Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice wanted please: 28mm scale wingless Dragon models and Balrogs  (Read 3649 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
I hope that you guys can help me. I'm looking for a Glaurung-esque dragon model for my Middle Earth fantasy project. So basically, I'm after a pretty large dragon model with no wings, possibly more 'serpent' than classic traditional dragon...

I also fancy a balrog...not the GW movie thing, which is great, but really doesn't suit the Tolkien description of Balrogs from the First Age where they are mentioned as being about twice the height of an elf hero - as per the account of the duel of Glorfindel and the Balrog or Ecthelion of the Fountain and Gothmog from 'The Fall of Gondolin'.  Am not keen on wings on a Balrog either...(not that I want to revisit that old chestnut as a debate here...)

Before I spend hours fruitlessly trawling the web I thought I'd ask on here as you guys have so much knowledge of so much stuff that's out there...

Thanks in anticipation...

Andy

Offline Limaike

• Librarian
    • Trollwood
Re: Advice wanted please: 28mm scale wingless Dragon models and Balrogs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »
Warploque miniatures have just brought out a big wingless dragon. It's the best on the market imo. Grenadier have a huge range of old school dragons that you could just leave the wings off too.

http://ttcombat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Warploque-Miniatures-Dragon.jpg

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/dragon-lords-dragon-of-the-month.html

As for Balrogs.. i'm only really familiar with the old citadel and newer Peter Jackson-inspired winged versions. How do you imagine them to look? Are they humanoid? Do they have a tail, horns, big teeth, that kind of thing? Twice the height of an elf is quite tiny in anyone's books. You might have more luck finding a 50-60mm wingless demon if you look through the old school D&D demons that were made before the scale creep set in.

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Devils_%26_Demons

Reaper miniatures has a huge range of demons too. This one might suit your needs. He's about 35mm at the waist.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/demon/latest/14461

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:31:18 AM »
You may have a wait on the Warploque dragon as they have just completed a kickstarter project. It is a lovely beast though.
Scroll down a little here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warploqueminiatures/arcworlde-the-fantasy-skirmish-wargame
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
Many thanks. That dragon is killer, but pricey!

I don't want to just leave wings off winged models, as there is always a 'lump' where the wing should be...

I know that I'm in a minority wanting a 'small' balrog, but that's what Tolkien says about them in The Fall Of Gondolin...Elves kill them in the battle and even Gothmog, lord of balrogs is slain by an Elf hero, so the ginormous monsters of PJ's movie can't be 'right' (cool though that movie Balrog is!)

I'll keep looking and if anyone else has any other suggestions, keep 'em coming please.

Many thanks.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
I think most companies like Ral Partha or Grenadier released small balrogs or similar demons in the past.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++