Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:20:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691089
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What Gaming Conventions in US are Oldhammer compatible  (Read 4147 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: What Gaming Conventions in US are Oldhammer compatible
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:18:53 AM »
Basically I'm thinking of having a table at an event on which several of us enthusiasts are playing through a narrative battle for visitors to observe and get a flavor of what WFB used (should?) be like...perhaps we have a few units that people can pick up and add to the game?

Little Wars in the Chicago suburbs is -as mentioned- a nice option as there's alot of folks who appreciate an old-school flavored game or one with a good narrative behind it. It's not fantasy or Sci-Fi Focused at all, but I've run those types of games the last few years and always had enough interest. I've run Song of Blades, a Mad-Max style game with "Wastelands", and a 28mm mech combat game. Each game had 4-6 players and we always filled up.

I would suggest rethinking the idea of a few enthusiasts playing and visitors watching. The whole point of a convention is for visitors to participate.  Setup a scenario with 2-3 people per side with each controlling a certain number of units.  If you've crafted and playtested a good scenario, some of the players might get the oldhammer bug.

Of course, if you can get a set of enthusiasts to sign up for your game ahead of time, that's fine too, but at a convention like Little Wars, there are so many games going on at once, that only the grandest spectacles or particular "trend" games seem to get visitors who really stick around to watch.  People are there to play, so let them play!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 06:18:09 AM »
Not to sound cynical but who determines who has "merit" to participate?

Sure, by merit based I mean if I run an event I'm putting my back into it with dozens of hours of prep time, and several hours at the con itself with friends setting things up etc, and the reason I do it is to share the hobby with like-minded folk. There's a common refrain in many lines of work that people don't appreciate something that was free. Such is gaming at a con where random strangers sign up and you have 6-8 completely random people at your table. I'm essentially playing craps that maybe I'll meet some like minded folk and we'll be able to relate, but I've been going for over a dozen years and I fear it's me who is going to sound cynical here but my chance of success based on the existing system is pretty slim. All I mean by merit-based is folks meet up on a thread, such as one of the many incredibly awesome threads frothers have produced over the years, like the mad madge or cthuedo etc, and people step up and participate in a meaningful way.

Also, it's fine to say go change the system but in a con like Kublacon the system is entrenched and event organizers run a tight ship their way. My friends and I do tend to buck the system, but that means we end up playing the best games there in a way that NO ONE can participate who don't know us already, that is we run them in the open gaming area and it never goes on the books.

Now before I start to sound too pessimistic there are rays of hope out there, such as at Endgame Oakland where they run a few "minicons" each year wherein people can sign up first come first serve for games in advance and reserve their seat by laying out some insanely low amount of cash like $3. Asking for $3 for the seat is an incredibly effect psychological move as it's so low you won't think twice about paying it for an afternoon of fun but you're not going to take the seat unless you actually want to be there.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:37:28 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 07:00:31 AM »

Kublacon and the other American cons I've been to have a more or less broken system for setting up games.

The vision I have is a system where slots in my game are merit based and arranged ahead of time, so that someone coming from out of state knows what they will be getting into before they buy the plane ticket and the group can get excited and post pictures of what's being painted for the event and what not. You know, like it's done in the UK. Our system is just bust. :(

Hear, hear, I second that! I was president of HMGS PSW in California and worked to put on some of the best cons in recent years here for minatures players (mostly historical), but when I tried to say we should have a registration and fee to play or reserve a seat I was laughed at.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
Since we are talking about (ranting to some mild degree)  it seems in convention games some people wan tyou to spend hours creating a Martha Stewart table terrain-wise, display impeccably museum quality miniatures, and, cherry on top, play it in their favorite rules and scale.

But that is the reality of of some cons.  The idea that you can just put forth your best effort in a game you enjoy and people will flock to try your humble but genuine enthusiasm is, in my experience, sadly mistaken.  I have the T-shirt...

There are always the "popular/trendy" games, there are always the established groups (some more open to newbies,) and and there are games where (for whatever reason) it seems it isn't "kewl' to play some too old or too unknown rules/scale/setting.  And that actually is fine.  I believe if people pay money to attend a con they should play what attracts them.  If being a scale/terrain/rules snob prevents someone from experiencing something they missed then that is their choice.  When I attend a con I usually play at least one game a friend is running even if I don't like the rules, (TSATF with it's clunky/kludged up melee, for example,) but enjoy the persons I know will be involved; I always strive to play a new set of rules i don't know; and I always try and find a "Air Combat" game that I might be able to learn something from/for my own gaming.  I am there to explore and play.  

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
As a convention newb this is all great info guys...lots to chew on here.  If hoping for two events a year maybe on is a com and one is more of a day for enthusiasts to gather and play....perhaps at a particular gaming store rather than a con.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline forlorn

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
HMGS is on the East Coast (Historical Miniature Gaming Society) and they have 2 conventions in Lancaster PA with a convention known as Fall In! coming this November. You could certainly put a game on at this venue.

See www.hmgs.org
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:06:11 PM by forlorn »
A dash of salt. A pinch of make believe. A dose of wishful thinking. A smidgen of truth. There you now have the recipe for a rumor.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:32 PM »
As a convention newb this is all great info guys...lots to chew on here.  If hoping for two events a year maybe on is a com and one is more of a day for enthusiasts to gather and play....perhaps at a particular gaming store rather than a con.

Cheers,

Blue

If you're going to run an "official" convention game, then it probably has to open to any who would be in attendance. Usually this is done on a first-come-first-serve basis with tickets and registration.

However many conventions have table space or separate areas for pickup games or folks get together to game before/after hours.   The key is to check with the convention organizers first to see about table and space availability.  Who knows, maybe if you can get 6 players committed ahead of time, you can meet at the convention and play your game with a set group of people.

All that said, it might be best to gather some like-minded folks at a FLGS, or at your home for some gaming to find out if there are even enough interested folks for it to be worthwhile approaching a con organizer.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
I don't attend big-dollar cons...so I guess all of this is quite new to me.  The cons I've attended (Triangle Simulation Society, Siege of Augusta, GnomeCon etc.) would all be incredibly open to this (hell...any game really).  Sad to see that so many cons are vehemently biased or far too political.

I run games at a lot of cons and it's always a no-questions-asked, slight discount for hosting, and some free raffle tickets.  Now the cons I attend are simple, cheap and often one-ballroom affairs...so I guess I'm out of my league here with suggestions.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
The only con I go to is Enfilade in Olympia, Washington. Enfilade is more like a gathering of old friends, and familiar faces for most of the attendees. We all get a little older, a little more gray or bald on top, and share old and new stories. One thing I noticed this year was that there were many younger gamers in attendance. They seemed drawn to Battletech and the new Star Trek starship games in particular. Most of the gamers have dabbled with fantasy, or sci fi wargames, or are avid players of both those genres, and historical wargames. Oldhammer would go just fine at the convention getting  many, "Oh yeah I remember that..." comments and smiles. On the whole I think most gamers who attend the con do it for relaxation and fun. We all love having bragging rights, after all.

Terrain at the convention ranges from the simple to the magnificent. This year we put on "Eat Hitler" by Howard Whitehouse, and it was immensely enjoyed by all. Dinosaurs and Nazis, how can you go wrong with that? Oldhammer would be a fine fit.

Offline MatrixGamer

• Bookworm
    • http://www.io.com/~hamster
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »
I go to Origins and Gencon and can honestly say they are both good for minis games. A fantasy retro game should go over well at both shows.

Where you go though will largely depend on where you are. I'm in Indiana so the big shows are close. If you out west, wouldn't closer to home make more sense?
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://www.io.com/~hamster