Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: YPU's outrider project, plus anybody make rivets this way?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
YPU's outrider project, plus anybody make rivets this way?
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Jup, I am copying Lord Grey Wolf here, and I ain't even sorry.

For you not in the know Outrider is a semi-post poc card based car combat game. It can be played with just the cards but looks a lot more fun with converted cars on the cards. Its designed with roughly 1/64 cars in mind, ie. hot-wheels and cohorts.

Since my girlfriend likes documenting all crafting projects we do for school I decided it was time I use her dedication to that for some war-gaming as well. This will be the first project log I make, lets see how far I come before loosing interest and wandering of into so other project.

Its early days right now, I ordered a slew of 20mm machine-guns and grenade launchers from elhiem and S&S models. Lets see how long they take to get here.  lol On a side note shipping UK to EU was probably the most reasonable I have ever seen for both of these.

The past week or so I spend on the lookout for cheap cars in the right-ish size and here is what I have so far. I gave some of these cars a quick and dirty lining with a fine-liner to show the panelwork of a bit better.

All die-cast, the two grey on the left are 1/60 scale and came from a sale at a local toy store about €1 each The others are 1/72 I'm guessing and came in a single box from the supermarket at 6€ for 5. The right ones are very easy to disassemble while the ones on the right are nailed shut on one end which will take some drilling I'm afraid. managed to  pry one open far enough to take out the windows but then didn't get it back in again.  lol

Next lot are all plastic, and a bit bendy cheap plastic at that. 3 molds in different colours, hoping these will paint up ok with some plastic pre-primer on htem. Mostly went for these as they include a muscle-car which is hard to find here in europe and the high tech one reminds me of dark future interceptors. The windows are the same plastic but in black and stick out a bit on some of them, which might make them good bases for armour plating.  :)
They came in a huge car-moving truck which I ain't sure is in the same scale, it looks huge next to the other cars and I don't have any 20mm models at hand for perspective. In any case its too large to use in outrider as it wouldn't fit on a card but it might work as terain or in other games. The moving rig looks like it could work as a base for a classic combat rig mad-max style. Might still fit a car in there even. Idea's Idea's.  ;D

Other then that went to a local modelbuilding store I recently discovered I lived close to. Pretty friendly chaps. Bought some evergreen plasticard materials for armour and tubes to use as smaller weapons sticking out. So until the packages arrive these rides will only have their support weapons rather then their main deals. Also bought some wash of their own brand. Demo stuff they had lying around looked very good so I'm hoping the sand coloured one will dust these cars up nicely.

I am planing to start building the four cars for the introductory scenario and then start expanding the Republic of Texas Ranger force, I'm liking the idea of having a relatively large Law enforcement motor-pool. Always makes for a interesting opponent for other players as well I hope. So for now I need a gunslinger(muscle-car with 2 big guns) and a muleskinner (armoured transporter, need to get a van for this) in outrider colours and a linebacker (police cruiser) and interceptor (name says it all) in ranger colours.

On a side note, I "discovered" a quick method for making rivets today as well. Pretty sure some of you guys will already use it but all the same it might interest in it. For my goldsmith education I have a set of hand punches with concave points, these are meant for soft metals so they work on plasticard no trouble. first test looks like this.

Tools look like this.

This should help me give that riveted on armour plate look in no time.  :)

And now to work. Writing this post alone almost took me more time then I wanted to wait before starting to build something.  lol
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:55:16 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: YPU's outrider project, plus anybody make rivets this way?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
This week I had weapons/accessory sets from Stan Johansen and Aberrant delivered.   All are nice, I'll try to take some pictures later.  I'm about to go out and run some errands which include a trip to WalMart, where some hot wheels type cars may just find their way into my cart....

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »
You can also get plastic rod, cut slices, glue and give a stroke of a file.  They come out very well.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
You can also get plastic rod, cut slices, glue and give a stroke of a file.  They come out very well.

Bought a assortment pack of evergreen tube and rod as well so I'm going to compare the two.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
I used the cut rod method to make these rivets, but I think next time a slightly smaller gauge.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50274.0

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
Spend most of tonight printing and cutting Outrider cards. Almost there, mainly need to do the tokens and board tiles yet.  o_o

Also poked a few questions at gregg over on BGG, managed to find a discrepancy in the rules.  ;D

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:52:45 AM »
I like the idea of the punches better than cutting all those rivets from plastic rod.  If I had need of just a few I think the rod is a good method, but the punch would be better for producing many panels.  Just my opinion.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: YPU's outrider project, no progress whatsoever
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »
I had a minor surgery to my foot yesterday so I am currently couch bound, still have to figure out how I can sit behind my workbench with my leg up. However my girlfriend has started picking up on my hobby activity and just said she cant help but check the toystore for cars in the right scale.  :-*  :o She took one of the previously pictured cars with her fro reference and everything.

So no progress whatsoever but a soppy love story instead.  lol

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »
Just wanted to throw it out on the Outrider threads that the entire line of rules is on a FREE status. Head over to WargamesVault and grab it. Nice for those that wanted to try it out.

I can say the Starter Deck links aren't working. Lets you choose it but says there is no format for downloading. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Grimm