Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cult of the Black Goat shirt (needs more tentacles)  (Read 6853 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Cult of the Black Goat shirt (needs more tentacles)
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »
Well, I've gone through the SA rule book, Morbid Adventures and issues 1 & 3 of SToMaM (still on the lookout for a copy of issue 2) and have to say I'm thoroughly impressed, started to toy with lists and such and to plan out my next few purchases and looking forward to taking the rules once around the block so to speak.

In the meantime, I planned to order a SA logo shirt from Cafe Press and join the Cult of the Black Goat. But as much as I plan to join anyway, I really can't get behind the shirt design. (Now, I have a degree in Graphic Design and have designed shirts that have been produced, so I'm not talkin' out of my but here.) As the design itself goes, it's a nice piece of work, but with the goats head, pentagram, and heavy metal font for "Black Goat" it just screams "witchcraft" and "Satanism" to me, I'm really not feeling a SA or a Lovecraft vibe from it. Now, I have a dozen Cthulhu/Lovecraft themed shirts, so I really am a shirt fan and it does make a difference to me. I'd be more than happy to work with UMWW to come up with an alternate design (gratis even, that's how much it bothers me) but I wanted to see what others thought about it or if it's just me being all "artistic" again (which I've been accused of in the past.) So, what are everyone else's thoughts on the present design and a possible alternate (cause as the title says, definitely needs more tentacles!)
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Cult of the Black Goat shirt (needs more tentacles)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:12:56 AM »
Big talk for a non-cultist.  ;) Why not design a new one and we will see if the cult likes it. If so, I will produce it and send you a free membership...as well as the offending shirt and the new and improved one. I have spoken!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
You're on. It will be my pleasure. But just to be clear, I meant no offense to the present shirt or it's designer, it's a very nice shirt and extremely well done. (I included the "needs more tentacles" to try to convey not so serious tone, guess I failed.) I guess I'm just on a minor Lovecraft/Cthulhu high right now and that's why i was asking, really wasn't sure if it was just cause of that that the shirt conveyed the impression it did to me. So, not the shirt but the message it sent. Nonetheless, I've been in a sketchy mood lately so let's just see what I can come up with.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »
My .02 Lupins:  I agree with the OP. I had similar impression first time I saw the shirt design....

Disclaimer: IANAC. I have, however, purchased the rules, and some of the books/mags. And started collecting mythos related minis and terrain. And stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:02:56 AM »
I will gleefully purchase any additional CBG shirt designs that may become available!
I really enjoy wearing the current shirt and supporting Strange Aeons. Cultist 64 is a willing slave to fashion of this sort.

Strange Aeons is a good thing and supported with great material covering all sorts of creepy and thrilling themes, a new shirt design will only help to better represent that rich chunky potential.

I know there is an investment to be made on Mike's end to launch a new shirt, perhaps money lost or just tied-up for a long time, but in my fantasy world there would be a different XXXL shirt made for each of the cults in VUK.... o_o
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »
Cultist 64 is a willing slave to fashion of this sort.

Why do I now have "I'm not a Cultist Number, I'm a FreeMason!" in my head?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Why do I now have "I'm not a Cultist Number, I'm a FreeMason!" in my head?

Shouldn't it be me saying that....?
 ;)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
Shouldn't it be me saying that....?
 ;)

Quite probably

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Uncle Mike, as much as it pains me to admit it, I agree with the OP. I didn't sign up for the Cult specifically because it is so NOT Lovecraft. It's more like something I would see a Slayer fan wearing. I didn't really want to be associated with something that conferred an image of paganism or Satanism. I mean, I'm all for Elder Gods devouring the earth and destroying humanity....after all, we kind of have it coming.... but not really thrilled with the art direction on the shirt and cult logo. Just doesn't feel right to me.

I guess what I'm saying is that it needs more cowbell.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
While we're talking about Black Goat.

Is there any chance of a digital only subscription please? I'm not particularly interested in the t-shirt, card or model, but would love to get the written content in digital format :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
The Cult Of The Black Goat is more than an exclusive members only club...it is a way of life! We pride ourselves on recruiting only the worst sort of degenerate scum that the human race has to offer. To this end I feel the current shirt is perfect. We have no plans to modify the current price or package...unless of course in the event of this new shirt being the sort of thing that the afore mentioned cultists would want. No doubt we will put it to a vote. If this happens you may get a choice of which shirt you would like at the time of induction. The new shirt will also be available for all current cultists to purchase.
As for not needing the yearly model...your opinion may change when you see next years figure. Sculpted by a (for now...) nameless sculptor of ill repute who also happens to be a cultist. Let me just say, jeepers creepers where'd you get that eye...and no more shall be said on the subject by me, although I would still like feedback from you guys out there in computer land. I have spoken!

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
We have no plans to modify the current price or package...unless of course in the event of this new shirt being the sort of thing that the afore mentioned cultists would want. No doubt we will put it to a vote. If this happens you may get a choice of which shirt you would like at the time of induction. The new shirt will also be available for all current cultists to purchase.

Fair enough. Vote early and often, folks...  :)

Was a mouse click away from joining a while back, but the shirt just didn't sit right. Give me something Deep as an option, and I will most likely join the crew.

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
I will also throw my opinion out here and say that, while I joined the Cult for the miniatures and extra game content, I was disappointed that the shirt portrayed more of a Satanic bent than a Lovecraftian one. Makes it hard to wear around the in-laws. :P

An alternative shirt design that looks staunchly Shubb-Niggurathan wouldn't go amiss. Might be an option instead of the yearly exclusive-for-cult-purchase-only mini.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
Makes it hard to wear around the in-laws. :P

Actually on this I feel it is the PERFECT accoutrement for wearing around one's inlaws.  lol Bwahaha!
It also gets lots of questions and odd looks when one is demo'ing SA at a con or other gaming event, especially since the only people that recognize it are usually other cultists. ;) Wear it like a badge of honour!

The Cult Of The Black Goat is more than an exclusive members only club...it is a way of life! ... No doubt we will put it to a vote.

#1, you may have to call a meeting of the Council of Thirteen...
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
Stop toying with my emotions, Uncle Mike. I'm still reeling over the Cultists pack with the rifle, cleaver, and bomb belt. I think those are your best sculpting work to date, in fact. That is, aside from Agent 2 Fist (the guy with the tommy and .45) which is my favorite model in my entire, vast collection of models.

When I recover from the huge hemorrhage of cash that was GenCon, I'll revisit the cult. If you're looking for dirtbags and villains, I think I can help you out.