Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The First Six Buildings from 4Ground for Dead Man's Hand  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
The First Six Buildings from 4Ground for Dead Man's Hand
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
I finished the other four buildings from 4Ground over the last week, I do not have any of the Wave 2 buildings at this point. There are a few issues with the instructions, nothing major and there are a couple of sub assemblies that are a bit fiddly and fragile until you get them into place on the building. I used the Female Huckster from Reaper Miniatures (Savage World line) to provide some scale. She's not quite as big as Black Scorpion but definitely taller than Wargames Foundry and Dixon. A couple of pictures below and there are more on my blog:http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-gangs-all-here-4grounds-1st-wave-of.html

It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
Re: The First Six Buildings from 4Ground for Dead Man's Hand
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
Those look very useful.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Yep, great work!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
Actually that middle two-story is a Wave 2 building (neener neener!).  I just received my next six sets from GEG today (only three days via international shipping!).  I'll have several of them assembled for a convention in a few weeks.

I'll be adding to my own thread when I get around to doing them.  Might have to pick up some more wood glue first.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »
I stand corrected! The yellow 2 Story is wave 2. I think its my favorite of the bunch.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »
Mine's sitting in a bag...did they change anything on the build?  I have the following upstairs:

-Yellow two story (wave 2)
-Sheriff's office (wave 2)
-Gallows (wave 2)
-all three of the single stories (already have them, but will be using one to mix/match parts...and selling the other two most likely)

Did you notice any differences between the yellow two-story and the others?  Just wondering.  I'll probably start on one tonight (knock out the gallows, and work on one of the big two stories)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:19:16 AM »
Nope, no differences in construction other than the door on the second floor for the stairs is in the back. Just watch the balconies, they are a bit fragile. Cut a piece of sprue to use to make a second top crossbeam and then you can rubber band the whole thing together while the glue sets. Just don't glue in that temp piece!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 03:30:19 AM »
Heisler,

Fine job on the buildings and the paint jobs.  But I find myself wondering at the color choices.  While it depends on the period your are depicting - and personal predilections, of course - the colors seem a little "rich" for the era.  Will you share with us the how and why of your color choices.  The pale green works for me.  The others I wonder about.  Doesn't matter in the grand scheme.  Just curious.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 04:44:06 AM »
Those aren't my paint jobs. The 4Ground stuff comes pre-painted. All of those are slated to be attacked with the razor saw to add some grain and to breakup the laser precise lines a bit. Then they will be primed white and I will apply my normal weathering process to them. Then I'll decide on colors.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
Aw, so my ignorance was showing.   :?   In that case, I shall await seeing them as you desire.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »
Yeah, Fifteens if you look at the Drake's Branch thread (updated..possibly tomorrow, lol) you'll see the same colour palette.  To be fair though, in some pictures the colours look quite vibrant, where in reality they're rich but not as eye-searing as they appear on the Great Escape Games page etc.  Also, the sides of the single-story buildings are not painted, so the "painted" effect is a bit minimalized.  You could also do a simple devlan much wash over some of the stuff (though on many of the coloured panels there is a heavy wash/powder finish which dulls the look already).

I slapped together the gallows and 90% of the Sheriff's office (a huge pain!)...should be done and shown in the next day or two. 

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »
Nice to see all the buildings together.

I've only built one of the side street buildings but ended up re-painting the front of it to fit in with my existing buildings which, in the main, are battleflag. I have to admit to not being particularly fond of some of the colours chosen for the pre-paints.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
There are definitely a couple of odd color choices. The reds are fine. The yellow is okay, although there are at least two yellows being used. I'm not sure it shows up in the photos very well but my 2 Story yellow builidng has two shades of yellow on it, the 2nd story is a more faded looking yellow and the 1st story is a bit more vibrant. The other colors are a bit suspect. White would have been a good choice to have used.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:36:24 PM »
The Sheriff's building is essentially white/creme colours (pics up tomorrow...still finishing the boardwalks and mine was...modified a bit).  I would have actually preferred the two stories to have been neutral on the sides --- this would have opened up a HUGE selection of modularity between all of the buildings (as upstairs and downstairs are all swappable...so you'd be able to assemble walls/windows/floors/interior walls as you wished).

I will say though, once on the table, I don't get a "too much" colour feeling.  Here are some sample shots (when mixed it with other natural elements, boxes, etc....the colour becomes a bit more welcome)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »
They do blend in better with a bit of scenery around them.