Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm 'God of Battles' fantasy wargaming project (Army Shots on PG. 6!)  (Read 21630 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 15mm 'God of Battles' fantasy wargaming project
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
Great! I will aim at something similar.

I tried playing a bit with the army list and found that 36 point are quickly spent and does not leave a lot of room for the "fun extras".
Remember though it's 36 points from the mainforce list plus 36 points from the command and support list. So for example the Blood Gorged army I used yesterday was this:
1 unit of Brute Ravagers - 12pts
3 units of Brutes - @6pts each = 18pts
2 units of Younglings - @3 pts each = 6 pts

1 Board Chariot - 7pts
2 Herdlords - @12pts each = 24pts
Gurash's Claw - 3pts
Beastligs - 2 pts

Which is quite a sizeable army, 56 infantry, 1 chariot, and 2 Heroes.

The game went well, and I almost had Torben and just needed to have killed two models to have won (and then of course not lost a unit of Brutes in a rear charge charge :-[ ). We're now beginning to understand the relative merits of units and especially miracles. Also this game I dropped having a priest and we saw that you don't need one to defend against nasty Necromantic miracles/magic in the same way you need to have a magic user in a certain other well known fantasy game in order to have any sort of defence. A very close game that I think was won by Torben through his clever use of a strategem.
Duncan

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »
Ahhh that is a very important difference. I just did 36 point total and that hardly leaves room for anything.

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
Even with 36 points for Main Force units and 36 points for Command & Support units I still feel that I really can't have it all! :D

But yes, it was a good game last night - not because I won, but because it really felt like a pitched battle. I was sure that I had lost when my Knights and Chariots were all but destroyed on my left flank, but a miraculous defence roll that left 1(!) Skeleton Warrior standing after a very heavy combat which saw the dispersal and destruction of two Blood Gorged units... Well, it hang on the balance and could really have gone either way!

A great game and I'm already looking forward to the next game!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
Great! I will aim at something similar.

I tried playing a bit with the army list and found that 36 point are quickly spent and does not leave a lot of room for the "fun extras".

Worth looking at the support and specials, often you can use the 36 points allocated for that e.g. bodyguard etc

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Yes i completely missed that small detail that you are allowed to spend 36 point on both!

I quess reading the whole rule book helps..

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
I can really see the many pros of this kind of gaming.

I can only lament the fact that Mark Copplestone does not do his not-LotR range in 15 mm instead of 10 mm, as that may have swayed me into building up a force to use with some of the various rulesets useable for this heretical scale...  ::)

I hope you and Duncan will bring the rules and your painted armies when I do my first Attic Attack, I am about ready to try out playing a game of this GOB.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »

I can only lament the fact that Mark Copplestone does not do his not-LotR range in 15 mm instead of 10 mm, as that may have swayed me into building up a force to use with some of the various rulesets useable for this heretical scale...  ::)

I hope you and Duncan will bring the rules and your painted armies when I do my first Attic Attack, I am about ready to try out playing a game of this GOB.  :)

Splintered light may be an option worth looking at for 15mm :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

Glad to see you active again Neils! I'll gladly come along with GoB. Do you have many Copplestone 10's? If not then have a look at the Demonworld minis from Ral Partha. If I'm not mistaken sculpted by Werner Klocke and as such are comparable in quality to Copplestone's minis.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
Glad to see you active again Neils! I'll gladly come along with GoB. Do you have many Copplestone 10's? If not then have a look at the Demonworld minis from Ral Partha. If I'm not mistaken sculpted by Werner Klocke and as such are comparable in quality to Copplestone's minis.

Nope, the only 10mm figs I have is an - unpainted and unbased - chaos army for Warmaster. Somewhere. But I've had my eyes on that Copplestone range for ages  :D

How many figs does one need for a battle? I might be tempted to get some of Copplestone's other 15mm stuff, if I end up wanting to collect my own army (for various purposes).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Nope, the only 10mm figs I have is an - unpainted and unbased - chaos army for Warmaster. Somewhere. But I've had my eyes on that Copplestone range for ages  :D

How many figs does one need for a battle? I might be tempted to get some of Copplestone's other 15mm stuff, if I end up wanting to collect my own army (for various purposes).

Best read through is the rule writers site, gives you some great info, and ideas on armies etc. Dont discount mercenaries either would let you add on as you fancy too to other armies :D

http://quirkworthy.com/god-of-battles/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
We're slowly building up some guidelines for GOB15. What we do know works best is as follows:
  • Models should be mounted on a 18mm washer (or 20mm roughly)
  • Mounted Models should be mounted on a 30mm washer (or equivelant)
  • All ranges should be halved

I have also switched from 20 mm to 18 mm washers as the latter are readily available from Silvan (and from 25 mm to 24 mm for the same reason)  lol

I take it, you are actually at least 4 Danes painting armies now, than? Have the 'new' guys found our sub-forum (Danish Lead Adventurers' Club)?

Incidently I'm in need of Undead Sutlers and Camp Followers in 15mm ;)

You need scavenging zombies, grave robbers, and the likes  ;D

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
I have heard rumors of a Danish sub forum and a certain crazy Viking doctor was supposed to add me. But so far nothing has happened.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
Late to this thread. Very inspiring for the game in a scale I had not considered before. Fantastically painted minis and lots of excellent ideas. Thanks for a great post.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »
Now my minis have arrived and i have started to build my army. Some more question arise.

When a unit is 8 strong that is including standard bearer and unit leader right?

Unit upgrades, hov manny can I buy? As manny as I want, or just one? Could I for instance buy 5 shield bearers to give me a unit with +5 defense?

I am not trying to meta powergame I am just trying to fit my minis into some sort of an army.

Oh an Torben I intend to use goblins as war orks initially to quickly give me a playable army. I hope you can live with that. Once I have an decent size army and I find orks that I like they will of course be demoted to goblin rabble again.