Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686496
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any suggestions for SCW Rules? Thinking 10mm...  (Read 2057 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Any suggestions for SCW Rules? Thinking 10mm...
« on: September 25, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
Is anyone able to recommend any Spanish Civil War rules? I'm thinking on next year's project (ahem) and am looking at SCW in 10mm, so probably battle rather than skirmish rules.

I have T&T and the SCW supplement, which I'd use for 28s (and I have a foolhardy idea about doing some sort of two-tiered project with battles in 10mm, and then particular sections such as the Madrid University in 28mm), so for now I'm after rules suitable to 10mm battalion-brigade level-ish, something like that anyway...

I know of Bayonet & Ideology from Peter Pig, they are an option but I've read some reviews which suggest they don't quite grab the period feel? Is that right?

Any suggestions as to rules would be most welcome!
Cheers
Rob

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Any suggestions for SCW Rules? Thinking 10mm...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
'Triumph of the Will' by Two Fat Lardies springs to mind and I've also toyed with converting 'If The Lord Spares Us' from them too.

Any large scale WW1 or 2 rules should suffice to be honest though. The 'politics' of the SCW did not have that much impact on the actual battles themselves and what is really needed is a set of rules which will reflect the wide-variability of training and experience across the whole of any given army, particularly in the first year or so.

When you get to the latter stages of the war, you have two armies which were more experienced and in many ways more tactically capable than the British and French Armies of 1940.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
How about Blitzkrieg Commander? 
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:20 PM »
Thanks, hadn't thought of either of those! It's one of those periods I've been reading about and researching forever, but never got so far as picking a scale and rules to start of with. Will have a look at both.

If I understand right Triumph of the Will uses a number of figures to represent a company - I'm guessing in 28mm, so I figure I could substitute 1 figure for 1 10mm base there and use them like that? (So, roll a D6 for a group of five bases rather than 5 figures? Probably easiest to just buy the rules and have a look!)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:18:58 AM »
That is pretty much true of any set of rules that uses a representational scale of 'one figure equals x men'. The figure is merely a token and can be replaced by several figures on a base, or even just the base itself with no figures on it. Personally I actually think several 10mm figures on a base would look far more realistic than a single 28mm figure on one at that sort of representational scale anyway.

I am not too familiar with TotW to be honest, I just know that they cover the SCW and are liked, rather than raved about. Hopefully someone else can give you a summary of their strengths and weaknesses. I do know that it uses a flexible unit size in figures to represent the 'motivation' of a unit, rather than unit size in actual men, so is not exactly a visual representation of unit size. If I was looking to do 'battles' rather than skirmishes (company size and below), they would be the first ones I would look at though.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »
A World in Flames from Osprey is another choice. I haven't tried yet, but looks like the figure count is high which is ideal for 10mm.

Christopher