Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: It started with a stock clearance in Staples - now with figures  (Read 1606 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
It started with a stock clearance in Staples - now with figures
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
A while ago, Staples (a stationary chain in the UK) decided to close down the branch in Grimsby and started to sell of a lot of the stock at silly prices and not one to refuse a bargain I just had to walk around and see what I could find  :D

I had previously bought a set of drawers from Ikea with the idea of storing boards in and even bought some 30cm square MDF boads to make up but ended up storing away untouched  :'(

Tucked away at the back of Staples was a pair of notice boards (dry wipe) framed in cheap pine and a quick check showed that they would fit in the drawers - little did I think to check the rail mounts as the screws protruded into the drawer and stopped me storing in them in the end >:(

The first board I have completed is a grassy flat plain - multiple lots of static grass, clumps of coloured sawdust and bits I found in the cupboard gives me an area of 36cm x 56cm - just right for 2mm / 6mm and even 15mm skirmish  :)  Before you ask - I have no idea of the final mix of grasses, some are old Noch, GW, Woodland Scenics and unmarked packs.  All where laid down on wood glue (better than the PVA locally) and then coated with WS scenic cement three or four times.

Close up of the grass texture:

The board with frame:

Sorry for the flash on the board edge and middle right of the grass but the battery has died on the compact and I do not want to dig the SLR out!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:22:29 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: It started with a stock clearance in Staples
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Nice one, it looks very lush. Care to give some action shots with miniatures on it?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
Wow, great find!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
As requested a few (unfinished) figures:

Splintered Light Mice http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/mice.html - needing a matt spray

Rebel Mini Monkey Boys http://www.rebelminis.com/15mmmonkeyboys.html - also needing a matt spray

4 Ground New England Small Building http://www.4ground.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=268&pid=449 - done but may get a spray as black comes off

Ironclad fences http://ironcladminiatures.co.uk/shop/category_17/Fences.html - needing flock on the bottom (and a spray)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: It started with a stock clearance in Staples - now with figures
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »
That came out really well Andrew!

I have to say that your laser-cut building purchase from Partizan (4Ground wasn't it?) is looking rather splendid.  How was the assembly in the end?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: It started with a stock clearance in Staples - now with figures
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »
Nice one (thanks). Now we expect more AARs with that board.