Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Graven Images Border Reivers to be re-released by Crann Tara Miniatures  (Read 18917 times)

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
Re: Graven Images Border Reivers to be re-released by Crann Tara Miniatures
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
I also forgot to mention that I know some people say the figures are near 35mm that isn't the case, they are chunky and have girth. I know Jim used some of the Foundry swashbuckler figures as his sizing guide.
I will take some more comparison shots next week

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2013, 03:32:05 AM »
Nick,
First thanks for being the first to order, so I'm putting a an extra figure in which we haven't identified yet. Think it's a general but we can't find the mounted version. I'm sure you will like the figures and the casualty pack is nice.
For bases try Martin at Warbases.
I base mine on penny pieces and use martins 3mm trays with the cut outs. You can decide on size etc

Thank you Graham, for the additional bonus mini. I look forward to receiving my order,  from the packs being sent do you require painted examples for your webstore?
In regards to basing will the figures fit on a 20mm round base, as I would like to group 6 figures when required to a 60x60 movement tray for Pike & Shotte. Which size base will the horses fit, 25x50, 30 round, 25 round?

No, they really won't. They're a lot bigger and very different in style. Still, you've bought them now  :)

To be honest I'm not to fussed as I will mostly be using them by themselves. They are more for a side painting project while I work my way through a WOTR army(attached a poorly lit example).

Which rules would be recommended for a multiplayer evening game of Border Reivers?
Also other than the Hudson & Allen Highland buildings, does anybody produce the more ancient brochs?, and a stronghold?

Many thanks,

Nick

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
Nick, all the figures in the photos are based on 1p pieces the cavalry fit on a two p piece if that helps.
The Hot Trod rules are a available for free although we are working on a set the Hot trod provide a good game
Hope that helps

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »
I'm planning to tweak the "Sharp Practice" WOTR variant to produce a set of rules for the period - should be my main project for 2014, I hope.

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
Eventually got a comparison shot of Foundry against the Reiver figures.
Think you can clearly see the Reiver figures are bulkier but are the same height etc.
Reiver on the left Foundry on the right.
Hope that clarifies things

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Hmmm...

Well, the camera never lies, so I stand corrected  :)

Very peculiar, I have to say...
I picked up and closely looked at the Graven Images figures many times at shows. I weighed them in my hand, and repeatedly considered adding them to my Foundry swashbucklers and Vendel collection. And they always looked and felt huge by comparison. So I never did. 

I shall have to get hold of a few and make a fresh comparison for myself, to see how I got it so wrong...  ::)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Hmmm...

Well, the camera never lies, so I stand corrected  :)

I picked up and closely looked at the Graven Images figures many times at shows. I weighed them in my hand, and repeatedly considered adding them to my Foundry swashbucklers and Vendel collection. And they always looked and felt huge by comparison. So I never did. 

I shall have to get hold of a few and make a fresh comparison for myself, to see how I got it so wrong...  ::)

They are about the only ones that would match. There is a little flex in the ranges, from memory the Owen pike are more slight so dont fit quite as well and a few of the pike/spear armed Monolith sculpts are a bit chunkier.

I think for skirmish though they work ok.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »
Hmmm...

Well, the camera never lies, so I stand corrected  :)

I shall have to get hold of a few and make a fresh comparison for myself, to see how I got it so wrong...  ::)

It's trick photography. The GI mini is actually a few cms further away from the lens. ;)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
...Well, the camera never lies...

My new ones haven't arrived yet so I can't tell if casting has made a difference, but the batch I painted were bulkier, and seemed much heavier.  Also, IIRC the base thickness was more than in the photo.  The sculpting style of the blade weapons also gives the impression of bigger  Leaving aside the base thickness the height is as I recall.  Definitely a different sculpting style though, so some may still not want to mix.  Wouldn't bother me though.

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
I've got all the figures for the orders cast. I'm packing tomorrow and aim to get all the orders out on Monday. If anyone is going to Fiasco come say hello.
I've also briefed the new sculptor re Gallowglass.
All the moulds we are using are the originals although I aim to get some new moulds set up in the new year.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
I have the Foundry swashbucklers, which I have been wanting to add to for some time with these figures. Thanks for posting the comparison shot - I look forward to receiving my order!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
Mine arrived today.   :)

Only time for a very quick look, but first impression, slightly better casting than the "originals."  Less flash.  Obviously harder metal too.

Very nice figures, highly recommended.   :)

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
Glad you like them! (Big sigh of relief).
After Christmas we will be making new moulds for the horses as they are a pain to cast!
I've also asked the sculptor to make a trotting horse in the style of theses so let's see what comes back.
He's also starting on the first 6 Gallowglass so fingers crossed.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »
Glad you like them! (Big sigh of relief).
After Christmas we will be making new moulds for the horses as they are a pain to cast!
I've also asked the sculptor to make a trotting horse in the style of theses so let's see what comes back.
He's also starting on the first 6 Gallowglass so fingers crossed.

From my point of view, it is only the horses in this great range that I do not like... No chance to fit them to some other mounts?