Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tabletop rules for Cthulhu or similar?  (Read 10957 times)

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Tabletop rules for Cthulhu or similar?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 04:10:32 PM »
Mike,
 I agree, action is the easy part.  I jsut dont want to game to bog with problem solving.  I'm thinking for certain scenarios to use "pieces of the puzzle" whjen found and put together solve the problem for the players.  That way they dont have to "role play" the situation out, it is more or less given to them. as you said, make it more of the scenario design

I might just have to break down and get a pdf verson of SS2 instead of waiting for the convention.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »
it's also very important to capture the spirit of Lovecraft adventures. The Cthulhu monsters don't suffer from peer pressure, they don't running around wild trying to fight against the hated mankind. The beings like Great Cthuluh, Nyarlotothep or Yog-Sototh are rather "lone wolves".

I've made the pic from the  "The Golden Dawn, sourcebook of victorian occult" book. I found, the image reproduces really well such an encounter. We have a monster (Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath), wild cultists and an investigators/scientists group

Other possible groups are policemen, hunters(on monster hunt), mob etc.

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 08:14:56 PM »
**Crack**

"Did you hear something?"

"Maybe the wind?"

"Holy crap its the Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath"

"RRUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!"

Yup, typical encounter   :lol:

Great picture!  So let me get this straight, not only are you a talented figure painter but also a very good illustrator?  Damn, I really dont like you....

The main "monsters" I am looking to use so far in my game are the more managable types, Insane cultists, minor beasts, a few larger ones (i.e. Deep Ones), but something that can be actually handled.  I havent really put too mich effort into the larger ones.  I think it would be very hard to take one of them down.

I think some of the better scenarios are the ones wihtout any of the monsters.  more of the fact finding missions with a crazy cultist thrown in there.  I think that can trasfer well to the tabletop.

I see people discussing putting Cthulhu (actual) on a tabletop and it is hilarious.  How the hell could a group of investigators handle that!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
Quote from: "sdeyoung"

Great picture!  So let me get this straight, not only are you a talented figure painter but also a very good illustrator?  Damn, I really dont like you....

Sorry, misunderstanding, actually i've photocopied the pic from book not self drawn. Hope you like me now  :lol:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »
Quote from: "sdeyoung"
How the hell could a group of investigators handle that!

Dynamite? :wink: i agree, the large things are not really to handle but maybe in a scenario namely not an action part but one of things to consider (don't go too close to the monster)

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 12:12:50 AM »
Sorry about that Alex, the way you worded it I thought you nade it.  Your back on my good side

Dynamite?....   Maybe a thremo nuclear device!  or 3

Offline Cyaegha

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 02:20:40 PM »
Rafm have been working on some skirmish rules, for use with the Modern Heroes line, they are still in development at present, however over on the Rafm forums you can see some pics from a recent demo game.

A few dozen Deep Ones and the poor illfated investigators.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 03:43:21 PM »
Prof.Witchheimer says :
it's also very important to capture the spirit of Lovecraft adventures

I agree with thad but the problem is thad I will also have my cool figures on the table and thad are the big ons .
So what should I do ?
anny Ideas ?

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 04:55:26 PM »
Grimm,
  the scenarios I like the best are finding things and accomplishing tasks.  You usually fight the cultists and perhaps one or two monsters. Now granted, once i finish my collection of figures, I am sure they will all find a spot in the game.  

I've been going over alot fo the scenarios I have and alot of them will transfer well as most of the beasts encountered are the minor types, so fighting them will be easy.

It will be neat to see what traslation RAFM takes on it.  I'm toying around with a few ideas, but my results will not be "global" as they will reflect my own Bias.