Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Glazes  (Read 2295 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Glazes
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:10:32 PM »
I've been making several super-muscled barbarian types and have run into a problem with the crevices being too dark (just base coat + flesh wash, but still too dark).

So, I am trying to lighted up that washed area with a glaze made of glaze medium from the local art store (not GW's or Vallejo's, which may be the source of the problem).

Anyway, the final glaze I get has about the right pigment color but there is a strange booger-colored (I think in the UK that's "bogey" not "booger") tinge that I think is dried glaze medium.  A very light dusting with the base or highlight color almost completely removes this strange color, so maybe it's just high-gloss playing tricks with my eyes.

In any case, does anyone have some good ideas for creating a 1/2 base color and 1/2 glaze layer for fixing these kinds of problems?

(Obviously, doing it right in the first place is the best idea, but I have some minis to repair, first).

Thanks!

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Glazes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
It is expensive but Games Workshop's Lahmian Medium is actually worth it in my opinion for applications such as this; no yellowing.

You can mix it with whatever paints needed, as well as water and a spot of dishwashing liquid to get a glaze as thin as you need.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:14:26 AM »
Has anybody ever used lecithin in their paint?  We used to use it in animation cel vinyl which is basically the same as minis paint.  It was an emulsifier and wetting agent and helps in maintaining uniform mixture of pigments.  I just remembered that as it's been a zillion years since we've painted cels by hand...
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:36:16 AM »
Why not use a quality matte medium?

That plus a little water and maybe some wetting agent to adjust surface tension if you aren't getting the results needed.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

former user

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:17 AM »
I am curious about the solution myself as I can not imagine by any means how to get too dark shades lighter by glazing...
maybe if You whitewash them and tint over with a light flesh wash?

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:58 AM »
I did a "whitewash" recently for a similar problem.  Just thinned down some white paint with water and Future floor polish and spot washed the problem areas.  I was trying to do a cream colored uniform and my brown wash was too heavy.  The white wash looked pretty neat.  I filed it under interesting technique to possibly use in the future for a NON-repair job:)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:41 AM »
I use a Vallejo Glaze Medium, which does the job.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
Why not use a quality matte medium?

Mm. I've had few problems with Daler-Rowney's glaze medium.

Also, Erik, it's not clear in your post: is your mix just paint and glaze medium, or are you using the glaze medium as an additive to normally watered-down paint?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:06:40 AM by Vermis »

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
A squirt of glaze medium, some paint, some water, mixed together on a pallet.

I think I'm using too much glaze medium.

I found some of that GW stuff in my paintbox.  I forgot I had purchased some.  I'll try using that, instead. 

If I don't get that snot-colored gel layer when using the same ratios, then I will have my answer.

Thanks heaps, everyone, for your ideas!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
I mostly use Vallejo washes, but one thing I've discovered with them, is that when I try to thin them with water (because they're too dark for the purpose at hand), they tend to dry up whitish. Going over them with another layer solves the problem though.

The washes themselves are prefectly fine when used on their own or with some Vallejo Thinner/Dilutant (that's what is says on the bottle anyway, it's just another medium I suppose), the results are fine.

So it might be the water you put into your mix. Try the same mix, but with the water substituted with more medium. I reckon the problem will be gone...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!