Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:32:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Windsor and Newton Matt Varnish  (Read 3510 times)

Offline whiffwaff

• Scientist
Windsor and Newton Matt Varnish
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »
I need a strong varnish thats also Matt.

I'm thinking of using a gloss then covering with Matt to mute and tone down the effect.

I was going to use W+N matt spray. Any one had any experience with it?

Another other suggestions are welcome but its needs to be available in the UK and must be strong strong strong!

Cheers

Adam

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Windsor and Newton Matt Varnish
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »

Another other suggestions are welcome but its needs to be available in the UK and must be strong strong strong!

LINK

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
Windsor & Newton Artists' Matt Varnish in a jar.  Leave it for ages until it separates, then decant as much of the carrier (clear liquid) as you can. Mix the remainder up and try on a test figure, wait until it dries matt and without any white bloom. If you get white bloom add carrier to the mix until it goes. Best used over a water based varnish (I find I get a more matt finish). Apply it like  a thin layer of paint. do not thin for airbrush use.

Or use Humbrol Matt Cote, use as above, provides a very protective coat, no need to gloss first.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
I need a strong varnish thats also Matt.

I'm thinking of using a gloss then covering with Matt to mute and tone down the effect.

I was going to use W+N matt spray. Any one had any experience with it?

Cheers

Adam

W&N Galleria Matt, either brushed or airbrushed. Tough, quick-drying, and VERY matt.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
Here is my solution, maybe not the most orthodox but it works.

http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/matt-varnish-my-latest-recipe.html

Tony

Offline whiffwaff

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
Great stuff all round chaps.  Thanks

Am off to pick up supplies this afternoon.

:)

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »

Or use Humbrol Matt Cote, use as above, provides a very protective coat, no need to gloss first.

Red I used to use Matt Cote but I though it had changed and wasn't the same anymore?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:51:58 PM by soldieroftheline »

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
all their range has changed, it's all made back in the UK I believe. Their gloss varnish is really cloudy but actually dries to a very clear and hard protective coat. The Matt Cote seems to have more carrier in it, but if it's left to separate (and decant) it's fine. It's certainly the toughest matt varnish out there, but also the most expensive.

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
Purchased a can of W&N matt varnish spray recently. Up until now I have been using Army Painter matt varnish, which is very effective, but VERY brutal - it really dulls everything down, and if you overspay it, there will be white patches on your model all over.

The can of W&N I bought was actually much cheaper than a can of AP would have been. And the result of the W&N varnish? It does take the shininess away, but it does not dull the colors. (I don't know about how protective it is, haven't dropped a figure to figure that out :) Accidental overspraying was not a problem either, there were no white patches.

All in all, it's W&N matt varnish for me from now on.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
all their range has changed, it's all made back in the UK I believe. Their gloss varnish is really cloudy but actually dries to a very clear and hard protective coat. The Matt Cote seems to have more carrier in it, but if it's left to separate (and decant) it's fine. It's certainly the toughest matt varnish out there, but also the most expensive.

Ah, so that's what my problem is.

I wasn't very satisfied with the W&N Matte as it took three coats just to get my figures down to a "satin" finish and then I gave up and accepted what I had because I was on the edge of applying so much varnish that it would start to have a visible thickness. Granted, I had diluted it maybe 25% for each coat, but this was because I really didn't like the consistency out of the jar - just a bit too thick.

How long should it take to decant? Because I haven't varnished a figure in a month but mine shows less than a centimetre's worth of separated carrier on top (I have a large 225ml jar and it's the regular, not the galleria).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:58:46 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
Ah, so that's what my problem is.

<<edited for brevity>> (I have a large 225ml jar and it's the regular, not the galleria).

This might be the problem. The cheaper/student brand Galleria is a flat as a pancake/billiard table/witch's whatnot, but the more expensive "expert" W&N stuff is actually less so.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:43:02 AM »
Hm. Maybe I should just grab some of the Galleria then.

The gloss was very good though! No complaints about that at all. Only needed one coat and it went on very nicely (with a couple of drops of flow improver to prevent bubbling)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »
LINK

I second this product! While The recipe has since changed and the liquid won't separate anymore, the effects are still very good. And it is a strong varnish with adequate protection. I would guess it would be even without a gloss coat before you apply it.

For example, this mattness (that's not a word!) is after varnishing with Daler Rowney:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:38:46 AM by Remington »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
I went through a period of trying any matt spray varnishes I could find, once upon a time. All of them, including W&N, turned out cloudy; except plasti-cote lacquer that came out like a power hose and left a thick, bubbly layer, and humbrol matt cote that worked quite well. Still had one or two problems with that since, though.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »
I would never dare to spray varnish.

ALWAYS brush on for me. Same with my gesso primer.

Yes, it takes longer, but not half so long as repainting a whole figure.