Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN Volley fire question  (Read 3806 times)

Offline gwoods64

• Schoolboy
IHMN Volley fire question
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Hi

Have a rules query that I was wondering about that came up in our first game.

With IHMN volley fire do you add the Pluck modifier as well as the +1 for each fig adding to the lead firing figure?
Reason is in the game Lord Currs lot fired at Ra's Akhenaton who has armour +13 and Pluck 2+. Very difficult to hit and when you hit his extremely good Pluck means its very difficult to kill him.

If the Pluck rolls are added to the modifier for volley firing then it would make it much better.

With the rules stats Lord Currs lot are by far and the way the worst for Pluck. Wonder if this is correct as they do not like H2H fighting  - especially as the Incorrigibles have no H2H weapons and Pluck 5+. only Lord Curr has 2+ Pluck, rest are 5+ or so. So a 50% chance of being defeated for every hit!!!

Compared to Ra and others they are not good.

Any views thanks
Gary

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: IHMN Volley fire question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Nope, you don't add the Pluck modifiers. You can't compare the Pluck of troops to characters, compared to Ra they are much better than the cultists but not as good as Arkhenaton who is very difficult to kill.

It all depends on how they are used. Lord Currs lot can put down one hell of a firing line and in our games, if they are allowed to do so, usually win.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
So get Lord Curr to fire at Akhenaton with his Arc Rifle. Akhenaton is suddenly Armour 7, which means Curr hits him on a 3+, and he's suffering a -2 Pluck penalty meaning he has to roll 4+ to survive  :o.
Mohan Singh hits Akhenaton on a 6+ and again the Pluck save is 4+.
Even a lowly Incorrigible hits Akhenaton on a 8+, and cause a 3+ Pluck save. Add three friends and suddenly these chap is hitting on a 5+.

Lord Curr's company is a subset of The Explorer's Club. It is a gun-line list, not a brawler list. Set up lanes of fire, make sure your men are stationary and in cover, use your superior range and pick the enemy off. Quickly scythe down the lesser men, then pin down the characters.

In steady hands Lord Curr's list is a killer  :D.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
Being on the receiving end of the Prussian Jaegers I found them similar (shooting-wise) although the addition of a bayonet makes them deadlier in H2H.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:45 AM »
Being on the receiving end of the Prussian Jaegers I found them similar (shooting-wise) although the addition of a bayonet makes them deadlier in H2H.

Man for man the Jaegers are much better but in my experience the weight of fire from the incorrigibles wins out in a straight shooting match. Poor Singh never lasts long though.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
Man for man the Jaegers are much better but in my experience the weight of fire from the incorrigibles wins out in a straight shooting match. Poor Singh never lasts long though.

Possibly because I can buy 5 Incorrigibles for the price of 3 dastardly Jagers  :D

Offline gwoods64

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:10 PM »
Cheers guys,

That cleared that up.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Does the "Marksmanship Talent" ignore the "Stealth Talent,"

We've been playing it as if it doesn't. 'Cos basically I think ignoring the cover the target is in is powerful enough. Without ignoring someones talent to use cover.

Thoughts please?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
Does the "Marksmanship Talent" ignore the "Stealth Talent,"
We've been playing it as if it doesn't. 'Cos basically I think ignoring the cover the target is in is powerful enough. Without ignoring someones talent to use cover.

What an excellent question :D So let's look at the talents in question shall we?
Marksman: Choose a ranged weapon for this figure. When Shooting with this weapon, it ignores cover penalties.
Stealthy: When this figure is in terrain that provides cover, any Shooting attack against it suffers an additional penalty of -1.

The Marksman talent does not ignore terrain or even cover, it ignores penalties that come from the figure being in that cover. The terrain shall continue to block like-of-sight so if the target is more than 3" into that terrain the marksman cannot see him.

So if the figure with the Stealth talent is in terrain that technically provides cover anyone shooting at it takes a -1 penalty.

So the question is this:
Does the stealth ability provide a cover penalty or is it a separate penalty?

I shall be meeting up with Charles this weekend and we'll  discuss this and make a ruling. However, in the meantime we'd love to hear the opinions of all you IHMN players out there.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »
The way the math works out, you are usually better off taking multiple shots than using volley fire.

Unless you really can't hit without the volley bonus.

There isn't a whole lot you can do to adjust a single pluck test, so the key to taking figures out is forcing them to take as many tests as possible.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Hi Maxxon  :D

The way the math works out, you are usually better off taking multiple shots than using volley fire.

I knew a mathematician would be along eventually...  lol

There isn't a whole lot you can do to adjust a single pluck test, so the key to taking figures out is forcing them to take as many tests as possible.

It is a good tactic. Another is ensure you have at least a couple of weapons that impose pluck penalties and use them on the difficult characters.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
Plucky Bastards is what we call them.  lol

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
A similar questions about Marksman vs Stealth is what happens when a Marksman shoots at a figure covered by Zone  of Shadows ?

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Marksman Vs Stealth
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
I think that the Stealth talent should still count, even if an LOS exists to the target with the talent as long as the target is in covering terrain.
Just as a thought maybe Marksman as a talent could just reduce the covering terrain by one factor for the firer. That would make it a bit less powerful for 5 points. Or maybe step it through 5, 7 and 10 points. Reducing the terrain in increments correspondingly.
Marksmanship 5pts reduce terrain penalty -1
Marksmanship 7pts reduce terrain penalty -2
Marksmanship 10pts reduce terrain penalty -3

Just a thought. Don't want to over complicate matters. o_o

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
Another is ensure you have at least a couple of weapons that impose pluck penalties and use them on the difficult characters.

Yes, if there was a significant difference in them. Most weapons have a -1, some better ones a -2 modifier, a couple rare ones have -3 but nothing beats that. If you could get a weapon with, say, -5 pluck mod, then stacking volley bonuses to hit with it might be a good idea. Especially if the weapon was inaccurate to begin with, say +0/-5. Or even -2/-5.

P.S. Passing high school math does not make me a mathematician.