Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:17:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My gaming table - wip  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
My gaming table - wip
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »
I'm building an 8' x 4' (extendable to 12' x 4') gaming table for the man cave and thought I'd share the wip shots in case anyone else has a similar project on the go.

Base construction complete: 9mm MDF sheet on a frame of 60mm x 45 mm timbers

Timbers are joined using a halved joint (see inset for detail) and then strengthened using a plastic joint

Jessie the dog decided to investigate the activity in the man cave . . .

. . . and ended up observing from behind the safety gate on the basis that inquisitive dogs and powertools are not a good combination

Details of the corner - I've reused the legs that came with the ktichen base units to give the base more stability, the chipboard offcuts serve two purposes, they give more length to the leg but more importantly they have a hole in the middle acting as a socket for the peg on the top of the leg which was originally inteded to fit into a hole in the bottom of the cabinet.

Castors, these are 75mm braked castors that allow me to move the table around the room and give me more floor space if needed. The initial design had 4 casters but I added another 4 (one at each corner) to prevent the weight of the kitchen cabinets (and lead contents) from causing the base to bow.

Underside of the base showing location of cabinet legs and original 4 castors, red circles show location of additional castors added after this photo was taken.

Base with figure for scale :)  this is my father without who's help I couldn't complete the project.  Thanks Dad!

Positioning the kitchen base units, there are 4 x 600mm wide units, one at each corner - they are joined on the innside in their back edges by a strip of white melamine 6" wide that runs from top to bottom. Forgot to photo this part but it's key for the rigidity of the table - the red rectiangle in the picture should give you an idea of the position. I have deliberately left the backs off the units to allow for long items to be stored and to give more storage space.  I'll be recylcing them as terrain/building bases at a later date.

Another view of the cabinets - these are just screwed through the bottom into the base - one requirement of the design is that I have to be able to disassemble it just in case I need to relocate it.

Design fault - the gap under the table is big enough to allow a tennis ball to roll underneath - result a very frustrated dog that constantly interrupts whatever id going on until the ball's retrieved. I will be adding some skirting to reduce the gap :)

Basic construction complete showing MDF panel that supports the top in the middle and separeates the space between the cupboards into two 610mm wide storage areas.  I intend to fit runners/shelves to store terrain modules in this area.

Measuring up storage containers - the local surplus store has a good selection of cheap plastic storage boxes that will allow me to organise the contents of the storage under the gaming table.

Progress so far ... construction is complete and the kitchen cabinet doors are added.  I've deliberately not fitted the door handles, the doors are easily opened from their edges so all the handles will do is tear trouser pockets and or stab vitals so best left off.  My old TSS terrain squares fit nicely into one of the central areas and the other contains my 'I'd better keep this polystyrene for my next terrain project' collection.

All that remains to do now is

* paint the top of the table - probably a watery blue colour for naval games and to act as a riverbed/coast when I use terrain boards
* add the 2' hinged extensions to each end (to give me the 12' x 8')
* fit the curtain that will cover the center storage areas
* paint the exposed wood/mdf of the base
* buy some beer and organise some games!

M
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: My gaming table - wip
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
Nice job!   8)

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
I see a weekend away in the future  :D

Isn't that right Nick  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Now that is one awesome table. I love the castors and the storage space beneath. Good on dad for lending a hand too.  :)

How is it "extendable"?

Just realised from your pics that the height of a wargaming table is ideally much higher than a "normal" table.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
Lovely stuff - I thought I'd had a brain fart and managed to get to the New Yankee Workshop!

I'm not in a position to have a table with storage so I'm going to have to build something different.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Nice bit of carpentry. :) Great work all round.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 03:48:26 PM »

Isn't that right Nick  ;)

cheers

James

Yeah baby! ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »
That is one very nice gaming table.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
I see a weekend away in the future  :D

Can it be timed at a point I can drop the family off at the inlaws? Good excuse for me to get away  :D

Just realised from your pics that the height of a wargaming table is ideally much higher than a "normal" table.

Yep, you want something around the height of a kitchen worktop so you aren't bent over too much if you intend to use it a lot. I suppose it depends if you spend your games sitting down, I tend to stand. Personally I'd go a little higher as I'm 6'2".

I'll be building something similar as soon as my man cave has been built. Somewhat depressing that after a month we're back up to ground level again! Still, everything goes up now, no more digging (other than the trench for gas/electric/internet).

A couple of questions, does the table rest on the legs or the casters? If it's the legs, how do you lift the ones in the centre to let the table move? With the table cupboards and recesses full, can you still move the table?  ;D

I'm unsure how to proceed with mine to be honest, I'm torn. Either something very similar to yours (which was my original intention), or making three 4x4 tables that connect together but can be moved independently.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

The table is the same height as a normal kitchen worktop so there's less backache and it gives more storage. It also lines up nicely with the kitchen worktops running down each side of the man cave so if I want a really huge table I can extend across the table onto each wall with 2x4s and then put a worktop on those.

@Dewbakuk -  It rests on the casters, the legs can screw down - by reaching underneath and manually turning them.  Originally when I was planning 4 casters the legs were essential, now I have 8 casters the legs are less important.

The table still moves with a full load, that was one of the reasons for fitting the 75mm casters rather than the 50mm or smaller, they seem to need less inertia to get them rolling.

I'm sure we can organise something to conincide with your visit to the inlaws :)

@Furt  -  There will be two 2' folding ends (like a kitchen table) that can be lifted and held in place to give an extra 4' of length

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
Very fancy - a great table!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
Well, you certainly are not messing about, mate.
What a great table.
Love the storage options and ability to extend.
Genius!
 8)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Top notch work, props to you and your dad.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
Excellent stuff :)

I'll drop the family off in Southampton on the way then, they can get picked up by the in laws there ;)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »

Ahem! Cough. I'll be down south soon  ;)

Fab work matey. Now I've got man cave envy.
Don't!