Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690727
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Africa  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Mancheīs Walpurgisnacht
Dark Africa
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »
I have played an small game using the Beta version of "Spectre: Operations Infantry Rules" using my small collection of Eureka Miniatures figures. Here are the participants (well, the painted ones):

I donīt like the rules, but I know they are a beta version. Here in my blog is the AAR and my personal impressions:
http://adfinis2014.blogspot.com.es/

Cheers!

Offline Spectre Miniatures

• Librarian
Re: Dark Africa
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »
Great looking game, thanks for giving the rules a try.

I think from reading your comments you found the shooting too dangerous?
This is completely intentional on our part. To replicate modern warfare the best we could on the table top we really wanted to make players utilise the cover on the table as much as possible and really think about where they are going to move. If you stand in the open in front of someone with an assault rifle you are going to have a bad day!

All feedback is welcome, although I would suggest that you should try another game and equip the contractors with body armour, make them elite status and keep the rebels at militia status. You should notice a big difference  :)
www.spectreminiatures.com
Bleeding edge warfare in miniature

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Mancheīs Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
Hi!

1.- Yes, I think that for a game this size, with so few figures in one side (if you donīt want to put 40 of them in the other), the shooting is too directly dangerous (it could be easier for me in Spanish language...). I know this is a beta version, with really few and simple rules, but the shooting is too dangerous, IMHO, for an skirmish game. Three contractors situated behind walls were killed in the second turn by a bunch of poor militiamen! They were no crossing an open space, nor charging nor standing in the open. Too easy, when we can see in TV that a modern firefight is much about shots and suppression before the fighter close and the real damage is done.

I think the Suppression pins could be for the whole unit and not only for a model that has been not hit. And I donīt like the mechanism of the Lethality roll. Your figure is lost anyway. Why the difference between a "mortal wound" and a "killed" effect? Why not something as a "light wound", "serious wound" and "killed"?

2.- Is the only option I have to give the figures body armour and an "elite" status? Iīm tired of games between fantastic special forces and poor militias; I like a lot the idea of overweight contractors and simple regulars fighting diehard militias.

3.- My idea is to play a game with "Skirmish Sangin" (a great ruleset for small asymmetric skirmishes IMHO) and then repeat the scenario with "Spectre" looking for the things I would like to see.

Iīm sure the final edition is going to be really good, and Iīm very interested in the thematic and figures you have chosen, so I whish you a lot of luck with the adventure!
Are you going to have civilians? VIPīs? Downed pilots?

Cheers!

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Great looking game and comments,all new rules need a second run,because also I think everybody always compare to rules they have played. Again great game and setup. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ModernAfricanBushwars