Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Board game tiles  (Read 1943 times)

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
Board game tiles
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
Hi all,

On and off for the past couple of years or so I've been working on some dungeon crawling board game rules. To support it I wanted to do a set of board tiles. In my head I want the game to feel kinda like those games I was so addicted to as a kid, Heroquest, Darkworld and the like. So I'm trying to get a similar feel for the tiles. The issue of course is they had actual factual artists doing their work, where as I have me, a programmer with some Flash skills ;)

Was hoping to get a little input from you guys, since I'm sure you've all seen plenty of this type of artwork over the years. I did all the basic work a while ago using Flash (really need to find time to learn Illustrator, but when you work all day in one package it's hard to find the energy to shift for fun), then yesterday had a play in Photoshop trying to get it to feel right.

Here's where I was:

And here's where I am after tweaking:

A little overexposed in the middle, but I'm trying to get that shiny gloss look most of the old board games have. And then the next step is to add some little details.

I know his are 3d, but I'd love to get the feel this chap has got with his hirst arts stuff. Spectacular isn't it?

I'd appreciate any input people have to offer.

Cheers for looking,
Si

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Board game tiles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
I think they look pretty decent, not bad at all really. How many have you done and what sort of sizes?

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
Thanks :). I'm still tweaking the style but I think I'm making progress.

So far 'untweaked' (like the top shot) I have 6 rooms that size 3x3, 4 at 5x5 and 2 at 4x4. Then I have a selection of corridors in varying lengths, junctions (corner, t-junction, crossroads), dead ends and a staircase. But I'm going to wait until I figured out how I want the final style to look before I apply it to the others.

I've printed out a few and backed them on foamed card to see how they look and feel. Only printed on my cheap inkjet, but I quite like the way they're going:

The models are from the D&D boardgame iirc.

Cheers

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
They look pretty decent. It might be an idea to have several, with the sammen patterned tiling, so you can put them together to make larger rooms.

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
Cheers. I'm still not sure how to do larger rooms, whether just to offer more at bigger sizes, or to try and figure out a way to get around the 'walls' at the edges. Maybe just even remove the edges?

I've done a couple more, quite happy with the style so I think I'll do the corridors like this too. Need to print them out and see how they look in person, the old ones were a bit flat as you can see in the previous photo.

Cheers for looking,
Si