Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Mantic Mars Attacks! Funded in 13 minutes!  (Read 71786 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Mantic Mars Attacks! KS Funded in 13 minutes!
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I got in in this as soon as it went up, just to grab an early bird slot while I made up my mind.  

I like the IP and I like the game designer and I like the value that Mantic provide both with their regular stuff and in particular their Kickstarter hauls.  The only thing putting me off is that I already have way too much stuff as it is and I need to at least try to start acting like a grown up about some of these purchases.

Thought of yet another new manufacturing material gives me the creeps, but I am pretty sure that it wont be worse than "restic".  Seeing as I have been able to get a fair bit of restic cleaned, prepped and painted over the last couple of years, Im not really that worried about a new material.

The clincher regarding Mars Attacks for me is that there are plans to include the Martians as a faction in Deadzone and to make a Martian DreadBall team.  Both of those things make me happy.

I am also not quite sold on the mantic in house rules writer.  I want to know how this is different from deadzone and if it isnt why its the right way to go and not just recycling a ruleset with different minis.

Thats definitely a concern of mine.  I mentioned that concern in a post on the designers (Jake Thornton) blog and he responded as follows:

"I find it very different from DZ as that encourages me to think carefully about each and every individual model, carefully positioning him for maximum effect and nursing them past dangerous spots as they advance. Human and Martian troopers are way more expendable than DZ models, and have a habit of dying very quickly. It’s a very different mental approach, and suits the background. Only the heroes (of both sides) have any real staying power. And even they can get messed up if they get on the wrong end of a heat ray or artillery strike (or falling car)."

Thats far from all the information required to make the decision whether to back if you already have Deadzone obviously, but it gives an idea at least.  Mars Attacks is about wholesale carnage while Deadzone is A Team/Spec Ops, individual-centric stuff.

This is the Quirkworthy post with the DZ vs MA gameplay comments.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:19:46 PM by cheetor »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
The only thing putting me off is that I already have way too much stuff as it is and I need to at least try to start acting like a grown up about some of these purchases.

I love everything about this project, except for one thing.  My better half has an infinite amount of patience, never tells me how to spend my money and indulges me when I feel I've gone too far.  But even her eyebrows are raised more and more when the postman rings.  I've gotten into way too many project, I have more than enough stuff to paint for quite a few years. So aside from rounding out any collections that I planned already, I just cant take on any new projects!

That said, I cant wait to drool over all the wonderful things the talent on this site will do with this game!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
Anyone got 'good' pictures of the Flying Frog martians?  At least the Mantic pictures are clear and you know what you are getting...  Just fancy a look, maybe a pre-paint......

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
Anyone got 'good' pictures of the Flying Frog martians?  At least the Mantic pictures are clear and you know what you are getting...  Just fancy a look, maybe a pre-paint......

Here's the best one I've seen of the unpainted figures:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/822068/invasion-from-outer-space-the-martian-game

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2013, 06:05:01 PM »
Thanks for the link, helpful

Offline Aeneades

• Bookworm
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
New teaser-

New backer based stretch goals -

When we get 1750 Backers, we will produce a set of Burning Cattle miniatures (a 3D upgrade to the cardboard counter in the box that you can add to your pledge to use during your games! When the Barbecue on the Hoof card gets played, these models will stampede across the board, injuring – perhaps killing – anything in their path!

Every 500 backers after that, we’ll produce something new, wacky and cool – completely Mars Attacks – that you can use in your games.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:13:33 PM by Aeneades »
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 33

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
Weird, I only mentioned them in passing and they appear.  lol

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
A new "Fan Page" for the Game, like it - share it - spread the word. The more people who are aware, the more pledges we get, and the more stuff Mantic Will Make!

https://www.facebook.com/marsattacksgamefans

Heres a "scaling shot" of one of the test Miniatures -

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
3 saucers for $50 (when we hit 250K)

This just got REALLY interesting!!!  

Though I hope they are BIT bigger than the Griffin Miniatures ones.  And at least they come with the domes, my major complaint against the other ones.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:47:20 PM by Booboo »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
That's where my credit I'll be going then.  :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
That's where my credit I'll be going then.  :D

Probably mine as well.  Well see what else they deliver in the next month, we haven't seen the giant robot yet!  I hope they don't; focus TOO much on the human side as we can get tanks from plenty of places.   

I know they are more War of the Worlds and less Martian attacks (Cards), but by any chance did walkers or drilling machines make the comics?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »

;D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
Well see what else they deliver in the next month, we haven't seen the giant robot yet!  I hope they don't; focus TOO much on the human side as we can get tanks from plenty of places.   

I think that will be the selling point, you can get a fair bit of stuff for the humans around and about, but flying saucers and the other goofy Martian stuff will be unique to that line.

I still want to swap out the modern US soldiers for 60's style ones, but the current crop of WW2 Americans just don't fit the bill for me... weird though it is that I should be a stickler for historical accuracy in this context.

::) 

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
I still want to swap out the modern US soldiers for 60's style ones, but the current crop of WW2 Americans just don't fit the bill for me... weird though it is that I should be a stickler for historical accuracy in this context.

You are not alone here, when I saw the modern troopers I was immidiately thinking "I need 50s or 60s GIs for that game!"
 ;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
Gish darn it, I'm in.  The extra 125 in swag for the pledge was too good to turn up.  To think, for the same money in Road/Kill, all I'd get was 20 little d6 sized cars!?!