Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Winter War 28mm Kickstarter range  (Read 17274 times)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winter War 28mm Kickstarter range
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »
I have been lucky, still waiting on 2 more trucks, a missing bench for the other truck I got, a Finnish MMG team and about half of my Model Cander showed....overall, not a bad thing.....I think poor Gav is just overwhelmed as a one man operation, the casting machine going down and having to rely on some outside sculpting and casting to gum up the works..

Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »
Wow, that really sucks!

I think poor Gav is just overwhelmed as a one man operation, the casting machine going down and having to rely on some outside sculpting and casting to gum up the works..

I wouldn't call him "poor".
Kickstarter have an option to fix a maximum number of orders. You want to reach a minimum level to make things large scale, but you don't want to overdo, especially when you've got to do it alone.
I don't honestly think that "well, too many orders sorry" is an excuse, reaper did that, as well as many others. That's HIGHLY unprofessional, and unethical. Might be legal, but just that.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »
Gav gave me a refund....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »
Gav gave me a refund....

Judging by the photos of the miniatures on the KS site and previous efforts by Baker Company, he should probably extend that to all his customers.  ;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
Well I have just asked for a refund so lets see what happens

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
In fairness, Gav didnt seem like a crook, just in over his head.  However, I only pledged the one intro squad and after 3 'attempts' to send, I just asked for a refund and got it in about an hour or two.

Hopefully you guys are made whole as well!

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
Still waiting for most of my stuff as well. Some guy at my club already received everything sometime in the Autumn and some haven't received anything.

I think Gav went quite a bit over his head with the Kickstarter with all those free stretch goals and free shipping. Especially the shipping will be costly as in the beginning he was shipping multiple packets to people. He's probably going at something closer to 1000 deliveries and some going to USA etc. with weights of multiple kilos so it's not going to be cheap.

But even without the shipping costs the sheer amount of minis to be cast and sculpted is ridiculous. Ainsty said at TMP that they are producing about 4000 vehicles of 8 different types. With none of this being automated everything is done by hand. If you are doing this fast you might get done 6-8 vehicles per hour done with all the drying times etc. And your rubber moulds are only going to be good for something like 50-60 resin castings a bit depending on the geometry and amount of undercuts. So they are going to have to do at least 7-8 moulds per vehicle type. Add to that something like 130,000 figures that Gavin is doing alone. And you can't do too many lead castings with the same mould in a row before you have to let it cool down so assembly line style speeds are definately not going to be achieved. Even without your regular orders coming in to disturb you they are looking at something like a half a years worth of work just casting this stuff nonstop. And I'd expect at least Ainsty to have other things to do as well.

He should definately have made the stretch goals cost something and limit the amounts. Carried away with the joy of success I guess :D Sculpting quality definately went down the drain when he realized just how much he needed to sculpt. The few minis I received contain the worst miniatures I have ever laid my eyes on. The couple of ones he did before the campaign were actually of a pretty decent standard.

But I think the main issue with the whole campaign is that he has just completely gone offline. No updates and no answers to anyone. A few sentences every week or so would have kept people happy instead of the once per month updates that everything is finished next week, which was always clearly a blatant lie. And now we don't even have those :)
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline gameclassy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »
I know a fellow who is interested in the reds if anyone is looking to dump what they have

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2015, 02:02:47 AM »
 I did a rough tote of the figures ordered and it came to around 15,000.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:15:55 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2015, 09:42:34 AM »
I did a rough tote of the figures ordered and it came to around 15,000.

Yes but he has been casting for over a year.  I think the main issue is he is now just ignoring his backers.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
Yes but he has been casting for over a year.  I think the main issue is he is now just ignoring his backers.

Perhaps because he is putting al of is his time and energy in casting that amount of mini's? It's never a good thing to "ignore" your backers, but do try to put yourself in his position.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »
I first met Gavin some years ago when he was starting Warmacre, enthusiastic and keen he may be, but he is at heart a decent and honest man, please don't confuse him with a con artist......
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
Perhaps because he is putting al of is his time and energy in casting that amount of mini's? It's never a good thing to "ignore" your backers, but do try to put yourself in his position.

Its not just that he has ignored his backers he has promised delivery many times to the backers and kept telling people he had sent stuff when he had not or that he would send it next week.  I was fine waiting and told him this but the issue now is he is ignoring everyone rather than just being honest.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »
I opted for the everything to be delivered in one go. Last time I heard of Gav was before Xmas, telling me that items would be sent in January. I have enquired twice after that about the items but got no reply.

I stated that I would be happy to take resin vehicles instead of metal miniatures if the casting of lots of infantry minis is a problem etc but nothing. It is starting to be a huge disappointment and would be now happy just to get my money back from this.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »
It's a shame. But one thing that can be learned form this is that there is obviously an apitite for 28mm winter war figures. Other manufatureres should take note.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/