Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What rules...  (Read 922 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
What rules...
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »
... did you play "in the day" but don't play now because they are discontinued/unsupported?

1)  Which ones does it pain you to have OOP?  Would you buy/play them if republished?  What do you use now for that era/genre?

2)  Which ones did you think you'd miss but now, in 20/20 hindsight, you see "better" rules you would play instead even if the old rules were republished?  What rules are you using in their place and why?

3) which ones did you think were so great but now you see as "okay" and might not buy if republished?  What do you use instead and why?

Gracias,

Glenn

my answers tomorrow (or maybe after Tai Chi... if my body says, "okay.")

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: What rules...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
I would say Epic: Armageddon, but it's not doing too badly for an (officially) unsupported game. And I only don't play it at the mo because there are a lot of other shiny rulesets and 'periods' distracting me.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:17 AM »
<snip>
1)  Which ones does it pain you to have OOP?  Would you buy/play them if republished?  What do you use now for that era/genre?
2)  Which ones did you think you'd miss but now, in 20/20 hindsight, you see "better" rules you would play instead even if the old rules were republished?  What rules are you using in their place and why?
3) which ones did you think were so great but now you see as "okay" and might not buy if republished?  What do you use instead and why?
<snip>

1)  FGU's Space Marines - but only if the Blarad, Rauwoof, and Whistler figures were back in production which is pretty much never happening per the IP owner.
2) Tractics.  Turret ring hit probability - says it all.  Although WRG ancients...  Currently nothing for either.  Also honorable mention would be Tricolor; Column, Line, and Square; and Pas de Charge.
3) Anything D&D after first edition (and that begins to show major issues) - Pretty much would resurrect OD&D rules if I re-started  a campaign after retirement.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »
Mordheim was my all time favorite. However, it has serious mechanical drawbacks that always bugged me.  Nonetheless it was the inspiration for Brink of Battle in scope and scale.  Still Mordheim is one of the best 'atmospheres' out there.

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games