Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691267
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Winter War 28mm Kickstarter range  (Read 17301 times)

Offline warmacre

• Assistant
    • warmacre.com
Winter War 28mm Kickstarter range
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Baker Company have started a new Kickstarter for a new range of 28mm miniatures for The Winter War between Finland and Soviet Russia of 1939-1940: click here

The range includes Finnish Soldiers in snow camouflage and also early Red Army soldiers. Eventually the range will be available as blister packs of 4 miniatures for each type of soldier (running rifleman etc). However, for Kickstarter, each pledge level includes a fighting unit which includes Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs), sub machine guns (SMGs), light machine guns (LMGs) and riflemen as you will need them in most miniature wargames.

More details and stretch goals can all be seen here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1030835091/winter-war-wargaming-miniatures

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Winter War 28mm Kickstarter range
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
Good luck with this KS. Great period to game an I look forward to the future.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
There is a serious shortage of Finns from this period. Bolt action used to do some, but warlord retired the moulds as they were worn out. Now there aren't many other companies doing winter war. I am interested, and will have to work out if I can buy a platoon or two. Cash is, as always, a bit short at the moment.

As a foot note, it's worth noting that warlord are bringing out their rules for the Finns in the new axis rule book for their bolt action game. The rules should be out soon...a happy coincidence?

Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
All very nice sculpts  8) 8) 8).

An interesting war to cover that I think I'm right in saying has only really been covered in 20mm?

BTW, I think this should be in the 'Commercial' section.

Darrell.

Offline warmacre

• Assistant
    • warmacre.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments! Sorry for putting this in the wrong place, my bad - can we move it?

Just a quick update - we are at 46% of our funding goal after 29 hours - good so far...

Thanks,
Gav

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »
Not my thing, but the models look great and I wish you the best of luck with it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments! Sorry for putting this in the wrong place, my bad - can we move it?

Just a quick update - we are at 46% of our funding goal after 29 hours - good so far...

Thanks,
Gav

Gav your placement of the topic is fine.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
Gav your placement of the topic is fine.

Cheers,

Helen

My bad  :).

Darrell.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
Interesting. Those look quite good whereas the recent Vietnam 'Anzacs' are some of the most awful looking miniatures I've seen in a long while, at least judging from the photos. They are also without doubt the most poorly researched range I've seen, wrong weapons, dodgy poses, uniforms etc.

Hopefully these are a significant improvement. The photos do look promising. Not quite sure why you would have T-26s and BA-6s as stretch goals, they are already well coverered by other manufacturers. Might be better to look at something someone else doesn't already do.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
As a Finn I am more than interested in this, thanks for the heads-up.

I am pretty sure that you guys are well aware of that Finnish Def. Forces (FDF) made available a huge photo resource online, covering the Finnish participation in WW2? Here's the link, just in case:

http://sa-kuva.fi/

And I'm more than happy to help out with more reference pics etc. Oh, and pls, make some model Cajander Finns as well.

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:02:48 PM »
This is a great idea.

I would also query the need for vehicles. Maybe some Reindeer sleighs?

The only thing I would query would be the rifle stock against the shoulder pose of the two firing Finns. It looks a bit like they are held out in front or held against the Bicep but it might be the camera angle.

Offline macsparty

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
This is a very exciting announcement, and I am in. Already I see the first stretch target has been reached.

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Looking good, have had to support a local company :D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
In the past I have been disappointed by the sculpts by this sculpter, particilally the no go zone stuff, but I have to say that I am impressed with the sculpts I see here. I am glad to see the kick starter doing so well.

As I previously pointed out that the bolt action book to cover the winter war will be out in November this year, just in time for this kick starter to finish.

However, I feel I should point out that warlord games will be bringing out their own range of Finns to support their book. I phoned them today to ask what was going on with thier Finns, and they confirmed they had some to come out. I think they are new sculpts rather than reworking of their old ones. I have no idea what they are bringing out, or if it will include support troops etc.

I am sure this news will be a disappointment for Baker company as they must have thought they had spotted a nice niche in the market, and now a giant company like warlord are muscling in. That said, baker company seem to be making a good job of building a complete range of figures, with all the support troops etc, and so might prove to have an advantage over warlord.

It seems waiting for winter war Finns is a bit like waiting for a bus: You wait for ages then two come along at once!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 05:12:51 AM »
I like to believe Rob that all companies can work together. It's a win win for gamers/collectors and Gav is taking this period to another level.

Warlord Games will no doubt release their range very soon and people can vote with their wallet.

I ask Lon at Brigade Games to look at the unreleased Winter War Finns that should complete another pack or so for the range.

Cheers,

Helen