Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Creating "Props" for tabletop game  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Creating "Props" for tabletop game
« on: July 08, 2006, 01:47:19 PM »
I was sitting htere last night and trying how to "translate" certain things onto the tabletop.  Since handouts and props are key to enjoying CoC, and solving the scenario, I had a thought.

Much like in the previous thread, instead of having the players "role-play" out the problem, simply give them the pieces and when they get enough or the right combination something can happen.  that way you can still have the "feel" of thegame without it bogging down while people try to figure things out.

I simply nicked these images off of the web and laminated them into a business card sized pouch.  making a nice looking "prop" for hte game.  

I figure the characters can get a mission card of sorts that would have a matching image on it.  it can either be a series of pages from a book, an image of an object, or something of that nature. once they collect their proper pieces, their one goal is accomplished.  

Using a system like 45A or similar where encounter chits are part of the game, you can either have predetermined spots for the pieces or a draw deck where all the pieces are hidden.  For example, search a bookcase, draw one card, remove chit to show it has been searched.  I think this will keep it simple but still have the mood and setting.

So thoghts on this? does it sound like it will workm and still give a good CoC feel to the game?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:03:10 PM »
That could work, Steve. I could imagine, there are for example four parts of an ancient map, the map to the hideout of the cult. Some of the four places will be watched by cultists, some not but they are hidden. If you get all the parts you can get into the temple and fight against one of the big monsters

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:41:06 PM »
Good idea Steve !

Bj
, ,

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 04:47:11 PM »
realy nice  cardīs can you make a better Pictur or tell me where you get the graphics ?

about  the Senario the    idea is cool, but ther is one problem wehen the investigator  player search for the four parts of the ancient map, the cultists player sitting araund and can only  watch.
Thad is boring for himso,so my proposal is handle the cultist as NPC,S and make a secund  investigator    band .
The secund band are the bad guyīs  they  will not  destroy the big monsters they will take controll  of the monster .

So now we have a race for the for parts with a fight against two bandīs and a few cultist īs.
And we have a ritual  for  wake up a big one for either control or destroy him.
and by the way to bandīs in struggle abaut thad .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 05:42:06 PM »
I took the images off of someone who sells LARP (Live action Role PLaying ) aids.  His user name is Zarono on ebay.  

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZzaronoQQhtZ-1

if you go into his completed auctions there are even more.

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 06:06:13 PM »
ok, that link worked....

Grimm, you are correct with the statement of the cultists.  I had planned on having them as NPC type characters.  I like the idea of competing Investigators.  that is another good idea.

typically, what would happen if a player is searching a room or something similar, there would be an encounter chit.  There is a deck of encounter cards which hold things like the book pages I have shown or an trap or an actual encounter with either a Cultist or other NPC type (who also might hold the clue to something)

This way depending on what is found, the player can use differnet techniques to solve their quest.

Also, these are just my test runs for the pieces, so perhaps once I am done I could share some of the files and such.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
"It's only a flesh wound...."

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
Etranger,
thanks for the links.  they will be helpful