Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chain of Command first game and impression  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Chain of Command first game and impression
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
I got to play Chain of Command with Magnus down at the club yesterday, we ran two Early War platoons, Poles vs Germans. The rules were really good and had imo many strong features which stood out to me.
The command and control is really good, vehicles are really fun and dynamic to use with the junior commanders distributing initiative points on their crew - and the damage chart for the vehicles is also a welcome comeback of detailed results and damages that I've been missing in many new platoon scale games.

Smokescreens and machineguns are extremely valuable, and I think light mortars will become a popular support option because they are a great counter to firepower heavy enemy units and also because of the really interesting turn sequence which uses multiple phases (meaning many effects such as smoke linger on the table for a long time and actually feel meaningful). Another really good feature was the shock/pinned down mechanic, this is the first game I've played where troops are actually pinned down and can't shrug off that effect with a single roll. You can recover from being pinned down and reduce the negative effect of shock over time but meantime the troops will have reduced movement and fire capabilities and act very sluggish.

This really is a game for those who aren't satisfied with Bolt Action, and who want a more detailed and realistic experience - without necessarily adding a lot more complexity as the Chain of Command rules flow really well.

You can read a longer and more detailed account of my first game and initial impressions over at my blog. A full review of Chain of Command will probably be up later this week.

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/08/chain-of-command-first-impression.html

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Re: Chain of Command first game and impression
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
Played my first game yesterday as well. I enjoyed them but there was a lot to take in. We are going to keep at it, as like you said it's more complex than BA and we got bored of BA due to how simple it is.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
I am cautiously liking what I am hearing (and seeing on Youtube) so far.  Waiting for a local guy to demo some games - hopefully soon.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Patrick R

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
Chain of Command synthesizes a large number of features into the rules, using command dice, leaders and deployment to work things that would require dozens of pages of special rules in other games.  Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly fast-playing, but is hard to master and you start to think in tactical terms rather than just figure out how to use the game rules to your advantage.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
I've been playing BA, and the simplicity just lets the game move on.

But... I have to confess as to being intrigued by CoC. As I only really have one opponent so far, BA will carry on, but who knows? Maybe CoC someday? The  multi-d6 activist ion mechanic seems interesting.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
Hi

I was privileged to see the game in its infancy at Crusade in S Wales last January when Rich kindly ran some games using my terrain.
On seeing the final product I can confirm that what was already a terrific game has really lived up to my expectations.
I also have a copy of Bolt Action and cannot stress how much better Chain is. As a game and as a historically accurate system and it knocks BA into the proverbial cocked hat.
I can't recommend it more and to all the chaps hesitating before taking the plunge and especially those who are deep down disappointed by Bolt Actions failure to deliver something better I'd really encourage them to give Chain a go.
You won't be sorry  8)
cheers
Geoff
I came, I saw, I went home again..