Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late Spanish Reconquista In 28mm - Suitable Figures?  (Read 11869 times)

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
Late Spanish Reconquista In 28mm - Suitable Figures?
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »
I was thinking of uses for the 28mm Perry plastics and Spain occurred to me. Looking at my history books it looks as if, disappointingly, the reconquista was pretty much all done by the period these figures cover, with just the Conquest of Granada falling squarely in the zone (1482 - 1492). I was thinking that the Perry plastics might be suitable with selective use of figures and heads? With possibly some Foundry Conquistadores mixed in?

And would the Perry Berber / Arab figures for the Crusade work for the Emir of Granada's troops? Obviously they were designed for 400 years earlier but it seems to me that those robes conceal quite a lot! Does anyone make figures intended for this period that would work (for either side)?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Late Spanish Reconquista In 28mm - Suitable Figures?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
The Assault Group Spanish would be ideal

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Thanks Lowtardog -  they wouldn't be a bit late? They look (to me) to more early 1500's than 1482-1492 - but I'm certainly not an expert.

Also, as an addendum, apart from The Osprey book about "El Cid and the Reconquista 1050-1492" are there any other books that cover the lat 15th Century - with illustrations? It seems to be a period that is a bit neglected (or perhaps I'm simply not looking in the right place!).

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »
Littelarmies
This previous thread on here is relevant and maybe useful, as the questions arose before. Essentially the perry figures are a good fit, but its the Moorish troops that are tricky, but it depends how accurate you feel you need/want to be?

When I once asked Michael Perry about extending his EA Range to Spain, it seemed unlikely to happen, but you never know...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=51643.msg606162#msg606162

Cheers
Simon.

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »
My impression is that the late Granadans looked fairly European - you might be to get away with using the Perrys modified with beards & helmet scarves/turbans etc, plus the usual Iberian kit like adargas (TAG sells those separately.) Though it would be nice if the Perrys would at least do a Granadan head sprue... ;)

I know of two other Ospreys that cover the period :
- The Moors : The Islamic West 7th-15th Centuries MAA 348; the final section of text, plus plate H, are about Granada. ("Spanish influence on Granadan costume was obvious in the 14th-15th centuries.")
- Granada 1492 Campaign 53; lots of good stuff for the Granadans, even more for the Spanish, including lots of contemporary illustrations and kit.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
This is a good thread!

I have also been looking for miniatures since I first read the Osprey Reconquista book. I will steal any advice you have to offer  ;)

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
Someone in another forum suggested the North African marines from Old Glory's Ottoman range (OXT-20), and they do look pretty spiffy as peasant militia crossbowmen, which would be the bulk of most forces in this last phase. And then if you can convert some booted light cavalry - the Perry plastics when they come out might be a good basis - and mix in some North African-looking mercs, you're pretty well there. Fortunately, it isn't a very complicated list.

Redoubt also has a line of Moorish marines in their Renaissance range, but my understanding is that Redoubt figs are big - not just tall but heavily-built - so mixing them with other manufacturers can be tricky (though, from what I've read here and there, the scale issue is more significant with cavalry than infantry... apparently Redoubt horses are gigantic. :o)

Offline Sir Walter Rlyeh

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »
I play the Spanish Reconquista.  I picked 1212 as the time period for my Iberian adventures as this was the date of the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa.  This was the high water mark of Islamic Spain so the forces are still even.  The Christians have early heraldry and the Andalusians look good on the table. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
I play the Spanish Reconquista.  I picked 1212 as the time period for my Iberian adventures as this was the date of the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa.  This was the high water mark of Islamic Spain so the forces are still even.  The Christians have early heraldry and the Andalusians look good on the table. 

I've attended several campaign days (when WAB was at it's zenith) and mostly we played the era of El Cid (to keep the armies balanced more then anything). There are some pics on one of my blogs here if you're interested(Just scroll down the pics a little):

http://darrellhindley.co.uk/?m=201010

As has been said above, the best troop types I can think of for the Reconquest of Granada would be the Early Renaissance Spanish from TAG.

Darrell.

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
Hello,
Thanks everyone for their advice - as for me missing the Granada 1492 Osprey - clearly I should have used a few more search terms!

I will ponder on this. As Naples was linked to Spain at this time I guess some Italian gear would be evident in the Spanish too?

Malc

Offline Tiberias

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:52:08 AM »
Another option for Spaniards using Perry minis is to play Christian v Christian. The Reconquista may have been winding down, but the minis are just right for the Castillian War of Succession, Catalonian Civil War, Navarrese Civil War, or any of the endless squabbles in the mid 15th century surrounding border feuds and personal vendettas of bellicose lords like the Counts of Pallars.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
Hi !

This could be useful ( and beautiful  ;) )

http://warfare.likamva.in/Renaissance/Pastrana_Tapestries.htm

I think the best range for Spanish 1492 would be Perry's !

( With careful choice of helmets )

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:12 AM »
So, the consensus seems to be that TAG / Perry (with careful selection of heads) could work. But the Granadans are a bit more of a problem. With careful selection of figures of Perry and Gripping Beast Moors you could make a start - but i suspect you'd need a lot of headswaps and greenstuff to do it properly.

Thanks for tapestry link Byblos - that looks wonderful doesn't it?

I also find I'm rather intimidated by the Perry plastics (my normal scale and period is 15mm Napoleonics).

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
I will toss my three pence worth in here and say that yes, the Perry's will work... as will some of the TAG figures, for the Spanish at least. Headgear and helmets will probably be the biggest headache though. The Grenadines and the Moors are a bit harder, but I would imagine a selective mix of Crusade Era Moors and maybe even some messing around with the Perry Plastic Sudan Ansar, might work.

The Grenada War lasted ten years and began in 1482, so I imagine there is plenty of scope in that period for anyone, let alone anything else. There were a number of short-lived rebellions afterwards too. It's something I've never looked into myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a wealth of work (unfortunately in Spanish if you don't read it) about on it. If that isn't enough, there are Portugal's Wars in Morocco, which attracted troops from as far away as England if memory serves me... I even vaguely recall one of the Grey family led troops there.

It would however be a fascinating project.  :)