need to do some greenstuff work on him (This chap will have Wasteland armour). I also got a head for my blastmaster raider (Needs some GS work to make it look like a hockey mask) and i converted 3 improvised close combat arms (Two lead pipe arms and one with a Police Baton). This should give me enough arms to build my 'Green' raiders (ive since switched rulesets, USX seemed far too constrictive for my likings.) Ill be converting another 'experenced' raider with a 10mm pistol and a combat knife to go with my other pistol raider.

The list im looking at currently includes....

Green Raider- Baseball bat
Green Raider- Lead Pipe
Green Raider- Lead Pipe
Green Raider- Police Baton
Experenced Raider- Hunting Rifle
Experenced Raider- 10mm Pistol, Tire Iron
Experenced Raider- 10mm Pistol, Knife
Vetern Raider- Chinese Assault Rifle (Normally this weapon isnt available to Raiders in the ruleset im using but im dieing to paint up this 'Kook the raider' model from RAFMs USX range

When i get home ill look through the amy list and see what this leaves me cap wise. I may add another ganger with a heavy weapon or some Ggrenades throughout the list.

@ Anpu- I actually wasn't planning to do anything to it. it looks a little larger in real life plus i was worried about ruining the effect.

@Rwwin- Thanks for the kind words! Some how i missed those bits last time i looked through that ebay store. Ill order a couple of packs when i get home! I need some more Catachan legs for my super mutant coversions anyway. Cheers!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:00:53 AM by Dobbie71064 »

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
Looking good so far!