Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:50:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WHGW A brief review  (Read 10542 times)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: WHGW A brief review
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »
The CEP*
If out of ammo, the Portuguese soldiers can reload their rifles with mud! But first must wait two weeks for the rifles to arrive to the front, but they can eat the mud while waiting, this increases moral.
You can use the CEP as a British ally force, but all soldiers are automatically injured during friendly football matches. Miraculously they all recover as soon they leave the field!

*CEP = Corpo Expedicionário PortuguÊs -> Portuguese Expeditionary Corps

EDIT: sorry about the lack of info about the CEP given by myself, here is a brief history:
http://www.worldwar1.com/france/portugal.htm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:53:19 AM by meninobesta »
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
Maltese cook - any British force may take up to one Maltese cook. Roll a die for each unit: on a roll of 4-6 the troops in the unit double up with a bout of Malta dog, take no further part in the battle, and count as casualties for scenario conditions.

Maltese Steward - may only be taken in addition to Maltese cook. If taken, the unit only gets Malta dog on a roll of 5-6, as  the food will be cold by the time it is served and some refuse it outright; but those units that get the dog also get their boots stolen.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
Hi,

Reading this post is very interesting. It amazes me that the "tiny" T+T rules are compared with the new book from Games Workshop Historical. Anyway... here are my spells to support the German Army List.

Der Monokel Ray : Range 120 " Ignores cover and does not need a line of sight to the target. All allied troops are blinded for the entire game turn which can last a couple of hours.

Der Himmelstoss : German troops will always find cover in the tiniest little shell hole except the eastern front in winter.

Der Esbitkocher : defrosts all eastern front ground and can be combined with Der Himmelstoss.

Cheers
Björn

, ,

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »

Reading this post is very interesting. It amazes me that the "tiny" T+T rules are compared with the new book from Games Workshop Historical.

A good set of rules is a good set of rules, no matter who wrote them. I like the initiative/order system in T&T and the general game philosophy. In Warhammer I like the stats line for troops that gives a degree of variety between different troops types.

T&T has not had the same exposure as Warhammer, which is the only reason they are not as popular. Give yourself a pat on the back for them  :D

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »
Thank you.
Ok, done Jim !

I`ll give one to Chris too when I see him next time !

Cheers
Björn

Nagelstiefelsturmtruppen : Receive a d6" extra move on paved ground.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 08:11:02 AM »
Thank you.
Ok, done Jim !

I`ll give one to Chris too when I see him next time !

Cheers
Björn

Nagelstiefelsturmtruppen : Receive a d6" extra move on paved ground.

Ok, when you've done that, get on with the Spanish Civil War book you're doing!  :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »

that's the main reason why I won't be playing this rules! if they've made a system like "legends of the.." for the old trench fight with shovels and grenades, then they would have a player!

Contrary to what I posted earlier, it appears that rules for small trench raids will be included in the next book, along with gas and snipers etc.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »
Surrealist detachment (French troops only): cuases enemy watches to melt, their right buttock to expand circa two meters. The detachments may also pelt enemy with higly symbolic pommegrenades, open to many interpretations.

Surrealist trench raiders (French troops only): may approach enemy troops claiming "Ce ca n'est pas une arme!". Enemy troop rolls D6 1-3 accepting this, 4-6 checking if they are right. On a roll of 11 3/5 they join the surrealists.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:25:50 AM by hammershield »

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »
Wiener Mélange(Austrians only)
The unit may do nothing while drinking a good cup of coffee. This makes the unit completely immune to any psychology. To use Wiener Mélange, the KuK-player must talk nonchalant in a viennois accent.
"Da schau, der Iwan! Magst a Nockerl?"
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »
Special Character;

Squadron Commander, The Lord Flasheart Grounded by bad weather, Lord Flash takes time to show these ground johnnies how it's done. He may take over one platoon and immediately lead them into the attack. Other units within 12" take a leadership test not to follow.

Flash will lead his men towards the nearest most threatening enemy, i.e gun emplacement or machine gun post, pausing every other move to deliver an heroic speech involving self-praise and sexual innuendo - Woof!

Upon reaching his target, remove any troops accompanying Flash, along with the target model. Flash may then return to his own lines in time for tea and medals - Hurrah!

"Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:51:13 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »
Cunning plan...(British only)Due to some strange goings on at HQ involving some travelling chefs and a small kitten there will be no offensive today. Hurrah! All British troops will stay in their trenches and drink tea for the remainder of the game.  :)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
I see I was beaten to the Cunning Plan. For game balance purposes I think it should only be allowed to be invoked if the enemy player is armed with anything more lethal than a sharpened guava half.  :)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »
Cher Ami: American player may prevent his own artillery from hitting his own men. After using this wargear, it must be stuffed and sent to a museum.

Curse of the Isonzo (Italians only): If the Italians win, they must immediately replay the exact same game.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 02:48:42 PM »
Italian Bravery(Italian army only)
The Italians get VPs for every own unit fleeing the battlefield, except Alpini, Arditi & Bersaglieri.

Though I guess that's more WW2.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
There is a review out at the Ospreys Bloq

http://www.ospreyblog.com/blog/2008/05/the-great-war-i.html