Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Searching for Spec-Ops Plastics  (Read 2726 times)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Searching for Spec-Ops Plastics
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:13 AM »
The new "High Rise To Hell" supplement for "All Things Zombie" introduces some new NPC characters.  They are Pro-Corp security guards that follow the mold of black ops, private security troops.  Think the Umbrella Corps from Resident Evil.  Yes, I know there are plenty of metal figures out there.  I even have some Wargames Foundry SWAT that would work, but I'm trying to go plastic as much as I can these days.  I searched through what I have on hand and here's what I came up with:

For out of the box, I have some Halo Actionclix ODST and UNSC Marines.  The plastic is a little soft so details and weapons come off a little soft and cartoony.  I also have some Mantic Corporation Marines, although the mantic marines would need a weapons swap.

I also have some old AT-43 troopers, although like the halo figures their weapons are a little large and cartoony.

Last up I played with some Eisenkern troopers from DreamForge Games.  They are great models but with their full body armor they are a little too sci-fi.  I have one out of the box and I used some blue tac to mock up a few conversions.

I have some more detailed pros and cons on my blog:
http://thecolorblindmodelpainter.blogspot.com/2013/10/search-for-post-apocalyptic-private.html

So do you think any of the above models fit the bill?  Any suggestions in plastic that I didn't think of?  Thanks!

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
Re: Searching for Spec-Ops Plastics
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
maybe the Defiance Games marines ?

they are plastic

http://defiancegames.com/index.php/shop#ecwid:category=1831024&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

I think Hfree modern troopers are the best of all but they are metal  ::)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »
I've got a box of the Defiance Marines and they aren't very good.  They are well cast, but the sculpting is below par, closer to something you would have seen ten or fifteen years ago.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
The new pupptes war troopers ought to fit the bill perfectly.
I think they're resin but there you go:

May I ask why you prefer them to be plastic?

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
The new pupptes war troopers ought to fit the bill perfectly.
I think they're resin but there you go:

Mmmm, now those are good looking and resin's fine, but I am a little gun shy with Puppet Wars.  I bought some of their "not necron" robots a couple of years back and the casting was very hit and miss.  Some items were perfect while others has lots of bubbles and two had nasty mold offsets.  I'd need to check around to see if their quality has improved since then.

May I ask why you prefer them to be plastic?

You could chalk some of it up to my own internal neurosis, but I am running up against some practical considerations that make plastic more preferable to metal.  First is durability of paint.  I usually put at least an hour or more into painting a figure and I get a little obsessive about keeping it looking good.  For metal, if the figures bang around too much, even from normal play, the paint can easily come off from chipping or wear.  With plastic on the other hand, even an accidental trip from the table to the floor doesn't seem to harm paint jobs.

I also have a storage problem.  My wife is kind enough to let my hobby fill up a 6' x 8' storage room in our house, but that's the limit.  This summer I passed the 300 mark on painted figures, with maybe half being metal.  To keep the paint jobs in good shape, metal figures require foam, which is pretty space inefficient.  With more durable plastic, I can just rank them up in a sliding drawer with no worries.  By way of comparison, my 50 plus Dust Allies figures take up one 14" square drawer, where my old Necrons take up almost four times that amount of space in foam trays.

If I find a good looking figure in metal I'll still pick it up, but nowadays that's the exception not the rule for me.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:57 AM »
I've got a squad of those PuppetWars infantry on the way. I'll let you know the quality once I get my hands on 'em.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »
Super.  Thank you very much!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
Super.  Thank you very much!

I've had the helmets from them. Very very clean casts on issues at all. Used them on some star wars plastics to good effect.

Bloody additional options always attaches them upside down!!!  lol
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:28:49 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »
On those Puppets war figures, are the guns separate to the hands?
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »
Not sure Leon.  ???

Another spec ops option:

Anvil Industries:

Pig Iron:

System troopers: sniper team: