Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:07:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SciFi Skirmish AAR  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
SciFi Skirmish AAR
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »
Using Pulp Alley Rules, an encounter at the Spaceport, on my blog..
http://govgensectorsix.blogspot.com/

Comments and Crit welcome!

Will

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: SciFi Skirmish AAR
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Wow! just wow! Your terrain is awesome! I really liked your report.
Thanks for passing it on.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
Nice!  Great terrain too. :)

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
Thanks,

I haven't posted over here very often, sort of a lurker.  I'll work on changing that.

Will

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »
Fantastic scenery!  And so consistently good across various different types of terrain too.

My favourite is this I think:

I love those hydroponic/greenhouse pieces.  Very effective.

I haven't posted over here very often, sort of a lurker.  I'll work on changing that.

With quality stuff like this I hope so :)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
A couple of lovely tables you have there!

How did you find Pulp Alley for SF gaming?

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
Thanks,

I really like building set piece, unified tables.  There are a couple of sets I haven't used yet, and a couple in process, so there will be new things to look at for awhile.

As far as Pulp Alley as a SciFi game, I would say the rules are fairly setting independent.  The more interesting difference/adjustment is about the fact that Pulp Alley is an "narrative adventure" game versus my background with "battle" games.

Two things about it really:
1. There is more background to build to run a scenario.  If you want to track a band of heroes across a series of games, this fits the bill very well
2. Combat in PA serves a different purpose than in a "battle" game (40K, Tomorrow's War, Chess). Unlike a battle game where combat eliminates units, in PA your enemies are seldom knocked out of the fight, combat really functions as a preventative action. Think of how Han Solo/Indiana Jones almost never goes down in combat, but is stalled, blocked, or diverted from the objective.  The Casbah scene from the original Raiders movie or escaping from the Death Star are good examples of what I mean.
Don't get me wrong, combat in PA is exciting with lots of dice thrown and plenty of twists and turns. I like it, but the rules design emphasizes that there are sometimes much better ways to win a game. Your team better be diverse rather than a squad of Infantry.  Dr. Quest, Race Bannon, Jonny, Hadji and Bandit will usually beat 3rd Squad/2nd Platoon.

Will

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Very cool and nice blog.
I love your terrain. There are a lot of great ideas there, to steal!
 :-*
Pulp Alley has a lot of uses outside of the Pulp theme.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
Fantastic terrain, Guiscard! Your creativity is inspiring.  :-*

In our Perilous Island campaign, the "Final Flight" scenario is more like a social scenario. Each side races to complete their invesigation/objectives and fighting can actually hamper your efforts. It's fun to have a scenario like this once in awhile, but a little bit a gunfire is always to be expected.  lol lol

Momotaro --  If you'd like to check out the Pulp Alley mechanics for yourself, a free version is available to download off of Wargame Vault. It's not the full game, but it is enough to get started. Please let us know if you have any questions --- http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5628

HAVE FUN

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
Momotaro --  If you'd like to check out the Pulp Alley mechanics for yourself, a free version is available to download off of Wargame Vault.

Thanks, I've already bought my copy, and another of the local gamers has it too (Gibby here on LAF).  

It looks splendid, and we both love that it's about characters and story rather than hardware.  It's just taking that leap of faith to spend one of our somewhat irregular gaming meets on the game...  I feel that Major Guiscard's posts may have pushed us one step closer :)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:43:47 AM »
Thanks, I've already bought my copy, and another of the local gamers has it too (Gibby here on LAF).  

It looks splendid, and we both love that it's about characters and story rather than hardware.  It's just taking that leap of faith to spend one of our somewhat irregular gaming meets on the game...  I feel that Major Guiscard's posts may have pushed us one step closer :)

Cool, two suggestions for a high sci-fi or fantasy settings. First, the Perilous Island expansion includes lots of new abilities that are great for a sci-fi and fantasy leagues. Second, I always suggest adding one extra ability to all characters in a sci-fi/fantasy campaign to represent hi-tech equipment, mutations, and magic.

Anpu has shared alot of league rosters for his Fallout campaign, worth checking out -- http://pulpalley.com/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=906f31d5299fad3f5f4828846d9376c9

HAVE FUN

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
What a great collection of figures and great terrain!   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
All I know is, somewhere, some rodent is going without exercise!  lol

Doug

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
Cool, two suggestions for a high sci-fi or fantasy settings. First, the Perilous Island expansion includes lots of new abilities that are great for a sci-fi and fantasy leagues. Second, I always suggest adding one extra ability to all characters in a sci-fi/fantasy campaign to represent hi-tech equipment, mutations, and magic.

Thanks for that - sounds useful.

Should I even bother resisting Perilous Island? :D

Interesting to hear how many people on these boards are using other rulesets like Pulp Alley and 7TV for sci-fi and 40k.