Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:25:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dipping in 15mm  (Read 2608 times)

Offline SgtKiley

• Schoolboy
Dipping in 15mm
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »
For the first time in (literally) decades, I've some 15mm figures to paint, and I'm in a dilemma as to whether to dip 'em or brush on a wash - or even bother with one - as I've only done 28mm using one (dips weren't around when last I did any 15mm!). The figures are the "By Fire & Sword" figures, really nicely detailed (so I don't want to muck 'em up). What does anyone else do, please?

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
Re: Dipping in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 01:53:00 AM »
Hi,
I started dipping 18mm AB figures a few months ago. I actually paint it on and then go back and highlight a bit - my first efforts were with Napoleonic Spanish and AP Dark Tone. There are some pictures of the Spaniards just after the gunk has been applied here: http://tenfiguresaweek.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/18mm-spanish-army-painter-applied.html

If you paint it on then you don't use so much (after all it isn't cheap) as if you actually dip the figure, and you have much more control if you use a brush to "mop up" excess dip.They recommend leaving it 24 hours to dry but I found that if I painted it on then it didn't take more than two or three hours to get to the point where I could add a few highlights here and there.

I must admit I was quite apprehensive before I applied it and right after I whacked on the dip for the first few figures I was convinced I'd ruined them until the dip started to flow and I could see some results. The flat varnish lightens them up a bit again. And you need to paint over a white overcoat and use brighter colours than normal because the AP darkens things quite a bit.

I have bought (but not used) their mid-tone so I don't know how that works.

Malc 

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
If you want to make some fast shading, I would go with citadel washes (or other brand similar products, if any) instead of stain dipping.

The dipping is pretty thick, not very compatible with small scales.

I'm new in small scales (10mm) but I heard that people were especially using devlan mud wash (or similar).

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
SundayHero - I'd disagree totally about AP being too thick for small figures - certainly if you actually dip the figures into the AP there is a loss of control that makes it look terrible where it pools too heavily but if you apply it with an old brush you get much better control (and use less AP per figure) over how the dip pools.

Take a look at the results Paul Alba has been getting with Army Painter here: http://napoleonicsinminiature.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/saxons-wip.html If you follow his progress over the following 15mm Saxon posts you'll see he gets quite remarkable results for less effort than before.

It was Paul's results that convinced me to give it a try. I found that even an incompetent and very slow painter like me can now bang out a 32 figure Spanish battalion over the weekend - and have it look respectable. Paul has used it with Russians and Prussians too so it isn't just applicable to white coated troops. Unfortunately I have the attention span of a gnat so painting my Spanish is going to take some time.....

I can see how Devlan Mud (or whatever it is called these days) has applications painting model soldiers but I'm not convinced that sloshing it all over a figure as you would a "dip" is the best way to use it.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Wow, Paul's Saxons look terrific!

I too am an advocate of the brush and controlled application. I love the AP dips. Also their washes which are terrific. I have stopped using Vallejo or anything else for washes now.

I say try a test figure with the dip, and see what happens!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
SundayHero - I'd disagree totally about AP being too thick for small figures

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I never used army painter product, I was talking about wood stain. At least the one I'm using (also brushed, not dipped) seems too thick for small scale minis ;)

edit : following the link you gave, the result is really good. I may finally test some brushed wood stain (but a bit thinned down, since mine is a bit thick as I explained) on some minis myself, thanks  ;)

I'll post results on my 10mm topic. And I'll compare with washes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:12:58 PM by sundayhero »

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:25 AM »
Hi,

I use the dip on some of my 15mm stuff, especially on projects/armies that have been sitting around for years, either half done or never started.

Like Littlearmies I was rather apprehensive when I first applied it, but was really pleased with the results.

Like Grant and Littlearmies, I brush the dip on and then collect the excess dip when it pools. Once dry I use a matt varnish (I use Dullcote). If I feel the miniatures need it, I will touch up a few areas.

I live in Australia and use CABOT"S Interior Varnish Stain which is water based.

This is one 15mm unit I've painted using the dip method. I touched up the flag.

And these are some DBA/HOTT armies -
http://s92.photobucket.com/user/LeadBear/library/HotT%20and%20DBA%20Picts?sort=3&page=1
http://s92.photobucket.com/user/LeadBear/library/HotE%20Zulu%20War?sort=3&page=1
http://s92.photobucket.com/user/LeadBear/library/HotT%20Medieval%20Arthurian?sort=3&page=1

All the best,

Barry

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »
That unit looks great! Well done, and shows that it works!  :)

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
My one big caution with this method is that, as well as picking out the detail in a casting, it also really highlights any imperfections in the figure - so spending more time in cleaning up the figures definitely pays dividends. I've found a couple of mould seams on my AB figures that I was barely aware of before! But overall, I'd highly recommend giving it a go - for those of us who block paint with the odd highlight in 15mm and call it done I'd say the basic stages to follow are:

1) Clean your figure really carefully - flash, mould seams and small details all get highlighted in the same way.
2) Undercoat in white, and block paint in lighter colours than you might normally use (so bright scarlet for British Line infantry rather than dark red. Don't get hung up about how garish it looks at this stage. Clean up any cock-ups now rather than later.
3) When you are all done apply the dip with an old paintbrush, if you see dip pooling more heavily than you want then use the brush to take away the excess. Don't be horrified at what you've just done to your best work.
4) When it is dry come back and just touch up a few details to make them pop. I use my original bright colours and just add a touch to plumes, facings, straps and the like.
5) Then use a good dull varnish - they are awfully glossy after the dip.

Then base and enjoy. I think if you are just looking for respectable wargames units then this gives a perfectly acceptable result in 15/18mm. I can see how you might want to do more with 28mm but that is a different issue.