Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Urban terrain in the making  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Urban terrain in the making
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
Inspired by the amazing terrain on the LAF boards, I decided to start building some urban terrain.

Although the pics are of somewhat crappy quality, I hope you can make the buildings out!

The three buildings: A Terrace House from Sarrissa Precision's Gaslamp Alley range, assembled, primed and painted in one evening, a scratchbuilt gunshop and a factory

Close-up of the first two buildings. The second building is scratchbuilt from foamcore, card and plasticard. Making individual bricks were a real pain! It will later recieve a sign to cover up the shoddy work in the middle of the upper part.

The start of my factory, which might end up as the centerpiece for my (future) 7TV cast!

I would love some feedback and tips!
/Ockman

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Urban terrain in the making
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
A good start there. What are you looking to do with the factory in terms of cladding, plasticard brickwork? Thunderchicken and Pappa Midnight have some great threads on Victorian buildings that are full of tips and ideas.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
A good start there. What are you looking to do with the factory in terms of cladding, plasticard brickwork? Thunderchicken and Pappa Midnight have some great threads on Victorian buildings that are full of tips and ideas.

I'm going with a concrete finish on the factory, perhaps with some old cracking paint in places, so no bricks there!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
Sounds good. There is a very good tutorial on painting concrete on here somewhere. I think it might have been Sangennaru for the one I'm thinking of, though Zizi did it here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49644.0

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
That's coming along nice.  8)

Sounds good. There is a very good tutorial on painting concrete on here somewhere. I think it might have been Sangennaru for the one I'm thinking of, though Zizi did it here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49644.0

Indeed, all credits go to Sangenaru. His thread is here :
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=26860.0
Somehow the link in the thread doesn't work for me anymore. Nevertheless,the tutorial on his website can be found here : http://www.thelazyforger.com/2011/03/pavel-road-tutorial/
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
A good start! Keep us posted!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »
Really liking the factory, hoping to see it progress soon! What kind of factory is it going to be, how is it going to look inside?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »
Really liking the factory, hoping to see it progress soon! What kind of factory is it going to be, how is it going to look inside?

Chemical plant or brewery, I hope  lol

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
Chemical plant or brewery, I hope  lol

For now it looks like it's going to be a chemical plant, but we'll see... In the connecting building I thing I will put some homemade generators: two halves of a plastic soda bottle cap joined together with half a 25 mm base at each end, some plasticard added!

Anyways, the project goes on, mostly with Sarissa Precission buildings!

There might be more detailing down the road, though I think this looks nice enough for now!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Nice additions, will you be making interiors to those as well? And what kind of base board you have planned?

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
Nice additions, will you be making interiors to those as well? And what kind of base board you have planned?

Interiors will have to wait, since I can be somewhat of a perfectionist and want a playable board somewhat soon. But it might come some day (every house is undercoated on the inside)

Base board is a bit of a problem, hasn't found anything that I like yet, but I've got some styrofoam sheets down in the basement. A part of me wants to make a modular board (like miniature scenery's Urban Grounds), but it seems like a lot of work. I'm still waiting for Sarissa Precision's sidewalk set to be released, perhaps that will help me decide on what way to go.

The thing is, I've got a table which is about 900 mm deep, on which I intend to put my finished baseboard, but most games seem to be geared towards 4' x 4' (while I'm thinking about 3' x 4' or 3' x 5' board). What to do?

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »
The thing is, I've got a table which is about 900 mm deep, on which I intend to put my finished baseboard, but most games seem to be geared towards 4' x 4' (while I'm thinking about 3' x 4' or 3' x 5' board). What to do?
Build a dedicated 4 X 4 table of course.  It will fit in the dining room.   :D  My wife does not think so either! 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
Sorry about the picture quality, but now there's a roof on the latest building!