Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Still Hopelessly Undecided, Help!  (Read 2219 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Still Hopelessly Undecided, Help!
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
Craig etal,
                The game looks great, and I love the whole background, fiction but not too far removed from a "What If".  I am however totally undecided as to what direction to go with figure purchases.  I have  large collection of Black Scorpion Cowboys which I enjoy playing with.  Part of me would love to expand that collection into an American version of IHMN.  On the other hand, I am a die hard Anglophile, my oldest and youngest daughters are Elizabeth and Victoria!  I have also always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes.
                 When I get into a new game, I tend to jump in with both feet.  I will buy vehicles, figures etc, far more than I really need.  I look to you all for guidance and suggestions.

Nick

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Still Hopelessly Undecided, Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
I'm the same way. I already have three Companies for IHMN that are exclusive of the 8 or so factions I put together for Empire of the Dead.
I can only suggest you seriously consider moving you and your lovelies out to California, posthaste. lol

Edit: Seriously though, for Americans you might want to look at the Dystopian Legions figures. They are bigger than most stuff but could work well with the Black Scorpion:
http://www.spartangames.co.uk/products/dystopian-legions/federated-states-of-america/fsa-intelligence

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »
I thought Dystopian Legions were closer to 40mm?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
Nick,

Heroes, Villains and Fiends may well be right up your street. :D

In the New World section there are The Texas Rangers, four Western Outlaw gangs, The League of Southern Gentlemen, The Secret Service (as in Wild, Wild West), The Apache (which includes other tribes), The Industrialists (Railway Barons and the like), Mexican Federales and Mexican Rebels (think Zorro), the Red Sect (Cajun Voudou), and last but by no means least U-Troop of the North-West Mounted Police eh.

That should keep you busy for a day or two I think...
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
You are pretty well convincing me. I suppose Sherlock could always be called in to consult on a case in New York or Philadelphia.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:56:25 AM »
According to the current TV series Elementary he already if  :D

If you want to use Scotland Yard in an American context just rename it NYPD and the jobs done.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »
According to the current TV series Elementary he already if  :D

If you want to use Scotland Yard in an American context just rename it NYPD and the jobs done.

True, but I think the cowboys would look more out of place than Sherlock.  lol

I really think you should have more than a single company, and the rules work best for me with relatively small numbers of figures. A lot I'd want to run in G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., especially the Battles By we tend to have, would make a half dozen or so in IHMN to my tastes.

On the other hand, American Wild West lit is filled with Brits coming to experience the West for various reasons.

Mr. Holmes circled the globe in the period after the affair of the Reichenbach Falls. I don't remember specific references, but no reason he wouldn't show up if a mystery-to-his-tastes called him there. Actually, I can easily see him in disguise on San Francisco's Barbary Coast.

Doug

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »
Doug,
          I like the way you think. :)
          Believe me, I have figures to make up several different IHMN companies, Apaches, Mexicans, Outlaws, Lawmen etc.  What I would add would be figures that would fit in an East Coast "Big City" setting, Police, Anarchists etc.

Nick

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
Doug,
          I like the way you think. :)

Strangely enough, I have been on a bit of a roll, of late.

Believe me, I have figures to make up several different IHMN companies, Apaches, Mexicans, Outlaws, Lawmen etc.  What I would add would be figures that would fit in an East Coast "Big City" setting, Police, Anarchists etc.

Exactly what I said in my first line; I'd have to say, it's less that you like the way I think, and more you like the way WE think. Bit scary, that...

Doug

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
Doug,
          Damn I really wish there were at least a couple IHMN players close enough to game with!  My plan at present, is to order some "City Folk" from Ironclad to use as Metro Police, detectives etc., I think that American Police even in "Bobby" dress, would have firearms.
          I'm working on Black Scorpion Apaches at present, and decided to add a "White Buffalo" to the group as the source of their mystical power.

Nick

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
Nick,

Actually, I'm a spaceship gamer at heart. Never so happy as when I see fleets burning noiselessly in the aether.  :D

My best friend is a VSF fanatic, and does most of the heavy lifting, so you'd still have to do all the work if I were near.

Really, I think the lads like having me around purely for comic relief.

Doug