Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:43:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Greetings and salmutations!  (Read 2119 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Greetings and salmutations!
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:55:24 AM »
Hello and an Ia! Ia! to one and all. Took me a little while to get here, but now that I am it seems like the inevitable conclusion of my journey. I'm an older painter/modeler/gamer, on and off for close to 40 years now (I"m 54.) Now, my oldest and treasured minis are my collection of the CoC monsters by Grenadier, which I have multiples of the majority of, in lead. Still think that the majority of those are the nicest Cthulhu Mythos sculpts yet.

Now, I remember when SA was released, it was right when we discovered my mom had cancer, and at the time I was a little perturbed I'd missed the HPL figure so I passed on the game. I also was a PG for Privateer Press at the time, but having to care for my mother and slowly becoming a little disallusioned with PP I sort of got away from gaming in general, although I still painted a bit here and there.

Up until last year, when I learned about Kickstarter. which brought me back to gaming in general. And then came Cthulhu Wars. I was all over that, and went to my other house and dug out most of my Lovecraft books (and also realizing that I originally read Call of Cthulhu in 1969!) It was there I saw SA referenced so I looked it up again and was happy to see how far it had gotten. But also a little put off that I couldn't get the first two issues of STOMAM  any longer. But a lucky trip to eBay netted me the first issue, so I bit the bullet and ordered The Bundle of the Beast. And it arrived today. (Also, if anybody has any leadS to a hard copy of the second issue it would be greatly appreciated!)

Mike, I've only had time to peruse it so far, but I'm really looking forward to checking it out. My initial impressions are very good. Sa looks to have just about everything I'm looking for in a skirmish game (which are my favorites) and as i bonus I saw somewhere that there are solo rules. I've been checking out the forum here in the meantime and it seems like you have a nice little dedicated players making up a very friendly community which I'm happy to now be a part of. I've had some pretty cool ideas over the years and I think this is where they will all come together.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my (not originally intended) long winded post, and a big thanks to Mike and all those at Uncle Mikes Worldwide for putting this all together and making it possible.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Yetis Yell

• Librarian
  • All Gamers Must Die
    • Sarcophagi
Re: Greetings and salmutations!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:12 AM »
Welcome Diehard, you are in very good company here. Looking forward to hearing more about your SA adventures!
Check out my blog Sarcophagi: http://sarcophagi.blogspot.com/

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »
Welcome aboard and good luck with your investigations... hopefully there won't be too many trips to the sanitarium for your Threshold team!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:54 AM »
Welcome aboard, diehard!
 :)

We have made up a nice padded cell further down the hall.
Make good use of it.
 :D

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
It's a grand hobby that waits patiently and keeps such great company.

Welcome back.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Welcome to the cult...er club!  lol
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
Welcome! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!!!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:24:26 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm in the midst of the rule book now (building a Threshold list) and so far I have to say I'm really impressed by the mechanics, very basic yet nuanced enough to cover a broad range of possibilities. Just what one would desire for a smooth flowing small skirmish game. I've got to say well dfone guys and gals.

As to models, while I have the afore mentioned Grenadier CoC monsters and also a lot of Bob's Pulp line (mostly relating to the heroic Doc savage/Shadow area) that fortunately includes all of Bob's hooded cultist figures, to support UMWW I plan on centering my games around their model line and shall use the UM's figures whenever possible. Some really nice stuff there, looking forward to picking up a brush again, it's been a few years since I've found anything interesting enough to really motivate me. And I guess it's finally time to build..... the House on the Hill. More anon.

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:19 PM »
Glad to see another convert! I've had my stuff since July, but I still haven't gotten a game in. I'm almost finished with my UM Threshold agents and then it's on to gaming! Good to hear you have some good models to start out with! I only had monsters and a couple cultists to start, so I definitely need to expand my collection.

Welcome to the cult!