Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: W&N Galeria Matt Varnish Question (aka WNGMVQ)  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
W&N Galeria Matt Varnish Question (aka WNGMVQ)
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »
Hello there.

I've seen quite a few posts here recommending the W&N Galeria Matt Varnish and I decided to give it a try and finally found an online shop selling it in Germany. Now, I'm relatively pleased, although my first try seemed to be producing rather satin matt results. What really bothers me tho is a small amount of white flakes swimming around. Does that mean something about the quality of my varnish? Do I need to do something so as to get them dissolved again?

Thanks for your time.

R.

EDIT: The flakes remain even after shaking. And I am shaking like a young god!  :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:12:07 AM by Remington »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: W&N Galeria Matt Varnish Question (aka WNGMVQ)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
Personally, I have never found any water-based varnish produces a sufficiently matt/flat appearance.

I have used the W&N and did find it the best of all the water-based varnishes I've tried - but not, for me, good enough.  Always a very slight sheen.

This is my current method for varnishing.  LINK

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »
Hi Remington

I've been experimenting with Galleria for a while now, but I've not had any of the problems you describe.

I'm guessing the flakes could be disolved by adding an acryliuc flow improver or something, but I have never used one so that's really just a guess.

Since you bought it from an online store, I would hazard a guess that it hasn't been stored very well, or could be quite an old bottle, hence the defects.

Once or twice when I've used it I've had the same Satin effect, but that is due to layering it on too thickly. A thin coat over the top should sort it out.  I find two or three very thin coats are better anyway.

Hope that's helpful.  :)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »
I have used Galeria Matt Varnish on my figures for some time and feel satisfied that it is a good matt varnish, maybe not the best, but good.

I bought a large plastic tub some time ago and have first shaken it - not too vigorously (as this can produce a huge amount of small bubbles) and then decanted in to a smaller container which I squeeze on to a paper pallete before painting my figures.

I try to apply thin layers (three coats not being unussual).  If I have lots of small bubbles on the miniature a quick use of a hairdrier (just to blow away the bubbles - not to dry the varnish) does help.

Check out the finished figures at;

http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Galeria can sometimes leave a cloudy film if you try to paint a second coat before the first has fully dried, but this ussually goes once dry.

One final hint (and this is for the UK).  The discount stores THE RANGE sells W&N paints and varnishes cheaper than any art shop.

Tony

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »
I've been using it for a while and have found that if you apply the Galleria over a gloss varnish it will dry slightly satin. It is best applied straight onto the figure (it's tough enough not to need a gloss anyway) and leave it to dry overnight.
Pat

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I've written to the shop I got the varnish from and asked them where they think the flakes come from. Let's see what they'll say.

Even though I already have a relatively good varnish (Rustin's), it's a bit messy to use (at least for me, the clumsy oaf) and I am always on the lookout for more alternatives. Therefore Daler Rowney has been ordered thanks to the kind suggestion by orctrader.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »
Therefore Daler Rowney has been ordered thanks to the kind suggestion by orctrader.

Glad to help but, I never actually suggest what varnish other painters use.  I wrote the article because that is what I do.  Along with other painters.  (And it's easier posting the link rather than explaining everything over and over again. ;) )

You will note from the article that I always apply over a strong gloss varnish.  I have never applied straight over acrylic paint - nor would I.

Let us all know how you get on.   :)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »
I will, I will. And I also apply Humbrol gloss before my matt varnish coat.

As for the term "suggestion", I know how your post and link were meant and I will definitely not hold it against you should I not cope with the varnish. ;) Why should I. Yet, thanks again for the suggestion/tip/explanation/statement.   :D

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »
I will, I will. And I also apply Humbrol gloss before my matt varnish coat.

As for the term "suggestion", I know how your post and link were meant and I will definitely not hold it against you should I not cope with the varnish. ;) Why should I. Yet, thanks again for the suggestion/tip/explanation/statement.   :D

You're very welcome.  :)

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
Therefore Daler Rowney has been ordered thanks to the kind suggestion by orctrader.
You will note from the article that I always apply over a strong gloss varnish.  I have never applied straight over acrylic paint - nor would I.

Orctrader, any reason why? I have never used gloss under the Galleria varnish and have not had a problem. It is designed to varnish and protect paintings and they are not gloss varnished first. I can see the need to use a gloss varnish if the matt is a matting agent and not a true varnish. For example Vallejo which as far as I know is just their carrier without any colour added.
I believe one of the problems in achieving a true matt finish is because of the gloss varnish first.
Pat

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »

Orctrader, any reason why? I have never used gloss under the Galleria varnish and have not had a problem. It is designed to varnish and protect paintings and they are not gloss varnished first. I can see the need to use a gloss varnish if the matt is a matting agent and not a true varnish. For example Vallejo which as far as I know is just their carrier without any colour added.
I believe one of the problems in achieving a true matt finish is because of the gloss varnish first.
Pat

In my view - and I know there are different opinions on this - no matt varnish is strong enough to protect an acrylic painted figure.  Humbrol polyurethane "bulletproofs" my figures.  The matt varnishes designed for paintings are designed to be removed so that paintings can be cleaned.  Gloss varnish is designed to be permanent.  Also, I didn't invent  the method, but learnt it from other painters.  It is mentioned, for example, in Kevin Dallimore's Painting Guide.

However, as I stated above, I, nor anyone else should tell other painters how they should varnish.  But for me...well as I write in the article...

I varnish all of my figures not only for protection and appearance, but also as an essential part of the painting process.  My painting would look very different without varnishing as it enhances the appearance of blending, tones down highlights and deepens and enriches shadows.  Indeed, I don’t actually regard varnishing as something done “after painting” but as an integral part of the painting process.

I apply a gloss polyurethane varnish for protection, and a spirit-based matt varnish for appearance...

(And to think, I wrote the article, in part, so that I would not have to write anything else about varnishing.   ;) )

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »

(And to think, I wrote the article, in part, so that I would not have to write anything else about varnishing.   ;) )

Ah, but in writing the article, you established yourself as a 'varnish authority' thereby making it inevitable that you would have to write more about it!  ;)

Personally, I've used both methods, gloss and non-gloss basecoat, and truthfully, it doesn't seem to make much difference, but each to their own...  :)