Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691093
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp My Rules  (Read 5518 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Pulp My Rules
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
Sinewgrab,
I ran an 8 player Pulp Alley game at our local con, RECRUITs in 3 hours:
http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/2013/04/pulp-alley-at-recruits.html
It worked out great. The key is preparation. I had the Leagues ready along with short dossiers that gave the group motivation and their objectives. I also made stat cards for each model. You could turn over the card after a model moved to help remember if that gone yet.

Thanks for the post, Baron. I've been chewing over ideas on a way to indicate which models have acted and which haven't. My initial thoughts were to create some tabletop markers -- tiny bases of shell casings to show which have fired (and how many times), dust puffs for those who have moved/acted, and so on. You could even take your stat card per model idea and print it two-sided (one sided says "ACTED"). I foresee that being the biggest slowdown -- trying to remember who has fired, dodged, brawled, etc., this turn and how many times. Any other players have suggestions for that? In a 2-player game, I'm sure it's easier, but in the big multiplayer one it could be a challenge.

And finally, Baron, you guys deserve thanks for what you do with Recruits -- a con devoted to bringing new and young blood into the hobby. Bravo!

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
Thanks for the post, Baron. I've been chewing over ideas on a way to indicate which models have acted and which haven't. My initial thoughts were to create some tabletop markers -- tiny bases of shell casings to show which have fired (and how many times), dust puffs for those who have moved/acted, and so on. You could even take your stat card per model idea and print it two-sided (one sided says "ACTED"). I foresee that being the biggest slowdown -- trying to remember who has fired, dodged, brawled, etc., this turn and how many times. Any other players have suggestions for that? In a 2-player game, I'm sure it's easier, but in the big multiplayer one it could be a challenge.

I like Jaye's flipping-over-the-cards idea. Mostly because it was easy for other players to see who still had guys left to activate. If you're going to use cards thats an easy way to do it.

In my experience, players do a very nice job of policing themselves and each other. So even when we do our big 5-6 player games, keeping track of stuff is not a problem. It could be an issue if one person had to remember it all, but you really shouldn't need to do that normally.

Hmm... but in a convention setting, when all the players are new, having some kind of markers might be helpful...  Hey, what about a paper record sheet, character's names on the left and columns for each turn. When a character activates, put a dash in the appropriate column, and maybe a little 'X' for each time they use a Combat skill in the same turn? That might avoid having to move around markers every turn.

HAVE FUN
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:00:07 AM by d phipps »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
Or you could put markers/pente stones/poker chips on the character's entry on the roster or the character card? Provided the roster/card does not need to be moved around.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »
Hey Mike, thanks. Once again this weekend it was everything from gray beards to school kids. Always new RECRUITS!
As David said, most players seem to police their own troops. Only snag I had was my Cult League. They have a dozen models. They're crap, but there's alot.
-J

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »

At Brisbane Muster, Bill had the clever idea of printing the cards in color on one side and b&w on the flip side. The b&w side indicated that the character had already activated. The b&w side still had all the stats, so it was easy to check stats as needed.

They also had cool idea for the counters. Check the pics on their post -- http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=58513.0

HAVE FUN

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »
At Brisbane Muster, Bill had the clever idea of printing the cards in color on one side and b&w on the flip side. The b&w side indicated that the character had already activated. The b&w side still had all the stats, so it was easy to check stats as needed.

They also had cool idea for the counters. Check the pics on their post -- http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=58513.0

HAVE FUN

Nice idea.

I just put a black stone next to it. I have the specifics of their abilities on the back of the card.

I was thinking about trying out the old Magic: The Gathering tap too..
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
I really dont like the idea of having all those markers on the (playing part of the) table, but every man his cake.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
The other option is to put the markers on the figures' cards. Helps keep track of things, but keeps the table clean.

Bill.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 04:50:19 AM »
I really dont like the idea of having all those markers on the (playing part of the) table, but every man his cake.

I'm with you, in general. I like to have any markers essentially be pieces of terrain. I abhor the neon-colored markers saying "pinned, etc. "That's why I was thinking of making up things like a tiny, flocked washer with shell casings on a for models that have shot, for example.

I also like the idea of the color/black & white cards, and putting the markers on the cards themselves. That way, you don't have to make them nice-looking terrain, so to speak. They could simply say "Shoot," "Brawl," etc. if they're being placed on the cards.

Mike Demana

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 05:46:37 AM »

I don't think people are discussing markers on the board but rather on the cards old sport.  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »
I don't think people are discussing markers on the board but rather on the cards old sport.  ;)

There was a link to a game, where a lot of comic-style markers were used, hence my comment.  :)

I agree that most of the posts on this thread are about using the markers off the playing surface, though.

HAVE FUN

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
For our own Pulp Alley games, we don't hardly use any obvious markers. Our injury tokens are just little stones painted to blend in somewhat with the terrain... which they do a bit too well sometimes.  ;D

It may be because we don't use them, that I am so fasinated when I see the creative stuff other Pulp Alley players come up with. I remember some really cool injury markers someone (Phil maybe?) made by dripping red ink on a clear plastic tokens. It was just kinda cool seeing all those blood splatters.  :o

Personally, I don't use many tokens/counters in our games but I can certainly see the value for the folks that like to use them.  :D

HAVE FUN