Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690933
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review of the HuMPT1 kit from CNC Workshop  (Read 2716 times)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Review of the HuMPT1 kit from CNC Workshop
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
I built up one of the new MDF kits that CNC workshop put out this summer and finally got around to taking some pictures and writing up a review.  It's a pretty neat looking kit that pushes the boundaries of what can be done with MDF, but the kit has a few flaws.  The most important is that the scale is quite big, meaning it's going to look a bit off for something like Infinity.

More pictures and info a t my blog:

http://thecolorblindmodelpainter.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-reivew-of-heavy-multi-purpose.html

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Review of the HuMPT1 kit from CNC Workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
Shame it's a little out of scale,  I could do with a few of them.  Feedback to the company could be useful?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
Very nice review you've done there.

I had my eyes on the upcoming not-Batman-tumbler, police version. But I think that before I commit I'll wait for some reviews of the model once it's out.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
excellent PJ  :o ;D The Model looks like Lego Technics to me and for 29$ i can get a "real" Vehicle Model from Antenocity/Old Crow etc  :?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
For being MDF, that's a pretty brilliant little design.  Amazing what you can do with simple 2D sheets of particle board.  Nice vehicle.  The price is far too steep for me, especially now that I know what most of the cost stems from.  Shame.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »
Life....too....short....

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:30 AM »
Shame it's a little out of scale,  I could do with a few of them.  Feedback to the company could be useful?

Yeah, if it could shrink down roughly 15% to 20% it would be much more useful on the table.  I dropped the company a line stating as much and I haven't heard anything yet.  Their designer posts over on Dakka, so I might send him a PM.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »
It might be more useful when smaller, but I'd say it's pretty much spot on for what it's supposed to be really. Have you ever stood next to an actual truck/lorry?

Also, most of my vehicles are 1/43, 1/48 or 1/50 to begin with, so it would match better with those. personally, I think most 1/56, 1/60 vehicles are too small, especially considering the massive bases underneath the minis. Still; I suppose it makes sense with the limited space of the gaming table to make vehicles smaller.

Overall, I really like it, but its bulky aesthetics are more suited for 40K I feel. It's too clunky for Infinity, which is ever so slick. Same goes for G.O.T. or AT-43.

But...  At the price it is, I'd probably find myself some diecast or toy truck of the right size and do some minor converting and painting. Especially considering the time it would take to build and make this MDF truck pretty (enough), for me it would not be worth it I fear. Maybe, if it were € 5,- a piece...

+++EDIT+++
for 29$ i can get a "real" Vehicle Model from Antenocity/Old Crow etc  :?
Daniel: the price stated on the blog is his total amount in US dollars (including additional items and shipping). The actual price is AUD 22,-, which converts to approximately € 17,50 sans shipping...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:52:20 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Rob_Jedi

• Librarian
    • Rob Jedi's Miniature Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »
I worked on one of their buggy kits recently, I'm still detailing it though so it still isn't painted yet. They really benefit from a lot of putty and sanding to smooth out the cuts and round off the curves on the fenders and wheels.

http://robjedi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/borderlands-buggy-cnc-buggy.html

I'd heard that he retrofitted a CNC router with a laser head so the precission isn't quite as good as other lasercut kits. But it has to be said he's a great designer doing stuff I sure haven't seen anyone else try from MDF. They tend to be a bit big and complicated to build though.

http://robjedi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/cnc-antenna-dishes.html

Also did up his radar dishes. The vending machines kits are next to clean up and assemble.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
+++EDIT+++Daniel: the price stated on the blog is his total amount in US dollars (including additional items and shipping). The actual price is AUD 22,-, which converts to approximately € 17,50 sans shipping...

ah i see,my bad then  :) 17.50 is much more reasonable though  lol

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
I guess I should have been more clear that the $29 was the base price plus shipping.  Sorry about that.

I worked on one of their buggy kits recently, I'm still detailing it though so it still isn't painted yet. They really benefit from a lot of putty and sanding to smooth out the cuts and round off the curves on the fenders and wheels.

Damn!  That's a lot more effort to invest in the buggy kit than I would have been willing to put in.

I'd heard that he retrofitted a CNC router with a laser head so the precission isn't quite as good as other lasercut kits. But it has to be said he's a great designer doing stuff I sure haven't seen anyone else try from MDF. They tend to be a bit big and complicated to build though.

Yes, I posted the review over at Dakka where the kit designer posts and he said essentially the same thing, but that they were trying to install smaller drive gears on the head to smooth out the curves, but I think that may be throwing good money after bad.  They are already at a disadvantage with the rest of the world in the shipping cost arena, so having a laser that can't match the quality of other manufacturers doesn't look like a path to success for me.

As to the size, I did put it next to some 1/43 vehicles and the best match was a large panel truck.  I use 1/43 die cast cars for my ATZ games and for cars and pickup trucks and other smallish type vehicles, things look ok, but when I get out bigger vehicles like delivery trucks and garbage trucks the scale really starts to tell.  I'd put this in the same catagory, where it'll work as a piece in the background, but it's not going to be a centerpiece on the table.