Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a Central American Church in 15mm for AK47 - Any Ideas?  (Read 6974 times)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Hi All,

I am looking for a village church for my Central American AK47 village.  Does anyone have an ideas?

I'm hoping for something along these lines:

I see that Miniature Building Authority used to offer an Italian church that was similar in style, but that it's now out of production. Everything else I've seen seems to be northern European in style.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Looking for a Central American Church in 15mm for AK47 - Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
Village Green Models in the UK used to do a 20mm church/mission set that woudl be perfect for your needs. I am not sure whether it is still available or not though. :?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
Nothing pops up after a quick look. I think searching for "Spanish colonial church" or similar might be helpful. And in model railway scales too.

Best match was the Italeri 1/72 church:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:54:12 AM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
I have the Italeri church. It's massive and not especially typical of Latin America, even when you replace the weird roof with pantiles. Still a very nice model none the less.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
After a good look round I only found this one by Miniature Building Authority. it is very expensive and out of stock- I say make your own!

http://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15120
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
Wasn't there a pre-painted 15mm Italian/Spanish church made for Flames of War?? Sort of like a co-op with Gale force nine or something?

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Good point brummie

They do ruined Italian monastery.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13339

Offline 84 Sqdrn

• Student
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
Hovels do a Spanish church in their 15mm range that might be suitable?

http://www.hovelsltd.co.uk/spanish_15mm.htm

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:14:34 PM »
There must be a Mexican range somewhere.  An Alamo building, at least.....

http://www.miniatureworldmaker.com.au/products/id-6436/productlist/

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:11:26 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone. It looks like my issue with finding a church is more do the lack of availability rather than poor Google skills.  I tired both Spanish church and mission church in 15mm and HO without really any luck.

The MBA and Village Green churches seem to be out of production (I actually checked them earlier), and though the Italeri kit is nice, I think the style is not quite a match.  The Hovel or MWM churches might work, though I get the impression they might be on the smaller size.

I was also poking around late last night and came across a paper kit for a church in Spain:
http://blogtobarra.blogspot.com/2009/09/recortable-de-la-iglesia-de-la-asuncion.html

Though nicely designed, the texture quality is poor for the table and I'm not sure how strong it would be.  However, I'm thinking it could work as the start of a scratchbuild.

I'll have to do some thinking, but I'll be sure to loop back in on this thread with my final choice in case someone else finds themselves in the same spot.

Thanks again!

Chris

Offline 84 Sqdrn

• Student
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »
There is another option Empress Miniatures make a "Spanish Style Church".

Third item down on this page http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart16.htm

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
There is another option Empress Miniatures make a "Spanish Style Church".

Third item down on this page http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart16.htm

Which is, of course, 28mm!  :o

Offline 84 Sqdrn

• Student
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:03 PM »
Which is, of course, 28mm!  :o

Well, we're not all perfect.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
That Empress one would have been perfect of it was only 15mm. Too bad!

Thanks!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »
I suppose it depends on what level of accuracy you are after. Churches across Latin America come in all shapes and sizes from tin sheds, through simple adobe structures to Baroque masterpieces and even the occasional Gothic style cathedral in larger cities. Then you have the proliferation of the auditorium cum shopping centre style mega churches so popular with the various evangelical sects. You can even find examples of Anglican and Presbyterian churches, that wouldn't look out of place in the UK.

That said if you are looking at the stereotypical style for a small town, then Spanish or Italian churches don't really look the part. The most popular style, like the ones in your photos, is usually described as Baroque. You will see similar churches across the region. More often than not they don't feature a single bell tower but are balanced with two smaller towers. Most of the miniature 'Ítalian style' churches are of a style more common through the late middle ages through to the 15th C.

Almost invariably these churches are stuccoed or plastered and for good reason, they are generally made using simple clay bricks or adobe. Dressed stone is uncommon except for the largest and grander examples. Two reasons, cost and availability of both materials and the necessary artisans. So the dressed or bare stone items in miniature ranges doesn't look right.  I was married in a church of this style and lived in a city crammed with examples, in fact the legend is that there's a church for every day of the year.  Ok, in truth there's nowhere near that many examples but of the 100 or more that do exist, I can only think of three examples in dressed stone and these are incredibly opulent examples in what used to be the capital of the country. Actually, the most famous, the Church and Convent of São Francisco, which internally is covered in gold leaf has a series of beautiful stone carvings on its exterior, that were executed by black artisans. These offended the church authorities and were covered over in plaster and were only been rediscovered and uncovered last century.

The church I was married in, Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Rosário dos Pretos, is a far simpler but none the less beautiful and also quite famous structure that dates to the early 18th C. It was the first church in Brazil built by freed slaves. This is a fine example of baroque style. I have had the chance to examine the structure and like most of the buildings that surround it it's largely built using flattish compressed clay bricks. Plaster serves to hide the structure.

I have long looked for suitable items myself in 28mm. They don't exist in any scale, unless you count the crude plaster examples you can get in gift shops. My advice would be to build your own. If you go for a simple example like the one in your third photo it should be a simple enough build.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:34:20 PM by carlos marighela »