Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 696
Total: 702

Recent

Author Topic: Any Turtledove fans?  (Read 6021 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: Any Turtledove fans?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
I like the alien WW2 series. My favorite stories by him are still the alternate Great War with North against South, but I couldn't get into the newer ones where the story continues into WW2. He also does a Armada wins and takes over Elizabethan England. Also a WW1 fantasy series. Dragons instead of bombers, sea monsters for subs, etc. Couldn't get past the first book.
While we're on alternate worlds, Greg Keyes does the Age of Unreason. Sir Isaac Newton goes into alchemy instead of physics.
Inspired me to do Star Wars Baroque: http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/search/label/SW%20Baroque
-J

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
STAR WARS BAROQUE! Truly inventive! We need an SWB board!
Your artwork is reminiscent of John Blanche!

Update to the Turtledove project, I placed an order with the Warstore for the skinks and carbines, so I'll convert them while waiting for the Origins convention next month, I should be able to get many cheap vehicle bits there!

Star Wars Baroque... hmmm.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
Yes....I'm working on the figs as we speak. Just saw Prince Caspian and the baddies helmets gave me an idea for the Sturm Grenadiers.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »
Baron J, those look fantastic.  I was trying to figure out what could be better than Boba Fett as a winged Hussar, and then I saw Lord Vadr in the black cuirassier armour!  Truly inspiring, thanks

W

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
I read the first WWII novel and enjoyed it, but not enough to invest the time to read the rest of the set.  The Civil War book was odd, though, Soth Africans selling AK-47s to Lee to keep apartheid, pushing a thin envelope too far..........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »
I read the first WWII novel and enjoyed it, but not enough to invest the time to read the rest of the set.  The Civil War book was odd, though, Soth Africans selling AK-47s to Lee to keep apartheid, pushing a thin envelope too far..........
I really liked Guns of the South, it's the reason I bought the Perry's plastic ACW figures. ;)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »
I do recall reading the first of the WW2 books sometime ago....way back before I realized what Alt. WW2 was all about.  I can't even recall how it finished, or if I finished it....time to go digging I guess.

Any I also heartily recommend the Old Crow stuff and may be a great match for 'alien yet humanesque' design.

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »
This is a pretty good overview of Turtledove's Timeline 191. This is the name given to the series beginning with "How Few Remain". It's an alternative history (ie - there aren't any aliens or time-travelling South Africans).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline-191

The books:

Southern Victory or Timeline-191

Second Mexican War (1881) How Few Remain

Great War Trilogy (WW1) American Front | Walk in Hell | Breakthroughs

American Empire Trilogy (1920's and 1930's) Blood and Iron | The Center Cannot Hold | The Victorious Opposition

Settling Accounts (WW2) Tetralogy Return Engagement | Drive to the East | The Grapple | In at the Death

It has a lot of interesting ideas.
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »
Hi backyardpatrol was wondering how you are getting on with your plans for wargaming the Turtledove books? I've been thinking along the same lines but with 15mm, as it's cheaper, although finding sci fi lizardmen has been bit of a problem. As for 28mm, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Pig Iron resin tanks, or Ground Zero Games for that matter
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »
The lizards? Well I'm torn. I made about 12 GW skinks with cadian Torsos, they are an expensive conversion! Then I find Megaminis used to make Droyne Warriors which are pretty much perfect for what I want, only very scarce, they are out of print, and Mark Miller has the old molds.
So should I stay with the GW Skinks, which cost about 5 bucks a piece, or should I hunt down the Droyne on Ebay?
I'll get the camera out and bang off some snaps so you can see the current results.
As for the landcruisers I haven't really been searching. I did find lots of cool designs, but they are all hover craft, and Turtledove insists that all the Lizard armor is tracked!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 09:00:39 PM »
Someone on Frothers recommended these to me, they are 6 dollars for 5, so not bad (They are 25mm). Have a look at Pig Iron and GZG for your vehicles, there are tracked tanks there

http://achesoncreations.com/Arrow/scifiction/sf3.htm

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »
I could kick myself, I spent time at Acheson booth at Origins, I can't remember if they had those lizards or not! I was a little preoccupied with their Japanese pacific bunkers!
Wow, the price point is right, I'm going to order a pack, they look like they'll fit right in with the Skinks I already have made. If they're good thats my "Race".
Great tip!
Right now I'm liking the Gladius and Glave from Old crow for a MBT and Apc. I like the options of Wheeled or tracked. GZG didn't have any MBT's or Apc's that flipped my skirt, so to speak.
I did put an order in this week from Artizan for some heroes/heroines and bad guys from the Thrilling tales and Kiss-kiss range.
For rules I'm going to hybridize Mordheim, Necromunda and Gorkamorka/2nd ed 40k (for vehicles). I figure those systems are dead enough yet well known to still appeal.
Plus who knows I might do a tech level 7 or so Traveller game with the Mongoose rerelease!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 03:50:15 AM »
These may be of some interest to you.

Regiment games Drantak sold by Scale Creep Miniatures. http://www.scalecreep.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=21&sort=3a&page=1
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:52:07 AM by twrchtrwyth »

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 05:17:15 AM »
twrchtrwyt, Those are great sculpts, unfortunately The Race doesn't wear clothing, unless it's a hostile environment, which seems to be anything below 100 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as I've read (just starting book four) they do wear flak jackets!
The Race wear body paint to denote rank and status. I like the heads on those figures, cross between admiral Ackbar and Joe camel. I can see why they are some gamers aliens of choice!
I tried to order some of those Acheson figs, but I can't just get a sample, for some reason their online cart has to be a minimum of 20 bucks. Looks like I'll have to get 24 of them whether I want them or not! The pictures (I hope) do not do them justice. Plus I wonder how they scale with other figures.
Maybe I can get some Drantakh' lop off their heads and have some cold weather troops!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »
Glad you like the Acheson figs Backyardpatrol. Believe me its even harder to get 15mm sf lizards. Thinking of mixing Tabletop figures with Stan Johansen figures. Neither are the greatest sculpts and very limited variety but I'm using HOTT so I dont need so many figures. Using Italeri diecast planes and Peter Pig figs and tanks for the humans and a mix of Brigade minis vehicles and GZG for the lizardmen.