Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Scandinavia  (Read 34666 times)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Medieval Scandinavia
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
`baut time for some new Scandinavians...

Ever since I saw the miniatures from Fireforge Miniatures painted up as Danish Knight I knew I wanted a unit of those, they looked that good. :)

I finally got a small unit of my own.  :)

More pictures can be found at: http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2014/03/danish-sergeants-heavy-cavalry.html

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
I never did thank you Druzina, thanks.

After that last unit of crusaders I did, I felt the urge to get more westerners. So why not restart my Medieval Scandinavia project again.  :D

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2014/10/medieval-scandinavian-warriors.html

The miniatures are Fireforge Games Sergeants as a base with different bits from plastic Gripping Beast kits.

Now I just need to get some archers, maybe search Ebay for those old plastic Bretonnian archers as a base for conversions?

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
Very nice builds, good to see your Swedish project progress !

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:54 AM »
A small unboxing of Fireforge Sergeants at arms box for those interested.

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2014/10/unboxing-fireforge-games-sergeants-at.html

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:31:13 AM by Engel »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
From a quick glance at the frames, these seem to be a selection of components from various existing sets, remoulded onto sprues in a different combination, and repackaged together with a new name in a shiny new box.

I haven't seen them in the flesh so I can't be sure, but I'd be interested to know if there are any new and original elements in here - and if so, what proportion of the contents they form... I suspect very little if any.

Sorry if my assessment is wrong and I'm being unfair.
But if I'm right and this is just (or for the most part) a repackaging of pre-existing components from other sets, then I would say that's a bit cynical...

I hope I'm wrong (but looking at the pics, I don't think I am... )

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 04:52:46 AM »
I think you are right on that assessment.
It sure looks like they took parts they allready had and put them all in one package.

A little "boring" but I can see why you whould do so.
And if you whant sergeants on horses with crossbows or spears, now you dont have to get them from the infantry boxes.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 08:27:03 AM »
A little "boring" but I can see why you whould do so.
And if you whant sergeants on horses with crossbows or spears, now you dont have to get them from the infantry boxes.

Hmmm. I suppose...
Just seems like a lazy marketing ploy to me... Take bits from all your existing sets, put them together in a new box, call them something else, and sell it as a 'new' set...
As I already have the Templar Knights and Templar infantry boxes, I don't think there are any parts in the Sergeants at Arms box that I don't already have?  ::)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »
I can only agree.
I wanted Sergeants with spears so I thought I could get this box instead of the other.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
The box set may be useful for those not wanting to buy two boxes, and then mixing and matching - as long as people enter this with their eyes open.

So it's good to have been highlighted here  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
The box set may be useful for those not wanting to buy two boxes, and then mixing and matching - as long as people enter this with their eyes open.

Agreed.

Think it might have been better if FF had fessed up and said 'look, we've repackaged some of our components so if you want mounted troops with crossbows, spears and caparisoned horses, you don't have to buy two boxes to achieve that'.

Instead, their ads in the wargames press make it look like this is a totally new product - which is a tad disingenuous (:D) to say the least.

If I'd bought this box on the strength of the ad, I'd have been pretty cross to find it contains a whole lot of parts I've already got.
Not really the way to do it...

Still, as you say, for those going in with eyes open, fair enough.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
Agreed, let's hope it was just someone getting a bit carried away on marketing spin ;)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:03 AM »
Hmmm. I suppose...
Just seems like a lazy marketing ploy to me... Take bits from all your existing sets, put them together in a new box, call them something else, and sell it as a 'new' set...
As I already have the Templar Knights and Templar infantry boxes, I don't think there are any parts in the Sergeants at Arms box that I don't already have?  ::)

At least on their website they say exactly this.  Don't know where else or how else they advertised, but on their website they are crystal clear about what is in the box and why.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »
At least on their website they say exactly this.  Don't know where else or how else they advertised, but on their website they are crystal clear about what is in the box and why.

Crystal clear? Not on the product page for this set they're not. Maybe somewhere else?  ???
And not in their ads in wargaming magazines.
If someone labels something 'NEW!!' then you think you're getting something you haven't seen before. Unlike this set.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »
One of my current projects is building an Medieval Scandinavian army and I felt that I needed a way of restricting or guide me into what units I should get for this project. As Hail Caesar is my game of choice when it comes to historical games because of its simplicity to adapt it to all kinds of armies, eras and games, I have made an army list meant to represent an Medieval Scandinavian army.
So there you got the background, I've made this army list to help me choose what units I needed to start collect and paint.

The armylist is inspired from the army list found in "Hail Caesar Army lists II - Late antiquity to early medieval" from Warlord Games that I highly recommend.
I tried to use the same tone of words and unit compositions found there but giving it its own twist or flavour. I have looked mainly at the Feudal Scots, Early Russian and the Feudal German list for inspirations as I find these the most logical to start from. Im no expert in this subject and I am more then welcome ideas on how to adopt or change the list. See this list more as a starting list more then a finished product, a work in progress.
Hopefully I haven't made the list too good or too bad but in balance with the other lists.

This list are mainly meant to represent Denmark, Sweden and Norway. I know the army compositions of these varied but also over time and I tried to have options incorporated in the list to alter these as you see fitting for a certain battle or year.
The term Knight in this list is meant to represent nobles actually knighted and men not knighted but thought in same manners, this is for simplicity.
The term  Mercenary could represent the numerous German troops that thought in Scandinavia from time to time or troops recruited locally or from neighbouring Scandinavian countries.

I didnt manage to post it directly hear as the lines got all mashed together so Im afraid you will have to follow this link.

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2014/10/medieval-scandinavia-hail-caesar-army.html

Please do check it out and tell me your opinion if there are anything you think I should alter.

Thanks.