Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Deer Hunter's tribute  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Re: A Deer Hunter's tribute
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »
Great to see this coming together! :D

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
that looks great, though it does look like youre trying to wipe out the deer population.... lol

Well, it is based on an actual event  ;)

Got the 3 hunters mostly painted yesterday.  Still no sign of my last bits of scenic materials though  :?  It was supposed to take 5-10 business days, its now been 13 business days.  Could just be the Christmas season though...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
Looks really cool! I'm looking forward to the final result!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:11 AM »
Update time!  The figures are more or less finished... might have a small touchup to do  here or there, but I am pretty happy with the results.  The blacklining turned out a bit strong in some places, but I think it works in this setting as the figures have many similar colours so it keeps the different parts separate.

And a few shots within the diorama:

There is still a bit of work to do with the ground litter and adding a few stray leaves to the trees, plus a couple little surprise details too.  Hope to wrap that stuff up tomorrow.  My scenic bits have not yet arrived though :(

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »
One word: awesome.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Spicker

• Bookworm
  • Jakob Spicker
    • My Picasa Pictures
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »
What an absolutely brilliant idea and very well executed. I think it is a well thought through and beautiful tribute to your father and the time you spend together.
"...Smith suspected that she now saw him as a contemptible, worthless eunuch, or, in the parlance of women, a friend."

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Very nice. The paint jobs on the deer are particularly nice! Where did you get the deer figures?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Looks great!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Very nice. The paint jobs on the deer are particularly nice! Where did you get the deer figures?

The deer are by foundry.  I used two from this pack:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Medieval-Deer-Hunt-MED519-/151046611511?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item232b146237#ht_615wt_1123

And two of the roe deer:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/general-purpose-animals-carts-and-baggage/woodland-animals-collection-bcgpr009/

A couple had to be modified to be prone, and the tails were elongated to make them more in line with white-tailed deer.  I too am  happy how the deer have turned out.  I bought the new GW paint 'Blood for the blood god' to try out the blood effect on them.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »

Really nice work. I especially like the dog mini. I would buy them all if they were to became available to the public 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
As a fellow hunter, all I can say is WOW! Love the dog sculpt and the paintwork on those deer. And the basework is brilliant too.

But judging from the amount of your "kills" I'd say that game over there in Canada is a bit more plentiful than here :P
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
It depends where you are hunting.  Our area has a pretty healthy deer population.  That being said, the last time our hunting crew got 4 deer in one stretch of bush was over 20 years ago.  This was a very memorable morning.  ;)  This year we got a total of 9 deer over 2 weeks.  I would say our average crew size was 8-10 guys, but some days we had up to 15 people.

As for making the figures available, I can consider it in the new year.  Basically, I would need to do a couple things:

- cover the casting costs for enough figures for a production mould.
- cover the costs of the production mould.  It would probably be easiest to put them all on the same production mould if possible and just make them available as a pack.
- figure out logistics, as I am in Canada and the master mould is with Griffon moulds in the UK

I don't really care to recoup the costs I put into the project at this point, but any further development is beyond my needs.  I would do a bunch of these at cost for folks, but unless there is enough interest, it might be too pricey for the few folks involved?

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
Looking great!
You could always have a "local" firm make a production mould from the masters, you'd just need enough "pre orders" to pay for it, the castings and the postage. 20 sets at £10 each plus postage should do it but maybe get Chrismas out of the way!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 05:58:28 AM »
Looking great!
You could always have a "local" firm make a production mould from the masters, you'd just need enough "pre orders" to pay for it, the castings and the postage. 20 sets at £10 each plus postage should do it but maybe get Chrismas out of the way!

That could work indeed... will look into it later, after the craziness of Christmas!

Well, my stuff never arrived, but I finished the project nonetheless.  I wanted to add some ferns to the ground cover, but I can always do that next time I see my folks.  I am happy with the result, regardless.  The bits that I have been waiting to add were my grouse figures.  Yep, I had my sculptor make 4 little grouse for me!  They were really fun to put together.  Anyway, here are a few pictures of the final product.  We got a new camera and I am still trying to get the hang of it, but hopefully the pictures turned out ok.

Can you spot the blood trail?

The last grouse :

If all goes well, the gift will be delivered on Sunday... very excited!

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:44 AM »
brilliant :o :-*
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese