Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 766
Total: 770

Recent

Author Topic: Weird Great War  (Read 9093 times)

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Re: Weird Great War
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
Also on the tosh front there was the vanishing Sandringham Company in the Dardanelles. Wild tales of a strange cloud of mist swallowing them up circulated at the time.

Or perhaps the cloud deposited them in another time or dimension?

Sandringham company vs. 9th Legion vs. Demons from another dimension. How awesome could it get?
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:06:37 PM »
The Kim Newman book was called "Bloody Red Baron", sequel to Anno Dracula where Vlad escaped Van Helsing and married  Queen Victoria. All the nobilty became Vampire (it was the fashion).
Most Yanks wore the same style helmet as the British, except the African American troops who were armed and equipped like the French.
-J

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »
Most Yanks wore the same style helmet as the British, except the African American troops who were armed and equipped like the French.

Well I did say "some Yanks." I wasn't trying to say they all did, rather listing nations that have worn the Adrian, and they certainly count.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »

Well I did say "some Yanks." I wasn't trying to say they all did, rather listing nations that have worn the Adrian, and they certainly count.  :)

One is better off counting th e countries which did not wear the casque Adrian. Swedes wore a romantic but highly impractical tricorn during WW1.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 08:13:07 PM »
Another source of inspiration for those looking for Weird WW1 material would be Kurt Busiek's graphic novel ARROWSMITH (illustrated by Carlos Pacheco), which sets the Great War in an alternate universe fueled by magic rather than science. A cracking good read!

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Their-Fine-Uniforms-Arrowsmith/dp/1401202993/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211310649&sr=8-5

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »
Yesssss. I've based a whole world on the map from the issue.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 09:37:47 PM »
At least one post-war German Freikorps wore Adrians, because nothing better was available to them. It wasn't much appreciated by their fellow countrymen, being French helmets and all that.

A great movie is Deathwatch by Michael J. Bassett, 2002. Great guy too: I reviewed the movie on TMP at the time, and he replied himself on the forum.  :)

My own weird WW1 stuff is here:
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Area23/galleries.html, in the German Revolution gallery (direct link isn't possible at the moment I'm writing this, site doesn't load)

GW's LotR Black Orcs have a very strong WW1 feel, and could be used as trench demons.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »
Been considering this topic for some time myself, so it's good to see that there's others out there.

Of course, the funding remains a problem for this project, especially with all these great ideas from this thread. Although, I'm going more of a dieselpunk way than horror/magic. Walkers are walkers, whether they're fueled by steam or diesel :D

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 01:06:39 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm not too interested in the WWII stuff, so it's great to see how I can get some weirdness into my Great War action.

Saving Private Townsend might be a fun scenario, I'll have to look into that, as well as RFC vs Giant Bats. 

Plenty of room for rivetted technology, too.  I'll have to look at Phoenikuz' dieselpunk ideas.  Walkers might be the solution to the trenches.  Hmm, should be lots of ideas for the era between VSF and WWWII - internal combustion engines, lots of rivets, frequent mechanical failures, what's not to love!

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 01:22:38 AM »
The great thing about WWI zombies and other creepies is that they work for the next war as well.

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
Some of the ideas in the Arrowsmith comics are really good ones. I liked to read the novel, but for gaming I should let dragons, magic and fairies out and keep the zombies, nerve gas, and strange creatures part. The fire troll assaulting the french trench in the beginning was awesome. And if you maintain airplanes, why not send some gremlin squads to put them down??

Also, remember that Lovecraft's reanimator served in the war... Imagine the possibilities of reanimated corpses in the trench system!

And, as always, the level of blood and slaughter can attract some of the elder gods to this plane of existence...  ;D

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »
I think the Ottomans would send up winged fezzed monkeys  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »
"Saving Private Townsend" sounds brilliant - I'll have to look into that..
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline Dwaine

• Schoolboy
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadaververwertungsanstalt

Can it get more pulpy than Hun soldiers, serving their fatherland even after death?
Throw in a mad scientist and there ya go, I'd say  ;)

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
Zombies in pickelhaubes?

Lovely. Where do I sign up??  ;)